Formatting Dell and using reinstallation CD

knottshawk

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I'm switching computers and need to wipe my old computer hard drive so that I don't have any banking files or whatnot left on it.... If I completely format my hard drive, do I then just run my Dell reinstallation CD to put XP back on the system?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
you put in the xp cd and boot from the cd then you will be prompted to repair, install or exit, choose install (press enter) and follow the rest of the directions the cd will give you.

when you get to formating make sure you don't choose the quick one

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you want to be sure to get rid of personal data, you should overwrite it using a program like Window Washer. If your just installing a new hdd, the reinstallation disk should work but it you're trying to use it on a new machne, you likely won't be able to.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I can recover data that has been through widow washer, there is no real way of getting your data to be unrecoverable unless you defrag the hell out of drive every other day.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I can recover data that has been through widow washer, there is no real way of getting your data to be unrecoverable unless you defrag the hell out of drive every other day.

True but you can make it a lot more expensive and time consuming to recover if you overwrite it. It's like locking your car, if someone really wants to steal it, they will but for most thieves it's not worth the time or effort

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
true however who would want to look at your hard drive to begin with?

who ever it would be most likely would not be doing it for fun thus willing to go the extra distance.

so having your hard drive recovered is not something random that might happen like getting hacked or having your car stolen.

If somebody is trying to recover your hd they have good reason for it and they won't stop at that, would you agree?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If the cd is less than 5years old, it'll install on anything.

He'll have to call to get activated, though.

I thought recovery CDs were images of the hard drive after the mfg installed all the software and so would read the hardware wrong in a new computer, though I may be wrong about this

G

Up until a year ago, Dell's came with a Dell Windows XP CD as well as a Driver CD(s) and program installtion CDs. They changed to a hidden Recovery partition now that accessed by holding the CTRL F11 keys when you see the BIOS splash.

Grumpy

danny616

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
just reformat but remember if you get rid of the pc take the hard drive out.information could still be lifted even after wiping the drive clean!

There are utilities available to write zeroes to the entire drive. (Some will even do multiple passes). If you are that concerned about personal data being recovered, I suggest using this method... and if you're really paranoid, perform multiple passes.

Once you have done this, you will need to repartition the hard drive, format and reinstall Windows. This should make it virtually impossible to recover anything from the drive.

TRENDING THREADS