Panasonic LCD EDTV - 16 x 9?

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 24, 2004 8:30:21 PM

I have a Panasonic LCD 22" 16 x 9 TV, about two years old. Very nice
picture from DVD. My impression is that this is an EDTV with 720p lines
which I guess means it upconverts from the DVD (regular 480
progressive).

Now, the question. I just upgraded my digital cable box to a HDTV -
ComCast box. I was psyched at the prospect of viewing HDTV material via
the 720p output setting (which the box has) and to watch HBO movies etc
in 16 x 9 instead of pan-scan. The TV has two progressive inputs.

But it didn't work out that way! The TV won't synch to 1080i or 720p,
only to 480p! OK, that's fine, it works for DVD. But I'm still having
trouble figuring out how to get the 16 x 9 picture from HDTV channels
such as HBO (Sopranos is HDTV, right?)

Any advice appreciated - Fred

More about : panasonic lcd edtv

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 1:40:10 AM

You are using component cables or DVI to connect to the cable box,
correct? Composite or S-Video do not carry HD signals. Of course, it is
also quite possible that a 2 year old 22" LCD widescreen does not have
the scalar hardware in it to handle an 720p or 1080i input signal.

Alan

J. Fredrik Hesselvik wrote:

> I have a Panasonic LCD 22" 16 x 9 TV, about two years old. Very nice
> picture from DVD. My impression is that this is an EDTV with 720p lines
> which I guess means it upconverts from the DVD (regular 480
> progressive).
>
> Now, the question. I just upgraded my digital cable box to a HDTV -
> ComCast box. I was psyched at the prospect of viewing HDTV material via
> the 720p output setting (which the box has) and to watch HBO movies etc
> in 16 x 9 instead of pan-scan. The TV has two progressive inputs.
>
> But it didn't work out that way! The TV won't synch to 1080i or 720p,
> only to 480p! OK, that's fine, it works for DVD. But I'm still having
> trouble figuring out how to get the 16 x 9 picture from HDTV channels
> such as HBO (Sopranos is HDTV, right?)
>
> Any advice appreciated - Fred
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 10:47:23 AM

The HD HBO channels do not show Sopranos because they are all old reruns.
They play old reruns on one of their other SD channels.

If your TV will only accept a 480p signal, you may be able to tell your
cable box to "squeeze" widescreen content to 4:3 and then set your TV to
"full" (thats what most TVs call it) so that it stretches the 4:3 back to
wide. I guess its kind of a fake anamorphic effect.

--Dan

"J. Fredrik Hesselvik" <fhess@bu.edu> wrote in message
> But it didn't work out that way! The TV won't synch to 1080i or 720p,
> only to 480p! OK, that's fine, it works for DVD. But I'm still having
> trouble figuring out how to get the 16 x 9 picture from HDTV channels
> such as HBO (Sopranos is HDTV, right?)
>
> Any advice appreciated - Fred
Related resources
November 25, 2004 10:52:01 PM

>>My impression is that this is an EDTV with 720p lines<< Impression????
What's your manual say? What does an on-line search say?
There is no such thing as EDTV. It's either standard (SDTV) or HDTV....and
if your set does 720x1280, then it's hdtv. But if it won't sync to a 720p
signal, then maybe not.
480i and 480p are SDTV.

"J. Fredrik Hesselvik" <fhess@bu.edu> wrote in message
>I have a Panasonic LCD 22" 16 x 9 TV, about two years old. Very nice
> picture from DVD. My impression is that this is an EDTV with 720p lines
> which I guess means it upconverts from the DVD (regular 480
> progressive).
>
> Now, the question. I just upgraded my digital cable box to a HDTV -
> ComCast box. I was psyched at the prospect of viewing HDTV material via
> the 720p output setting (which the box has) and to watch HBO movies etc
> in 16 x 9 instead of pan-scan. The TV has two progressive inputs.
>
> But it didn't work out that way! The TV won't synch to 1080i or 720p,
> only to 480p! OK, that's fine, it works for DVD. But I'm still having
> trouble figuring out how to get the 16 x 9 picture from HDTV channels
> such as HBO (Sopranos is HDTV, right?)
>
> Any advice appreciated - Fred
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 4:55:05 AM

EDTV is 480p. You cannot get 720p or 1081i pictures on an EDTV set. You
need an HDTV set for that.

mack
austin

"curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
> >>My impression is that this is an EDTV with 720p lines<< Impression????
> What's your manual say? What does an on-line search say?
> There is no such thing as EDTV. It's either standard (SDTV) or
HDTV....and
> if your set does 720x1280, then it's hdtv. But if it won't sync to a
720p
> signal, then maybe not.
> 480i and 480p are SDTV.
>

> "J. Fredrik Hesselvik" <fhess@bu.edu> wrote in message
> >I have a Panasonic LCD 22" 16 x 9 TV, about two years old. Very nice
> > picture from DVD. My impression is that this is an EDTV with 720p lines
> > which I guess means it upconverts from the DVD (regular 480
> > progressive).
> >
> > Now, the question. I just upgraded my digital cable box to a HDTV -
> > ComCast box. I was psyched at the prospect of viewing HDTV material via
> > the 720p output setting (which the box has) and to watch HBO movies etc
> > in 16 x 9 instead of pan-scan. The TV has two progressive inputs.
> >
> > But it didn't work out that way! The TV won't synch to 1080i or 720p,
> > only to 480p! OK, that's fine, it works for DVD. But I'm still having
> > trouble figuring out how to get the 16 x 9 picture from HDTV channels
> > such as HBO (Sopranos is HDTV, right?)
> >
> > Any advice appreciated - Fred

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:00:49 AM

Thanks guys. Indeed I figured out that I only have a handful of HD
stations (in the 800's). The picture I get there is 16 x 9 and it is
clearly superior to regular cable channels. Whether this is due to the
input being 480p instead of 480i, I don't know. Regardless, I'm happy
(-ier)and I'm sure that a bigger HDTV set is on the horizon for me. For
now, this form factor works well in the room it's in. PS, when can we
expect the majority of cable channels to be in HD? Ever?

Fred

!