Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT Performance Benchmarks

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 24, 2007 9:55:38 AM

Hy guys...
This source seems credible enough Link
Anyway it's not even the 2900 XTX :lol:  ... it's looking like NVIDIA it's gonna take a hell of a beating.
April 24, 2007 9:59:39 AM

Nice very niiiiiiice :p 
Now wait for all the fanboys to come out and say : yea but it was this motherboard or memory or monitor or it was done at night or this driver or that setting, Or its photo shop or they had flames on there card, they cheated that gives another 10% FPS.
boo hoo.
April 24, 2007 10:05:32 AM

the 320 bit memory interface for 8800 can and will show better performance in resolutions above 1280x1024 with high AA settings. The performance under DX 10 will probably be the deciding factor, and that remains to be seen.

[Edit: corrected some typos ]
Related resources
April 24, 2007 10:07:04 AM

I’m curious though, how well does it stand when compared with a GTX …
April 24, 2007 10:08:30 AM

Quote:
Nice very niiiiiiice :p 
Now wait for all the fanboys to come out and say : yea but it was this motherboard or memory or monitor or it was done at night or this driver or that setting.
boo hoo.

LOL :lol:  You're right on that one ...
April 24, 2007 10:17:54 AM

yea that would be a good test 4 it
April 24, 2007 10:18:48 AM

From what I've seen from the article, I think that ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX will kill the GeForce 8800 GTX...

If you look at the specs for the 2900XT ... it has only 512 Mb Ram compared to 640 for the 8800 GTS, and the memory frequency is a little higher : 1,65 GHz vs. 1,6 GHz ... but it has a 512-bit memory interface vs. a 320-bit memory interface for 8800GTS ... 8800 GTX has 384-bit memory interface and 768 Mb Ram , but it will be killed by the 2900XTX with it's 1 Gb Ram and it's super high core and memory frequencies ...
April 24, 2007 10:18:54 AM

Looks damn good to me!
Might switch to AMD if they make a nice affordable version!
April 24, 2007 10:39:37 AM

Sorry for double posting ... it seems that I cannot delete the post once someone has reply on it ... :( 

But I mentioned there to everyone that the post is closed and ofered a redirect link to this one .
April 24, 2007 10:41:12 AM

Looks great, and since Dailytech were using their own PC, no one can say it was AMD "tweaked" system. Although I would gladly see 2900XT with Barce or Agena in action :wink:

Hats of to DailyTech for first true benchies, now gives as more food :)  Get better monitor to test with, steal Barce system for tests, etc. :p 
April 24, 2007 10:44:02 AM

no prob
so i saw

piesquared: reminds me a little of day of defeat. I played that one a lot till you had to pay for it.
April 24, 2007 10:47:57 AM

Quote:
no prob
so i saw

piesquared: reminds me a little of day of defeat. I played that one a lot till you had to pay for it.

IMO there still isn't a game out there that can match the game play of Allied Assault or even Spearhead. Especially mulitplayer. :)  I didn't mind Pacific Assault either, it's too bad it was so buggy.
April 24, 2007 11:05:08 AM

:D  It looks like ATI's cards will be worth the wait. Makes me glad I didn't jump the gun, and get an 8800 right away. Thanks for the benchmarks, DailyTech.
April 24, 2007 11:22:52 AM

lmao, those benchmarks for COD2 and HalfLife EP 1 are artificially low, I play both and have benchmarked at those resolutions with decent AA and AF and gotten much higher avg frame rates than those

and in the other couple of (more recent and known to be more hungry) games, there's like 0.7-1 fps difference between the 2 cards

yeah, that's worth waiting 6 months for
April 24, 2007 11:29:36 AM

why the fcuk did you post this in CPU? and why did you double post? please delete this thread.
April 24, 2007 11:30:09 AM

Yea, must be the core 2 extreme bottlenecking the video card, need to get it benched with k10 :lol: 
April 24, 2007 11:34:29 AM

Quote:
Yea, must be the core 2 extreme bottlenecking the video card, need to get it benched with k10 :lol: 

AMEN. .lol
April 24, 2007 11:35:38 AM

I´m not that impressed actually. I mean the XT vs the GTS? What that actually means is, that the XT is roughly equal to a GTX and that´s nothing to be proud of. Its not that i don´t like what i see, i welcome the competition and the price reductions that tend to come with it, but if i had waited for that thing since the introduction of the 8800 GTX, i´d be sad. Am i totally off here or should i wait until i see an Oblivion benchmark before i write the XT off as a overhyped chip? :?
April 24, 2007 11:38:45 AM

I don't know why there are 2 posts ... I cannot explain it , I only created the topic once ... must have been a mistake or something , I cannot delete a post once it's been replyed , only an administrator can do that.
April 24, 2007 11:41:36 AM

Quote:
From what I've seen from the article, I think that ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX will kill the GeForce 8800 GTX...

