How will the visual image at home compare to what's in the..

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
November 25, 2004 9:07:15 AM

I've been drooling over the DLP TVs at Best Buy and Circuit City.
Spectacular images. I appreciate, however, that they tweak these to generate
the best image--DirecTV HD, DVD using higher-end inputs, etc. I don't have
that type of equipment and signal at home. How much degradation will I see
with (say) a Dish Network non-HD receiver and a standard DVD player? Some of
the online reviews indicate that non-HD / non-DVD content is nearly
unwatchable on a DLP TV--worse than I'm used to seeing on my older 27" CRT
TV. Is that really the case? I'm seriously considering the Samsung HL-P5063,
BTW.

One salesperson recommended getting a HD satellite receiver. I don't have a
problem with that; however, very few channels are in HD at this
point--right? How would the non-HD channels look through an HD satellite
receiver?

For the DVD signal, Best Buy is using DVD players that are from the same
manufacturer as the TV; i.e., a Toshiba DVD player connected to a Toshiba
DLP; a Samsung DVD player connected to a Samsung DLP. How much degradation
will I see using a standard DVD player?
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 9:07:16 AM

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 06:07:15 GMT, "Chris" <chris@newsgroup.nospam>
wrote:

>I've been drooling over the DLP TVs at Best Buy and Circuit City.
>Spectacular images. I appreciate, however, that they tweak these to generate
>the best image--DirecTV HD, DVD using higher-end inputs, etc. I don't have
>that type of equipment and signal at home. How much degradation will I see
>with (say) a Dish Network non-HD receiver and a standard DVD player? Some of
>the online reviews indicate that non-HD / non-DVD content is nearly
>unwatchable on a DLP TV--worse than I'm used to seeing on my older 27" CRT
>TV....

I may have bought a HDTV a long time ago if the stores would show you
what the picture looks like with the locally available CableTV
service.

The fact that they don't just suggests to me that if you saw it, you
wouldn't buy it.

What other conclusion is there ?

If it helped sell the product, they'd be doing it.

I've done a lot of research and I think that unless you have a LOT of
disposable income you don't care about, it would be best to wait at
least a year or two, maybe more.

My dad used to say, never buy it when it first comes out cuz they have
to work all the bugs (and standards) out. He should know, he always
bought the first stuff ;)
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 3:00:25 PM

<little louie@spamless.com> wrote in message news:ipvaq0p0s5bf25uamql2oje54mo9r03h9l@4ax.com...

> I may have bought a HDTV a long time ago if the stores would show you
> what the picture looks like with the locally available CableTV
> service.
>
> The fact that they don't just suggests to me that if you saw it, you
> wouldn't buy it.

Not necessarily. I bought a new Sony 55 inch LCD rptv and the very
best HD channels I'm getting from Comcast are as good or better
than anything I've seen in a store. Some networks are better than
others and the Sony tuner does a better job on 1080i than the cablebox.

> What other conclusion is there ?

Maybe they're too lazy to hook up 20 TVs to the cable box or they
don't know how to do it properly.

Don
Related resources
November 26, 2004 3:08:44 AM

> Not necessarily. I bought a new Sony 55 inch LCD rptv and the very
> best HD channels I'm getting from Comcast are as good or better
> than anything I've seen in a store. Some networks are better than
> others and the Sony tuner does a better job on 1080i than the cablebox.

Thanks for that. How do the non-HD channels look on your Sony LCD? Does the
HD receiver somehow enhance the non-HD channels to look at least watchable?

Circuit City has a DirecTV HD feed. Since posting this message, I had a
salesguy there revert to a non-HD channel; it certainly wasn't as clear as
Discovery HD, but it was watchable. I wonder if my results would be similar;
I wouldn't be surprised to find that there's other things they are doing to
the signal. :^|
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:03:38 PM

"Chris" <chris@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message news:guupd.5152$356.3213@trndny04...
> > Not necessarily. I bought a new Sony 55 inch LCD rptv and the very
> > best HD channels I'm getting from Comcast are as good or better
> > than anything I've seen in a store. Some networks are better than
> > others and the Sony tuner does a better job on 1080i than the cablebox.
>
> Thanks for that. How do the non-HD channels look on your Sony LCD? Does the
> HD receiver somehow enhance the non-HD channels to look at least watchable?
>
> Circuit City has a DirecTV HD feed. Since posting this message, I had a
> salesguy there revert to a non-HD channel; it certainly wasn't as clear as
> Discovery HD, but it was watchable. I wonder if my results would be similar;
> I wouldn't be surprised to find that there's other things they are doing to
> the signal. :^|

The digital 480i 4:3 channels are all crisp and clear.

The analog NTSC signals are a mixed bag. On some channels I might get
ghosting or shadowy lines, and on other channels it's as pristine as
the analog resolution will allow. In other words, I don't see any
degradation of the analog signal that inherently comes from watching
it on a digital tv.

Don
November 26, 2004 8:52:17 PM

Thanks, again. Pardon my ignorance. I have Dish Network; would I receive all
digital, digital 480i, some analog NTSC, or something else altogether?

Chris
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 8:52:18 PM

"Chris" <chris@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message news:l3Kpd.14$gN3.8@trndny07...
> Thanks, again. Pardon my ignorance. I have Dish Network; would I receive all
> digital, digital 480i, some analog NTSC, or something else altogether?

I don't have the Dish Network, so I'll leave that question for others
to answer.

You might want to browse thru the faq at the hdtv info section
at the avs forum to get up to speed. That's what I did before
deciding what I wanted to buy.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

My Sony tv identifies and displays what the incoming format is.
I've seen Comcast channels with NTSC, 480i, 720p, 720p widescreen,
1080i, and 1080i widescreen.

Don
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 2:55:48 AM

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in message news:<M6Qpd.52475$jq5.16934@fe2.texas.rr.com>...

> I have a Sony KDF-60XS955. I'm amazed at the difference in SD quality from
> channel to channel, program to program. It would be interesting to know
> what makes that difference, but it ranges from garbagy pictures that you can
> hardly stand to watch to such good quality that you can mistake it for HD,
> or at least very good 480p, until you look at it closely. The worst are
> programs where you have a lot of long shots of small figures, such as
> football. Football games are stunning and wonderful in HD but hideous and
> irritating to watch in SD on an HD set.

The ones that look good may be the ones where SD content is shown in
an HD channel, where the upconversion is done at the transmitting end
so your receiver is taking in real HDTV... and for all we know the
source they're working from is 480p or better. Where I live the
majority of the digital content fits this description. So you don't
see how badly your TV actually handles SD content until you use an
analog source.
!