Sign in with
Your question

Computer On 24/7?

Last response: in Systems
April 25, 2007 2:48:33 AM

Just wanted to see how many of you guys leave your systems on all day everyday.

More about : computer

April 25, 2007 2:52:45 AM

I have 3 systems running 24/7, and have the power bill to to prove it (jk)
April 25, 2007 2:56:44 AM

I keep 4 pc's running 24/7
Related resources
April 25, 2007 3:20:04 AM

One server on 24/7 and usually my regular PC is on for days at a time.
April 25, 2007 3:24:20 AM

i try not to leave it on all the time. but i dont turn it off either. the problem is that the most stressful thing you could do to ur computer is repeatedly turning it on and off because of the power spike. but if you leave it on the entire time you risk having ur hdd burn out quicker. i find that putting it on standby is a good solution as it stops the computer from accessing the hdd every 2 seconds but doesnt have as big a power surge. it also helps keep the electrical bill reasonable.
April 25, 2007 3:38:55 AM

My employee's individual computers are shut off when the empoyee goes home at the end of the day. Saves energy and reduces the AC load in the building. I also encourage shut offs if the employee is leaving for their 3 martini lunch or a long meeting.

My personal business computer, which also serves as my personal computer stays on 24/7 with a restart 1 time per week. (that way I download p_rn as desired..... hey it is a key benefit of being a boss)

Dad's computer stays on 24/7 and who knows the last time his 'puter was restarted.

Seriously he and I will bebop through the office all ours of the day or night and need quick access to our files.

There are also a couple of shared computers that are left running 24/7.

By the way with the release of WinXp (and the reduced hard starts/restarts common to Win95 and Win98), the durability of the computers in my relatively small sample of computers does not seem to be impacted by leaving the computer constant on or having a daily shut off.

Regardless of the hours on or off the one thing that does impact computer durability is reduced air flow. I STRONGLY recommend is a thorough cleaning of the computer on a regular basis, especially if the sucker is on the floor. Sucker is appropriate because the fans are going to suck up all kinds of debris and trap most of the debris in the fan filter. My computer is mounted on the top of my desk and my office is kept reasonably clean and yet the fan filter will be clogged with debris in well under a year. Computers on the floor (especially in high traffic areas or areas without carpeting) will be need more frequent cleaning. Failing to clean the computer when the filter is clogged is just asking for component failure.

(yea, yea I have seen the pictures of DIRTY computers that are still functioning. What is never stated with those pictures is the low ambient temperatures in the computers locations helps draw off the damaging heat. Try running those dirty computers in a warm office, hidden under a desk between a filing cabinet and a space heater ..... I am willing to bet the computer lasts all of a day)

Nothing fancy for cleaning. Shut the computer off. Use compressed air and blow off the exterior of the computer. Open the computer and use compressed air on any trapped dust bunnies and then throughly clean or replace the filters.
April 25, 2007 4:07:24 AM

I have 2 PC's that run 24/7 in my house. My wife's is an old PII 450, I think, and it has always ran all the time. I can't remember the last time it was cleaned, it just won't die.

My PC has homemade fan filters on it and they get pretty clogged in less than 6mo in my low traffic 'puter room. It has over a dozen fans pushing air though, so there is no shortage of flow to gather dust. The inside though is almost as clean as the day I built it. I have my power options set to always on but the monitor and HDD are set to power off after an hour to save a little power and wear on my drives.

My work computer runs all the time as well as the boss's, and they're not servers or anything special. All mine's really used for is the internet and listening to music while I work.
April 25, 2007 4:39:27 AM

I have 1 computer that I run 24/7. There are pets in the house so it gets dirty every once and a while from the dander. I try to clean it once every 6 months.

Once I wrecked a HDD by power cycling it too fast, this was before Windows 3.1. I was under the impression that HDD's won't break from the quick powercycles anymore. The only components in recent memory that I have seen fail because of power spikes(from an electric company) is a powersupply, and a stick of RAM.

In my opinion just set your computer to turn off the monitor and HDD after a long period of inactivity. I know Windows XP will support it, and would imagine many *nix distro's have some sort of power management capabilities as well.
April 25, 2007 5:27:16 AM

Quote:

Mine run all the time unless I am going out of town.
Turning them on/off a few times a day lets the CPU heat/cool often and mico cracks form and that is not a good thing!

