Sign in with
Your question

Strange cpu temps - both in easytunes and bios

Last response: in Motherboards
April 25, 2007 1:49:53 AM

I have my 4 day old non-oc'd computer in a cool room about (60F, 15C), but my cpu temp is showing about 10C, and my system is about 31C, in bios and easytunes 5.

I disabled my smart fan control, since it didn't run the cpu fan consistently, so now my cpu fan is running constant speed (2000rpm).

The temp readings do rise, when I run an application, or shut the fan off.

I have a rev3.3 ds3 p965 board, and F10 bios, from newegg.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Could this just be measurement error?

mitt
April 25, 2007 2:30:05 AM

hey dude i just found out im having the same problem with easy tune center... im using the gigabyte p965-DQ6 rev2. ETC shows over 10c less then other prgrams like TAT, core temp 0.94 and speedfan.

e6600 oc'ed to 3.15ghz running TAT @ 100%.
April 25, 2007 1:36:06 PM

The cpu temp methods in the 965P must be flakey, since there is a lot of info on the web about wrong readings, but no real solutions.

I think I will go with the old feel approach, there is no warm air leaving the case (yet).

mitt

Here you can see a 7C reading!

Related resources
April 27, 2007 3:55:58 AM

I run a Conroe E6600 in the 965P-DS3

when idle the CPU temp shows below ambient, which is obviously impossible.

However the Core temps (it shows a Core 1 and a Core 2) look about right.

Both rise appropriately under load, so I think the reported CPU temp on my has at least approximately a fixed offset error (at least 10C, maybe a bit more).

Using the "Intel mode" fan control gives what seem to me reasonable results, so I don't worry about it.
April 27, 2007 2:39:25 PM

I have been email gigabyte support, and so far, other than trying another cpu, they don't have a reasonable explanation.

I have put my hand on my cpu heatsink, and it is amazingly cool, so I am not worried.

I am not going to worry about it. I wish I could use the gigabyte smart fan controls, but I don't like having the cpu fan not running, or running for just 1 revolution, then stopping, because the mobo is giving it such a low control voltage.

I am running the fans at 100%, and living with the noise. My case is not very loud anway.

mitt
May 2, 2007 10:56:48 PM

I'd say the OP has a bad sensor given that 7C reading, at least if a BIOS update doesn't fix it. Get TAT or CoreTemp and see if they report such anomalous readings.

As for you other guys: TAT and CoreTemp normally read 15C higher than BIOS and motherboard applications that read them from BIOS. They read the actual on-die temperature at the junction layer, whereas the BIOS is reporting an estimate of the temperature of the IHS, or "metal cap" over the CPU die, which is naturally cooler than the temps down inside the die at the junction layer. For a really good explanation of all this temperature confusion with Core2 processors, see this thread http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core-Duo-Temper...
May 2, 2007 11:24:14 PM

Quote:
I'd say the OP has a bad sensor given that 7C reading, at least if a BIOS update doesn't fix it.

As for you other guys: TAT and CoreTemp normally read 15C higher than BIOS and motherboard applications that read them from BIOS.

If the offset is just due to location, then it will differ linearly between the case of 0% CPU usage (maybe half a dozen watts of leakage current), and 100% CPU usage (about 60 extra watts of dynamic power at the system level for my system at current operating point--perhaps at least 50 extra watts in the CPU proper given my relatively efficient power supply and not too much going elsewhere).

On both the original poster's and my system, the below-ambient reading at 0% CPU makes it clear that the reporting chain on this sensor just has an offset.

Looking at the BIOS level does not resolve this point, as the power consumption is far above idle there.

If the OP has a bad sensor, then so do I, but I'm not convinced this is outside the range of normal parts. Not that I like it.

[edited to correct two spelling errors]
May 3, 2007 1:43:14 PM

I have been in contact with gigabyte support (what a poor system), and they want me to update to bios f11 beta. I will wait, it doesn't affect the function of my system, and I don't want to play with bios.

Plus, I didn't see any temp reporting changes reported from f10 to 11, only suppurt for a couple new cpus.

mitt
May 3, 2007 2:03:01 PM

Thanks for the post. I have been having the same problem. I am getting bogus readings in EasyTune, bios and speedfan. I had to download Coretemp 0.95 to get plausible readings. However when I am playing Battlefield 2 with about 55-60% CPU usage, I am getting temps of only 90 degrees farenheit. Is this normal? I am used to my Athlon XP 2800 where temps were about 113 idle and 131 under load.
May 3, 2007 2:07:58 PM

Quote:

I am running the fans at 100%, and living with the noise. My case is not very loud anway.

mitt

Use Speedfan. It is an excellent program for controlling fan speeds and is very customizable. You can set it up to automatically adjust the fan speed with the temperature. Unlike some of the bios fan control features, this works.
!