Sign in with
Your question

Problem! (0xc0000005) memory access violation?

Last response: in Windows XP
February 2, 2007 7:57:34 PM

Hi :) 

Ok, so I've been having this memory access violation problem since yesterday, but let me tell you about my computer first. I built it in August 2006:

AMD Athlon 3800+ 2.4ghz socket am2
Asus M2N-E mobo
2 x 1gb corsair ddr2 ram
sapphire radeon x1900 512mb
creative soundblaster audigy2 zs
seagate barracuda 7200 320GB hd

After I built it, it ran smoothly for about a month, but then it started having blue screen of death errors with a few different messages (page fault in non paged area, irql not less than equal, etc..) and different files specified in the messages ("atikvmag.dll, win32k.sys, ati3dvag.dll, npfs.sys, Lmouke.sys, dxg.sys, etc..). The errors happened about once a day, but I wasn't really concerned because everything seemed to be running fine otherwise. I regularly update graphics/sound drivers and run ad aware. I don't know if any of this is related to my current problem, but it probably is.

Anyways, to the problem... Yesterday morning I was thinking that I should run the disk defragmenter because I have never used it since I built the PC in August, so I defragged my C drive (I have the C drive as my operating system (windows), E as my pagefile, and F for applications) and left the defragmenter running while I went to class. When I came back, I had a new blue screen of death error (driver_overran_stack_buffer) so I rebooted like I always do. At this point I realized that some of my programs no longer worked. Windows Media Player opened but was unable to play any songs. Norton Antivirus seemed to be working, but I couldn't open the "protection center" (error msg: unable to start the integrator"). Microsoft Word didn't work (error msg: word has encountered a problem and needs to close). Also, none of my large games worked(Counter-Strike: Source, Age of Empires III, Battlefield 2, Rainbow Six Vegas). For Word and all of the games, the error that I get immediately after trying to open them is "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application" (then I click OK and the box appears again with the same message, and then goes away after the second time). I figure that all of these errors must be related, but I don't know why they are happening.

I've tried alot of things to fix them, and im hoping not to have to reformat everything. I tried updating graphics drivers (maybe they became corrupt somehow even though I updated them 1/10/07) but the install program now has an error as well and I don't know how to install them manually. I tried running all kinds of anti virus programs and spyware detectors in safe mode (ad aware, panda software, trend micro) and my system appears clean. I've used Hijack This. I ran memtest86 which said that my ram had no errors. I tried disabling startup processes, and I tried reinstalling the programs that had errors (reinstalling Windows Media Player worked, but reinstalling the games/MS word did not work).

Any help you can give me is much appreciated

Thank you
February 2, 2007 10:12:03 PM

That problem is hardware related.

Just as an aside, do not use XP's defragger - it's Diskeeper Lite, approx. v4 - it's bare bones. Not recommended. One of the best investments you could make is in Raxco's Perfect Disk.

It's tough to find bad Corsair memory - but how long did you run Memtest? Minimum of four hours is necessary.

The next suspect is the power supply - what is it? You should be at least tier3 in this list, and within 3 years old.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

Next is the hd - which I don't suspect. You've experienced massive corruption in one day. That's not how hd's usually fail. Run the Seagate diagnostic on it.

Next is the mobo. We won't discuss that at this point.

Try a Restore point from a week or so ago. Start - Help & Support - look over on the right for Restore.

If of minimal help, do a Repair install (you won't lose your stuff). Pop in the XP cd & boot to it. At the first Repair screen hit Enter - at the second repair screen, hit R. On subsequent restarts, do not boot to the cd.
February 3, 2007 12:18:34 AM

Thanks alot for the quick response.

To answer your questions:
I ran memtest for about 30 min, but I'll try running it longer tonight.
I have an Antec TruePowerII 550w supply, which is tier 3 in the list, and it's six months old.
I ran the Seagate diagnostic quick tests, which came up with nothing, and I'll run the full tests tomorrow when I have more time.

I've tried system restore, but it does not work. I've tried restoring to two days ago, two weeks ago, and two months ago, and every time it says that the system could not be restored and that no changes were made.

I don't have my XP cd with me right now but I can ship it from home and get it here in a few days (I'm at college right now)

Thanks again, and I hope something works here :) 
Related resources
February 3, 2007 3:44:04 AM

Good troubleshooting requires solid testing. So, extending the memory & hard drive routines should officially rule them out; which is information.

Power supply is most likely okay.

You can borrow anyone's cd to do a repair - you just have to know your key. You have to use the same flavor & version, though.

