Can I Buy the 5th Generation ATSC Receiver for Christmas?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
November 25, 2004 5:17:48 PM

I've been hoping that I could buy the upcoming 5th generation ATSC receiver
from LG/Zenith by Christmas time. Has anyone heard of exactly when it will
be available? What will be the brand name on the unit? Where will I be
able to buy it?

Neil
Salem, MA USA
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 5:17:49 PM

Neil wrote:
> I've been hoping that I could buy the upcoming 5th generation ATSC receiver
> from LG/Zenith by Christmas time. Has anyone heard of exactly when it will
> be available? What will be the brand name on the unit? Where will I be
> able to buy it?

Unless you know that you have severe multipath problems (ghosting of
analog TV) there is no reason to wait. The fifth generation tuners
handle multipath better than older units, other than that, they are
likely to have very similar performance (ie excellent) to older units.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 7:21:54 PM

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:17:09 -0500, "Matthew L. Martin"
<nothere@notnow.never> wrote:

>Neil wrote:
>> I've been hoping that I could buy the upcoming 5th generation ATSC receiver
>> from LG/Zenith by Christmas time. Has anyone heard of exactly when it will
>> be available? What will be the brand name on the unit? Where will I be
>> able to buy it?
>>

>Unless you know that you have severe multipath problems (ghosting of
>analog TV) there is no reason to wait. The fifth generation tuners
>handle multipath better than older units, other than that, they are
>likely to have very similar performance (ie excellent) to older units.
>
>Matthew

Multipath exists. Consider yourself lucky.
November 25, 2004 11:11:40 PM

Jo_J@nospam.com wrote:

> Multipath exists. Consider yourself lucky.

I didn;t say that multipath doesn't exist. It is a problem for ATSC
receivers when it is severe. Many people have reported here that they
have ghosty NTSC reception and rock solid ATSC reception from the same
sites. Fifth generation receivers have improved multipath handling
capability. If the OP doesn't have severe multipath problems, then a
fifth generation receiver will not improve his reception.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 1:59:15 AM

(Jo_J@nospam.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> Multipath exists. Consider yourself lucky.

Indeed it does, yet it is almost *never* diagnosed correctly, since only
a good spectrum analyzer with a talented operator will expose it. I doubt
1 in 1000 installs that have problems with reception get this sort of
treatment.

Instead, any time a signal doesn't remain at a constant level (based only
on the crude meters built into most STBs), multipath is blamed. In
reality, any signal close to the threshold of the required 19dB carrier-
to-noise ratio will exhibit exactly this behavior on those meters.

--
Jeff Rife | "One minute we were spanking each other with
SPAM bait: | meat, and the next minute it got weird."

Geez, Poor Neil asked a simple question. Does anyone know when the 5th gens
are coming out? I don't have an HD OTH reciever yet either. I am thnking of
waiting,because why not have the best receiver technology available. I
don't care if I need it or not. It would be there if I did.
Norm

"Neil" <ThisIsNotARealAddress@xyzabc1234.com> wrote in message
> I've been hoping that I could buy the upcoming 5th generation ATSC
> receiver from LG/Zenith by Christmas time. Has anyone heard of exactly
> when it will be available? What will be the brand name on the unit?
> Where will I be able to buy it?
>
> Neil
> Salem, MA USA

December 3, 2004 4:52:13 AM

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:40:51 GMT, "Norm" <rodeofan1@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>Geez, Poor Neil asked a simple question. Does anyone know when the 5th gens
>are coming out? I don't have an HD OTH reciever yet either. I am thnking of
>waiting,because why not have the best receiver technology available. I
>don't care if I need it or not. It would be there if I did.
>Norm

count me in the same boat.

does anyone know?

>"Neil" <ThisIsNotARealAddress@xyzabc1234.com> wrote in message
>> I've been hoping that I could buy the upcoming 5th generation ATSC
>> receiver from LG/Zenith by Christmas time. Has anyone heard of exactly
>> when it will be available? What will be the brand name on the unit?
>> Where will I be able to buy it?
>>
>> Neil
>> Salem, MA USA

Anonymous
December 3, 2004 10:29:28 PM

"Norm" <rodeofan1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
: Geez, Poor Neil asked a simple question. Does anyone know when the
5th gens
: are coming out? I don't have an HD OTH reciever yet either. I am
thnking of
: waiting,because why not have the best receiver technology
available. I
: don't care if I need it or not. It would be there if I did.
: Norm
:
Or even, how would you identify a 5th gen by just looking? Will it
have a label with "5th gen" like Intel's "Intel inside"?
December 6, 2004 2:43:30 AM

That would be nice. who knows. I suppose I would ask and hope the salesman
knows or isn't blowing smoke.
Norm

!