Seeking advice before installing Vista Premium

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Okay, today I went to Circuit City and got the Home Premium full retail version of Vista. Before installing I need some advice.

Rig:

Gigabyte GA-8N SLi Royal
Pentium D 840 Smithfield
4x512Mb DDR2 533Mhz Corsiar XMS2 Pro
2x7800GTX 256Mb SLi
2x74Gb Raptor
X-Fi Extreme Music soundcard

I'm currently running XP Home Edition. Hard drive configuration at Nvidia raid 0.

Should I got ahead and install Vista or should I go dual boot and if so how would I do it? Haven't done it before so I'm seeking advice to how should I install Vista on raid0 which has the XP on it already. And how would be do the switching to run either Vista or XP.

Thanks guys.

Here it is:

danny9894

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
First I would check if all of your hardware and peripherals have vista compatible drivers and then see if all of your programs that you use work with vista. I mean if you want to find out for yourself you could just partition one drive and install vista on it. See how it works and if you like it delete the xp partition and your all set.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Ok with my hard drive I'm using 2 74Gb Raptor in Raid 0. I may be able to raid the Vista.

As for partitioning, does it allow for me to choose how much space to set for the new partition? How would I switch from XP to Vista?

I'm almost positive my motherboard will have now problem with Vista. The graphics cards and sound card have Vista support.

danny9894

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Ok with my hard drive I'm using 2 74Gb Raptor in Raid 0. I may be able to raid the Vista.

As for partitioning, does it allow for me to choose how much space to set for the new partition? How would I switch from XP to Vista?

I'm almost positive my motherboard will have now problem with Vista. The graphics cards and sound card have Vista support.
Your motherboard should be fine, usually for me I just worry about vid card & sound card but then again I use onboard lol. Use partition magic and it'll let you decide how you want to partition the drive. (How much space, drive letter, etc)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Got the Vista running on a single 74Gb raptor. No dual boot since the Vista don't support raid on this mobo yet. Anyways got the driver running for my video cards and sound card. Vista 32-bit. Haven't installed games yet. I'll do that tommorow.