965p-ds3 broken dimm slots?

vsamaco

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I ordered 2x1gb g.skill ddr2 800 ram to upgrade my pc to 4gb. For some reason, it won't post with 4 sticks.

gigabyte 965p ds3 (f10, rev 1.0)
conroe e6600 (stock)
2x1gb corsair xms2 ddr2 800
ati x1900xt 512mb
raid 0 74gb raptor drives
antec 550w psu

When I loaded all 4 dimms, there is a continuous short beeps. Does the same thing when I attempted to apply +.3 voltage to dimms.

I tested the g.skill sticks by themselves, they would only post in slots 2 and 4 (from left to right).

So I tried my corsair sticks in slots 1 and 3, and there is a continuous long beep. This is the wierd scenario, being that I had no issues with the computer for 8 months.

Either I didn't realize I had broken dimm slots, or is there something I missing to try to run memory in slots 1 and 3. Any help would be appreciated.

I ordered 2x1gb g.skill ddr2 800 ram to upgrade my pc to 4gb. For some reason, it won't post with 4 sticks.

gigabyte 965p ds3 (f10, rev 1.0)
conroe e6600 (stock)
2x1gb corsair xms2 ddr2 800
ati x1900xt 512mb
raid 0 74gb raptor drives
antec 550w psu

When I loaded all 4 dimms, there is a continuous short beeps. Does the same thing when I attempted to apply +.3 voltage to dimms.

I tested the g.skill sticks by themselves, they would only post in slots 2 and 4 (from left to right).

So I tried my corsair sticks in slots 1 and 3, and there is a continuous long beep. This is the wierd scenario, being that I had no issues with the computer for 8 months.

Either I didn't realize I had broken dimm slots, or is there something I missing to try to run memory in slots 1 and 3. Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like you have a a bad DIMM of RAM. I would try each DIMM alone in slot 1 and run some applications and see if the system ran stable with each individual DIMM of RAM. You mentioned you were not overclocking, that would have been my second cause of your problem. Did the problem start right after a BIOS update? RMA the MB is another solution.

vsamaco

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Well it turns out that the dimm slots all work. I made sure to seat the memory in place, and now running all the sticks. Though I am noticing that Vista only see 3.25gb ram, while bios and winxp show 4gb. What with vista?

Well it turns out that the dimm slots all work. I made sure to seat the memory in place, and now running all the sticks. Though I am noticing that Vista only see 3.25gb ram, while bios and winxp show 4gb. What with vista?

You would need Vista 64 to utilize and properly configure 4 GB of RAM. Depending on your systems components, etc. the amount of RAM Vista will show varys between 3.1 to 3.5 GB or so. So your systems falls under the normal for Vista 32.