Home SP2
Home OEM SP2
Pro SP2
Pro OEM SP2

Get SpySweepers' free scan.
Get AVG's free scan.

Might as well rule out infection.

You will work on ruling everything out - which will leave the mobo.
February 3, 2007 5:45:42 PM

Ok, heres what I've done:

I ran memtest for ten hours (19 passes) and it found no errors

I ran spysweeper and AVG which found a few tracking cookies but nothing else

I'm going to run the hard drive tests overnight tonight

I should be able to do the XP repair install early next week

Even though memtest found no errors, would it be worth it to remove one of the two sticks of memory and see if the problem still exists?

Thanks
February 3, 2007 6:49:24 PM

No! The memory is fine. The test has worked on both.
February 4, 2007 4:50:25 PM

I ran the hd diagnostic tests last night and they found errors in the file structure test "One or more errors were found in the index and One or more errors were found in metadata file records"

Here is the complete report:

Quote:
SeaTools Desktop v3.02.04
Copyright (c) 2005 Kroll Ontrack Inc.

2/4/2007 @ 5:39 AM

The following information has been generated by SeaTools Desktop. Use
this information to help you recognize and resolve potential data access
problems.

System Information:
BIOS Date 05/12/06
Conventional Memory size 638 K
Extended Memory size 58532 K
IO Channel type PCI

Drive Information:
SIZE MODEL
--------- ---------------------
320 GB BIOS Drive 0x80

Serial Number = N/A
Int13 Num = 80, PHYS CHS = 0x0x0.
ParmTable CHS, Rsvd = 38913x255x63

PARTITION CYLINDER SIZE
---------- ------------ ----
# Type Start End MB
PRIMARY
1 NTFS 0 3915 32212
EXTENDED
2 NTFS 3916 4568 5371
EXTENDED
3 NTFS 4569 26877 183509

Diagnostic Results:

90-Second Test Result: Passed
Recommendation:
The "Quick Test" is adequate for most situations.
Consider running the "Full Test" which
verifies each sector on the drive if you need to run a more
comprehensive diagnostic.

SMART Status Check Result: Not Tested

S.M.A.R.T., (S)elf (M)onitoring (A)nalysis and (R)eporting (T)echnology, a built-in hard disk drive failure prediction method reports an 'Alert' if a problem has occurred. It reports 'Passed' if no problems are found and 'Unsupported' if a hard disk drive does not support S.M.A.R.T.
Full Diagnostic Scan Result: Passed

File Structure Test Result:

Partition 1 (NTFS (32.2 GB) OS) Result: Failed with critical Errors

The following errors were found while scanning the volume:
- One or more errors were found in the index
- One or more errors were found in metadata file records

NOTE: Any report of possible errors in the file system tests are for
informational purposes only. We suggest you should consider testing with
the official file system diagnostic utilities for your operating system.
Seagate is not able to assist with troubleshooting or reviewing
file system test results.

Partition 2 (NTFS (5.3 GB) Pagefile) Result: Failed with critical Errors

Partition 3 (NTFS (183.4 GB) Applications) Result: Failed with critical Errors

Recommendation:
All selected physical diagnostics passed.

If you are not experiencing data loss and SeaTools reports File
System Structure errors, they may be caused by a lock-up or
failure to shutdown Windows correctly. Many times, these errors
may be repaired through normal system maintenance which
includes using the Windows provided "Defrag" and
"Scandisk / Chkdsk / Error Checking" utilities.

If you are experiencing a hardware error, you should isolate
the cause and replace the failing component. If you are unsure how
to proceed with repairs, contact a computer professional. After
completing any maintenance tasks, run SeaTools again to
verify that all errors have been repaired. If errors continue to
occur, the system may not be stable. Again, contact a computer
professional.

========================================================

I don't really know what these results mean, but I hope we've found something important :) 
February 5, 2007 3:06:39 AM

Disable the pagefile on partition 2. Go without one - you have more than enough memory to compensate.

Your hd passed the physical.

Run the Repair install.

You may never know what caused the corruption. My bet is always with hardware. In your it's sporadic - the toughest to troubleshoot.
February 5, 2007 3:23:20 AM

Ok I'm going to get my windows cd in the next few days, so I'll try the repair install first. If that doesn't work, I'm going to do a full reformat/reinstall and use Seagate's disc editor to fill my hard drive with zeros. I'll report in later this week with results

Thanks alot for your help so far :D 
February 10, 2007 6:21:03 PM

Well, I reformatted and everything seems to be working again. Counter-strike still freezes at times, but everything else is working fine.

Thanks for all of your help on this problem :D 
!