Event Viewer: Failed Service driver makin me NUTS!

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm getting an error each time I boot my PC. It goes like this:

"A driver failed to load..bla..bla..See Event Log for details." So, I open up Event Viewer & am told this:

"The Windows Installer service terminated with the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."

When checking the Services applet, I notice "Windows Installer" is set to AUTOMATIC, but has not started. If I chose to start it, it does so without problems.
Its executable path is stated as "C:\WINNT\system32\msiexec.exe /V". If I look inside the system32 folder, I can find msiexec.exe, therefore am puzzled why the Windows Installer Service cannot find it. Also, this particular service shows that it has NO depedencies.

I did a bit of reading before posting this & found that the "Application Management" service is somehow related to the Windows Installer service. I checked its status & it is fine (STARTED > AUTOMATIC).

Ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

G

when you installed win 2k, did you use a network share file or the Microsoft CD?

ignore everything i say

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I used the CD. Everything was fine until I started messing with the services > that's when I started seeing the error prompt at startup.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
CompSci, I would like to thank you & Jasen very very much. Setting it to manual did the trick! :)

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy