Sign in with
Your question

vista 64 going great- couple questions though

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 4, 2007 4:06:26 AM

Well I got the ultimate upgrade and went with 64 bit despite all the people saying not too. just popped in and had clean install done in 20 minutes and all hardware working great- had to get the audio and video card drivers though.

I was a little pissed to find out onecare isn't available for 64 bit though.

Some questions if anyone can help me.

1- I got two program files- "program files" and "program files x86" I assume 32 bit stuff is going in the x86 folder but a lot of them like IE and such are dupes- can I just delete most of the x86 stuff if is exactly the same as in the other folder??

2- Is there a free anti virus program for vista 64 someone can recommend.

3- Is there a site that lists 64 bit versions I can get of popular programs or really covers the 64 bit version?

I really really like Vista so far and is so much better than old tired XP. Thanks for any help.
February 15, 2007 6:45:37 PM

Avast has a free virus scan that works with Vista 64.

If you don't plan to use the X86 programs... I'm sure it will be safe to delete the ones you don't want..

The best is to just Google Vista 64 + programs to find what is compatible. I've found a lot of stuff that works, but with limited options, or doesn't work at all... it's all just trial and error!
m
l
February 15, 2007 8:38:20 PM

Quote:
Well I got the ultimate upgrade and went with 64 bit despite all the people saying not too.

Me too :) 

Quote:
1- I got two program files- "program files" and "program files x86" I assume 32 bit stuff is going in the x86 folder but alot of them like IE and such are dupes- can I just delete most of the x86 stuff if is exactly the same as in the other folder??

Vista x64 contains both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of some utilities/apps. IE7 and Windows Media player come to mind. The shortcuts under Start menu are "wired" to one of version. See the following thread (message #2) that has an interesting post regarding Media Player 32-bit versus 64-bit... http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=66826

I'd keep the duplicate applications around. That way, if you ever have a problem with, say, the 64-bit version on something, you can always try the 32-bit version. Or visa-versa.

Quote:
2- Is there a free anti virus program for vista 64 someone can reccomend.

NOD32 supports Vista x64 but you need to pay for it. I *think* AVG, does, too but not sure. It definitely supports XP x64.

Quote:

3- Is there a site that lists 64 bit versions I can get of popular programs or really covers the 64 bit version?

Try ntcompatible.com, for starters.
m
l
February 17, 2007 4:36:32 AM

Aside from some problems caused by my wireless card, 64bit vista is going good for me too.

Can anyone tell me from experience what wireless cards work well with 64bit vista?
m
l
!