intel C2D E6400
Gigabyte DS3
2gb OCZ pc-6400
BFG 8800gts 320mb
250gb WD caviar
Corsair HX520w PSU
Vista premium x64

and the problemo:

So after getting really excited recieving my £900 worth of stuff i set out to build my first ever PC. Everything went great and had no troubles apart from finding cabling hard. Install vista on the dektop that is way off resolution that i had expexted and then went to install the driver CD that came with my GFX Card containing the drivers. IM feeling so excited

To my dissapointment when the drivers get to the end of the installation i get the message: "No changes were made to your computer, please reinsert the CD to try again at a later time"

BUMMER! the dam drivers wouldnt install. so i thought id give it another go, same problem. i restart, no different. the card doesnt show up in the device manager and im unsure if it should before drivers?
would the vista install detect it on installation and just have it woth no drivers or is it normal to just have the Standard VGA graphics adapter" that i currently hve in the device manager.

so anyone know what the problem is?

PS.

The 24 pin and ATX 12v are plugged in
The single PCI-E power cable to power the card is in
and i THINK it is seated correctly, its in as far as it can go and is clicked into the slot and screwed in

tigerboyce

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
sort have tried that, as i cannot connect directly with this PC as my AOL MODEM (BT voyager 105 junk) isnt vista capable (what a suprise)

so i downloaded to a flashpen and still got no card same problems

daverimer

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
how and what? also how do i tell bois all i know is that i have the rev.3.3 board

I am at work so I don't have concrete evidence to go off of BUT, using CPU-Z one of the tabs tells you your bios version (F1-F10 on the DS3). Unfortunately this would require you to DL the program and transfer it on you USB drive. Also, not sure if CPU-Z is compatible with Vista 64.

And I think Rev 3.3 boards ship with F10 but again I don't know for sure.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
CPU-Z is compatible with x64. The bios that ships with rev 3.3 shouldn't be a problem..

An important question is, do have the 965P or the 965G.. if you have the 965G, this is onboard video and would need to be disabled in BIOS.

However, if you have 965P I can only suggest downloading drivers via nvidia or guru3d.com, and putting them on pen drive and copy to pc. I use 158.18 on Vista Ultimate x64. Try installing them in safe mode.. I would not recomend installing drivers from CD, as they tend to be old and rubbish.

tigerboyce

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
oh and by safe mode do you mean me turning off the computer by holding powwr button and then selecting safe mode on the list?

Malno

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Do you have a bios setting "init display first" (page 37 on the manual I downloaded)?
Set it to "peg" rather than the "pci" default.
Does this do the trick?

tigerboyce

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
just checked and i can confirm that it is set to PCI atm.. ill give it a go, surely that only changes what is displayed first? and isnt PCI the correct one

i just dont what to have to reset cmos as im kinda scared lol will it still boot far to revert the change if its wrong?

Malno

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Sorry, I think you can ignore my previous post, as that setting is for when you have both pci and pcie graphics cards in the same system!
I thought it was what the manual was referring to in the "installation of expansion cards " section, where it says "if necessary, setup bios utility of expansion card from bios" (page 18).

Just a thought, are you sure the power lead is firmly in?

tigerboyce

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
ok i thik that setting is if you want to give your systema very small improvement in boot time..

and i pretty sure the power cable is fuly in, i guess your talking about the pci-e power? as it could be the 12v rail too which i did find quite a stretch to fit, but i did try it with the cable just going over the card and up to the left of the cpu

Malno

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Yes the pci-e cable I meant. Its also worth checking its plugged into the PSU end properly too, as you have modular cables. Are all the sockets on the PSU the same, or does the VGA cable have to go into a particular socket?

Malno

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Another thought, did you install the chipset drivers for your motherboard?

Also, have you got another old pci-e graphics card you can test in your new system by any chance? If a known good card works, then it suggests a problem with your new card; if the known good card won't work either, then you may have a faulty motherboard.

If you haven't already tried, then remove and reseat your new card, just in case its not firmly in the slot, although this is unlikely as you're getting a vga output.

I expect you're right about the power cables, but I have'nt used a modular psu myself, and wondered if the pci-e cable had to go into a particular socket on the psu. If they supply two cables, then try swapping them, and also try a different socket on the psu.

tigerboyce

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
got it working last nght.

the problem was the chipset drivers in that the mobo cd isnt vista compatable and therefore i had to dwnload off the internet. the difference i why it worked this time instead of the [revious trys is the latest drivers installed on the chipset whereas the CD ones wouldnt :(

anyway happy oblivion gaming for me :D

Thanks all :trophy:

tigerboyce

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
hmm not sure about that though, as when the CD loads up it gives you three options:

NON-vista
Vista 32
Vista 64

oh well i dont reall care now though bcos its working :)))