Sign in with
Your question

Need advice before installing Vista Premium.

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 2, 2007 10:01:49 PM

Okay, today I went to Circuit City and got the Home Premium full retail version of Vista. Before installing I need some advice.

Rig:

Gigabyte GA-8N SLi Royal
Pentium D 840 Smithfield
4x512Mb DDR2 533Mhz Corsiar XMS2 Pro
2x7800GTX 256Mb SLi
2x74Gb Raptor
X-Fi Extreme Music soundcard

I'm currently running XP Home Edition. Hard drive configuration at Nvidia raid 0.

Should I got ahead and install Vista or should I go dual boot and if so how would I do it? Haven't done it before so I'm seeking advice to how should I install Vista on raid0 which has the XP on it already. And how would be do the switching to run either Vista or XP.

Thanks guys.

Here it is:

February 4, 2007 5:45:05 AM

First of all, how do you have so many posts and not be a raid expert? I don't know much on the subject as I have just built my first computer, but I just got done reading tons of stuff about dual booting under the hard disk section under hardware. It is my understanding, that you cannot dual boot in raid 0. I'd rather not offer advice on a subject though that I am not well versed in. Check out that section- it is stuffed full of answers to your question in the first 10 threads.
m
l
February 5, 2007 1:37:52 AM

Can't run Vista on raid with this mobo. Called the support and they said they haven't tried it themselves nor they have a driver for it yet. For now I'm running XP on raid and the Vista on a single drive. Besides the Vista is not supporting my SLi so I'm still using the XP for gaming. For browsing and entertainment the Vista is a good one. I'm currently learning how to use the speech recognition better. I think I have the wrong microphone for this.
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2007 4:02:25 AM

Thsi is probably a question for another thread, but what is the advantage of running dual graphics cards with sli?
m
l
February 11, 2007 10:58:08 PM

More graphics power, so more frames per second, and good performance at silly resolutions.
m
l
February 12, 2007 3:47:45 AM

Quote:
Can't run Vista on raid with this mobo. Called the support and they said they haven't tried it themselves nor they have a driver for it yet. For now I'm running XP on raid and the Vista on a single drive. Besides the Vista is not supporting my SLi so I'm still using the XP for gaming. For browsing and entertainment the Vista is a good one. I'm currently learning how to use the speech recognition better. I think I have the wrong microphone for this.

Oh good. I was just about to tell you to make sure u dual boot Vista with XP. I had to learn the hard way. I was stupid and assumed that Vista would be more RAID friendly than XP. Well it isn't. The god damned driver support for RAID under Vista sucks donkey cubes.

So now I'm stuck with this stupid configuration:

2x74GB Raptors. NOT in RAID. WinXP installed on one of them
1x320GB HDD with Vista on it
1x250GB JBOD drive that's completely useless in Vista because it's on a silicon image RAID controller that isn't supported in Vista.

Pisses me off.
m
l
!