Sep 6, 2006
hi guys

i want to upgrade to vista. this is definite

but im unsure about the following

oem vs retail
upgrade vs full version
32 vs 64bit

im pretty sure i want vista premium.

the only thing is that i upgrade quite regularly like most of us here, so i shouldnt get oem right?

also the upgrade seems very long if you want to do a fresh install. i dont want to install xp and reinstall vista over it.

ive also been hearing that 32bit is the way to go because the the 64bit not being taken into mainstream yet. e.g. for drivers etc

so does that mean i should get: Vista Premium Retail Full version 32bit

the only thing is the retail is much more expensive then upgrade

what do you think?

thanks in advnce for your opinions

amd x2 4400 @ 2.7ghz
asus a8ne
corsair 2gb ddr 500
ati x1900xtx
2x 400gb sata
dell 2407 wfp
X-fi xtrememusic

ssp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004
Even if you're only going to buy a new PC a year from now or even later, go for the OEM.
The only reason I can think of to purchase the retail version is if you have already bought a new pc recently, in this case 64 vs. 32 is not an issue has the 2 come in package. In OEM I believe (not sure) you have to choose one, in that case (for the time being) go for 32bits.

(Retail vs. upgrade: I don’t know, but if it is confirmed that you can make a fresh install (even if it takes double the time) buy the upgrade)

fmfantasy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
The only way to go is Ultimate upgrade

1- It lets you do fresh installs any time you want I just booted from dvd and put in serial and it loaded nice and clean.

2- It is the best version and your covered no matter what your needs. The ultimate extras are kind of lame now but I guarantee they will put some major ones out to get everyone with basic and premium to then "anytime" upgrade to ultimate. I also think they will do things like only allow ultimate users to beta test major games or Live gaming and such when they come out.

3- It also allows you to buy 2 more Premium liscenses for your other comps for 49 each- or sell the extras to your buddies for $100 each and now it didnt cost you any more than premium.

4- It comes with the 32 and 64 bit dvd's in the case

5- None of the hassles or limitations of OEM or the lesser upgrade versions.

I went ultimate and 64 bit and will never look back- sure maybe I got a few minor challenges but I have the absolute best OS possible and will only get better is the way I look at it.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Wait... so you can use the Ultimate Upgrade package (which is supposed to be used to upgrade from like lower versions of Vista or XP) to make a fresh install? If that's the case then I'll just go buy that Vista Ultimate Signature (don't ask... it's already in another thread I started)