Next-generation, high-performance processor unveiled...

Quote:
The prototype for a revolutionary new general-purpose computer processor, which has the potential of reaching trillions of calculations per second, has been designed and built by a team of computer scientists at The University of Texas at Austin.
The new processor, known as TRIPS (Tera-op, Reliable, Intelligently adaptive Processing System), could be used to accelerate industrial, consumer and scientific computing

http://www.physorg.com/news96639628.html
16 answers Last reply
More about next generation high performance processor unveiled
  1. Quote:
    The prototype for a revolutionary new general-purpose computer processor, which has the potential of reaching trillions of calculations per second, has been designed and built by a team of computer scientists at The University of Texas at Austin.
    The new processor, known as TRIPS (Tera-op, Reliable, Intelligently adaptive Processing System), could be used to accelerate industrial, consumer and scientific computing.
    http://www.physorg.com/news96639628.html

When can i buy one? 8)
  2. Do they have a USB plug and play version of this? (lame joke, sorry)
  3. Finally, something I can run FSX with. :idea:
  4. See here for some interesting stuff...
    http://www.top500.org/
  5. Tech Coordinator, are they turning the compusa in madison heights into a frys?, the one south of 14 mile, not the one they are closing now. I heard it from a guy at my work.
  6. No I want the TRIPS 4x4!
  7. As long as the revolutionary chip hasn't been developed by Cyberdyne Systems Corporation, I'm okay with it :D
  8. And if it won't run x86 code as well as today's machines it's probably already doomed to failure, except for niche markets.
  9. HOOK'M HORNS!!

hah.. I'm starting my first year of college up at UT in Austin in about one month now.. pretty wicked, I won't lie.
  10. Yeah, but can it save AMD? :wink:
  11. hmm.. AMD IS pretty far behind...

Unless Intel pulls a sympathy chord for AMD... not happening
  12. that is because it takes comprehension of the facts...
  13. Uh, it IS dual-core. It is a dual-core, 16-issue (per core) processor.

I wonder how these guys will interface with the rest of the computer. With that much bandwidth, I'd have to expect a 16-lane PCIe at the minimum, maybe it'll slave off the HT bus or even sit in its own socket. This would be a good candidate for filling a socket in a Torrenze/Geneseo system.
  14. I went to UT and took a class from this guy (Dr Berger). I work for Intel now, and I always remember him raving about how bad Itanium is. He said it is what happens when you "lock up a bunch of CS and EE people into a room, and throw away the key." This was back in 2001, and TRIPS wasn't even new then.

I haven't talked to him in a while, and I wonder what he thought of Intel's 80-"core", tera-scale CPU.
  15. Quote:
    I cant tell AMD is far behind from here!

<Insert sarcastically worded response here>
  16. Running a couple of Turion laptops? Riiiiiiiiight...
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Computer Next Generation Processors