Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade win 8 pro 32 bit to 64 bit

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
December 18, 2012 7:32:29 PM

how do I upgrade from win 8 pro 32 bit to win 8 pro 64 bit ?
December 18, 2012 7:35:19 PM

You can't. You'll need a new license and a clean install. You cannot upgrade a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS, it's simply impossible.
m
l
December 18, 2012 7:43:44 PM

dannoddd said:
You'll need a new license

Not true, your existing license key is valid for both 32 bit and 64 bit. You do, however, need to do a full reinstall.
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
December 18, 2012 8:27:14 PM

nbelote said:
Not true, your existing license key is valid for both 32 bit and 64 bit. You do, however, need to do a full reinstall.

Hi :) 

Thats not quite true....

If he tries it he will find it will NOT activate (as that key has already been used) , he will have to persuade MS Support to allow another activation, with no guarantee they will, which means he may well have to pay again...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 18, 2012 8:35:16 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Thats not quite true....

If he tries it he will find it will NOT activate (as that key has already been used) , he will have to persuade MS Support to allow another activation, with no guarantee they will, which means he may well have to pay again...

All the best Brett :) 

That all depends on what licence he has already - I know that an OEM install will let you install either version on the same machine as many times as you like, because of the way it's tied to the motherboard.
m
l
May 4, 2013 8:17:56 AM

Hi
Thanks, I have a packaged Win8 pro with two disks 32bit and 64bit but only one licence number. I loaded the 32bit initially but would like to get the 64bit to use a specific programme. can I not load the 64bit over the 32 bit?
m
l
!