If you look at the specs for the 2900XT ... it has only 512 Mb Ram compared to 640 for the 8800 GTS, and the memory frequency is a little higher : 1,65 GHz vs. 1,6 GHz ... but it has a 512-bit memory interface vs. a 320-bit memory interface for 8800GTS ... 8800 GTX has 384-bit memory interface and 768 Mb Ram , but it will be killed by the 2900XTX with it's 1 Gb Ram and it's super high core and memory frequencies ...

Then again, ATi`s card is released how many months after Nvidia? By the time ATi get their finger out of their asses Nvidia will have G90 out. Btw they are now talking about Q3 release for R600 .. hahahahaha
April 24, 2007 11:41:44 AM

Quote:
Am i totally off here or should i wait until i see an Oblivion benchmark before i write the XT off as a overhyped chip? :?

There is an Oblivion benchmark in that article :lol: 

Oblivion :
2900 XT - 47.9 FPS
8800 GTS - 39.5 FPS
April 24, 2007 11:45:52 AM

thats more like it AMD :) 
April 24, 2007 11:50:30 AM

Quote:

Then again, ATi`s card is released how many months after Nvidia? By the time ATi get their finger out of their asses Nvidia will have G90 out. Btw they are now talking about Q3 release for R600 .. hahahahaha

It's not true ... Radeon HD 2400-series, Radeon HD 2600-series, HD 2900 and also the HD 2900 XTX will all launch in May ... that was just an unfounded rumor (launching in Q3)...

As to the performance ... I don't think we will see G90 until the end of the year and until than ATI might have R650 so you can never know ... those are just speculations , the facts are that R600 family of GPU's is better than G80 ...
April 24, 2007 11:52:44 AM

Quote:
I don't know why there are 2 posts ... I cannot explain it , I only created the topic once ... must have been a mistake or something , I cannot delete a post once it's been replyed , only an administrator can do that.

you didn't answer my first question. no worries, i'll answer it for you. you simply wanted to be the first in all the forums to post the news about these crappy benchmarks. nevermind that you posted this topic in TWO different forums and nevermind the fact that you posted a topic that has NOTHING to do with CPU's. so congratulations! you're the first idiot of the day to do this. here's a nice big cookie.

April 24, 2007 11:52:45 AM

Quote:

I confirm with that statement :D  Core 2 Quad Extreme is the Bottleneck soon enough of the Graphic Cards :lol: 
April 24, 2007 12:08:32 PM

I was honestly hoping for better performance than this. Considering the street price of a GTS is ~$400 now and will probably dip lower, compared to 499 for the AMD card, you don't get a whole lot. The percent difference ranges from close to 30% in older games down to 7% in some newer games. The GTX outperforms the GTS by 20-30%, so this card can't even consistently beat out a year-old GTX. GTX's will probably be close to 499 after this launches, they're hovering close to that number now, so I don't think ATI is going to pull off anything big here. I'm pretty disappointed.
April 24, 2007 12:16:51 PM

Quote:

you didn't answer my first question. no worries, i'll answer it for you. you simply wanted to be the first in all the forums to post the news about these crappy benchmarks. nevermind that you posted this topic in TWO different forums and nevermind the fact that you posted a topic that has NOTHING to do with CPU's. so congratulations! you're the first idiot of the day to do this. here's a nice big cookie.

I think you have a problem dude, so why don't you just relax a little and if that's not working than you can just go and post you're crap elsewhere
... How come you're the only one who is having a problem here ???
April 24, 2007 12:28:36 PM

Oh ... almost forgot ... in the future when you just feel like doing something constructive ... like your posting on this topic ...

PLEASE, JUST REMEMBER THIS !!!

April 24, 2007 12:29:08 PM

Quote:

I confirm with that statement :D  Core 2 Quad Extreme is the Bottleneck soon enough of the Graphic Cards :lol: 

In the past, ATI cards have not been "bottlenecked" by their CPU's to any measurable extent. This phenomena is pretty much only seen with Nvidia GPU's and has to do with the way the drivers are implemented more than GPU design. I don't know if it will be a factor with these new cards, but I doubt it.
April 24, 2007 12:37:20 PM

Quote:

In the past, ATI cards have not been "bottlenecked" by their CPU's to any measurable extent. This phenomena is pretty much only seen with Nvidia GPU's and has to do with the way the drivers are implemented more than GPU design. I don't know if it will be a factor with these new cards, but I doubt it.

DirectX 9 has an API overhead of 40% of CPU cycles. DirectX 10 will have about 20%. For DirectiX 9 a clever driver implementation could easily bring a perf increase and just as easy a faulty one would give a decrease or bottleneck. So basicaly the driver related performance issues will be smaller for DirectX 10.
April 24, 2007 12:40:27 PM

Nice, to bad they're $500 though... :( 

Anybody know which R600 variant is going to take over the 1950xt's market segment ($250-300 range.)? Kohinoor seems like a possibility.
April 24, 2007 12:47:40 PM

When I first saw the numbers I was like "holy shit!" but then I realized they were comparing it to the 8800GTS.
April 24, 2007 12:51:23 PM

Maybe they will lower the prices a little bit ... I think AMD want's to make up the lost ground and what better way to do that then bringing a superior product to the market with a lower price than the competition.
April 24, 2007 1:07:05 PM

Even though the source is Fudzilla they are saying the 2900XTX HAS BEEN DELAYED TO Q3 because the 1GB DDR4 RAM is running slower than the XT's 512 MB DDR3 RAM meaning the first batch of bleeping XTX is weaker than the XT!
April 24, 2007 1:10:29 PM

Quote:
Am i totally off here or should i wait until i see an Oblivion benchmark before i write the XT off as a overhyped chip? :?

There is an Oblivion benchmark in that article :lol: 

Oblivion :
2900 XT - 47.9 FPS
8800 GTS - 39.5 FPS

I ment a little more detailed benchmark i.e. Indoor, outdoor, min frames, max, frames etc.
April 24, 2007 1:11:25 PM

Wow - all the delays for this!!!!

Dang, ATI is in deep sheit... 8900s around the corner, Nvidia is one version ahead.
April 24, 2007 1:12:26 PM

Quote:

Wow I have never heard of that, could you post a link or review or something showing that ATI cards are never bottlenecked by the cpu?

I am drooling to see the XTX numbers now, who knows I may have to ebay this gtx. :twisted:

Nothing will happen till I can see some DX10 numbers though. :wink:
April 24, 2007 1:14:08 PM

Quote:

It's not true ... Radeon HD 2400-series, Radeon HD 2600-series, HD 2900 and also the HD 2900 XTX will all launch in May ... that was just an unfounded rumor (launching in Q3)...

As to the performance ... I don't think we will see G90 until the end of the year and until than ATI might have R650 so you can never know ... those are just speculations , the facts are that R600 family of GPU's is better than G80 ...

AMD/ATI releasing a product in time, per shedule and in quantity? :lol: 

Sorry, that is unheard of.
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2007 1:20:55 PM

Quote:

Dang, ATI is in deep sheit... 8900s around the corner, Nvidia is one version ahead.
Slow down willya? This "benchmark" wasnt done like regular ones in a very controlled enviroment, it was done on 12X10 only cause thats all they had at the time (monitor). When actual benches come out, with a full test, then we will all have a better idea of what this card can do
April 24, 2007 1:29:48 PM

Thats right, this is only 1 test wait for better drivers, different tests with AMD boards like the Barcelona etc, still way to early for its full potential to be revealed.
April 24, 2007 1:34:12 PM

Quote:

Wow I have never heard of that, could you post a link or review or something showing that ATI cards are never bottlenecked by the cpu?

I am drooling to see the XTX numbers now, who knows I may have to ebay this gtx. :twisted:

Nothing will happen till I can see some DX10 numbers though. :wink:

edit: I didn't mean "NEVER", obviously you can't run oblivion on a system that consists of a 1950XTX and a 486DX2/66......

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/29/geforce_8800_nee...
April 24, 2007 1:35:23 PM

Quote:

Slow down willya? This "benchmark" wasnt done like regular ones in a very controlled enviroment, it was done on 12X10 only cause thats all they had at the time (monitor). When actual benches come out, with a full test, then we will all have a better idea of what this card can do

Ok, I'll reserve judgement... but I do not understand the postive comments on this thread??

In absense of higher res benchmarks, there doesn't seem to be revolutionary shift in performance here.
April 24, 2007 1:36:44 PM

Quote:
Oh ... almost forgot ... in the future when you just feel like doing something constructive ... like your posting on this topic ...

Newbie, so is the R600 some sort of new CPU? I mean this is the CPU forum.

April 24, 2007 2:14:11 PM

Good link, although I think that the results had more to do with the new drivers for the 8800 and directx10, I highly suspect the the hd2900xt will also require a fast processor to avoid bottlenecking. I wouldn't expect the first(or second or third for that matter) round of catalyst DX10 drivers to be nearly as well optimized as the DX9 catalyst drivers that they have been perfecting for years.

I may be wrong, but it seems pretty likely. :wink:

Either way it seems to be a smokin card! I eagerly await the XTX benches. :mrgreen:
April 24, 2007 2:18:05 PM

I just want Barcelona @ 2GHz can beat Kentsfield @ 2.66GHz like this :wink:
April 24, 2007 2:22:23 PM

Quote:

Newbie, so is the R600 some sort of new CPU? I mean this is the CPU forum.

Ok so I've made a mistake ... so what??? I already apologized for it and did my best to lock the other topic and redirect???

I thought this is a civilized forum with civilized people!!! I don't think that calling peoples idiots is a normal behavior???

So I kindly invited him to relax and if not to take his insults elsewhere...

I don't think that being a Forum Resident gives you the right to insult people … or does it???

So anyway the point is … the man was way out of line and that’s way I answered him …

He could have said his point in a civilized manner don't you think so ???

I cannot do anything about the post now so his behavior was pointless anyway …
April 24, 2007 2:23:35 PM

I would consider it a CPU (gpu class).

But the guy picking on Moonskin was right.
!