I turn the CRT monitors off at night to save on the power bill.
April 25, 2007 5:48:21 AM

I don't want to discuss about the bill of running the computer 24/7. So it is actually safer for the hardware if we leave the computer on always rather than to on and off when needed?

What about the LCD? Which will cause it to spoil faster?

Anyway how about 'sleep mode'? Does it off the computer or what? How come we can resume windows quickly but the fans on CPU, GC and casing is off? Does heat get produced during sleep mode?

Thanks.
April 25, 2007 5:50:58 AM

Well I used to leave my laptop on all the time and after 4 yrs of hardcore usage the lcd died on me. it helped me get this build but ever since then ive been wary of keeping the monitor on when im not using it.
April 25, 2007 6:09:16 AM

Quote:
I don't want to discuss about the bill of running the computer 24/7. So it is actually safer for the hardware if we leave the computer on always rather than to on and off when needed?

What about the LCD? Which will cause it to spoil faster?

Anyway how about 'sleep mode'? Does it off the computer or what? How come we can resume windows quickly but the fans on CPU, GC and casing is off? Does heat get produced during sleep mode?

Thanks.

My home runs on wind power. Yes, it costs me a tiny bit more money, but I know it's clean, and it still doesn't cost much.

There's much debate about leaving it running all the time or not, but I don't think it's bad to let it run. If you're gonna turn it off every day, I think the general rule is to turn it on when you first use it in the day and let it run until you go to bed or are finished for the day, to avoid too many power up/down cycles.

I've seen people leave their LCD's on. I had an old laptop at work I was trying to kill (it was a Toshiba 600Mhz, I was hoping for an upgrade) and I would let it run all the time and it did fine. I don't know if it's good on them, I can't imagine it is. I would set yours to turn off after a while in the power options if it were me. I have a big power hungry CRT, so it's set to go off after an hour. Your LCD shouldn't have any problems with image burn-in so I wouldn't worry about that.

I don't know about sleep mode, never seen a need to mess with it.
April 25, 2007 6:17:21 AM

are all of you seriously? i shut down my pc if i not going to use for more than 2hrs or more. i have this pc for like 5 yrs now and no problem at all. i dont know, maybe this is old pc, p4 1.7 oc to 2.1, 768mb of rams.
i going to build a new pc soon with up to date stuffs. is it that bad to turn off and on?
April 25, 2007 6:31:48 AM

Quote:
There was a thread about this recently. On 24/7.
@StevieD What's a fan filter? :? Or should I say, Fan filters? Fan filters? We don't need no stinkin fan filters! :twisted: I prefer to let my computer eat all the dust it wants, I don't want it to go hungry. :lol: 
April 25, 2007 6:44:20 AM

i say if you aint using it just shut it off.....
April 25, 2007 11:59:32 AM

24/7
My AMD Rig
My iBook G4
My Signature Rig
My Gateway POS

Not 24/7
My Dad's Laptop
My Mom's Laptop POS
My Dad's Gateway POS
April 25, 2007 2:59:04 PM

If I'm not using my PC for a few hours I turn it off. I've had more than a few 5+ restarts during a 24hr period but my PC's still going 5 years later. Hell, my mum still uses the 486 for solitaire.

I think that if you have a good power flow with surge arrestors and all that then you should be fine with on/off.
April 25, 2007 3:26:21 PM

i have 7 comps, 4 of which are on 24/7/365 , the only reason the others are turned off is for power usage concerns. they are used infrequently enough (like for weekends) that i try to turn them off when i can remember to save a bit on the electricity bill.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 25, 2007 3:29:34 PM

there are a lot of mixed opinions on this, to be honest i dont think it really matters. It is true the most vulnerable time to damage parts is when turning it on and off but even that is kinda like whatever. I leave mine on all day just because i like being able to access it from work and download new stuff on my newsgroups. 10$ a month doesnt bother me.
April 25, 2007 3:40:22 PM

I have a file server that runs 24/7. It's just a good old Pentium III full tower that streams content to my Xbox 360 and Desktop whenever I may need it. :D  It's also my FTP server for when I'm not home.

Other than that, everything else gets turned off.
April 25, 2007 4:19:19 PM

My computer I leave on the whole time I am home. I work overseas so when I leave, I turn off my computer. My wifes computer gets turned off at night because it's in our bedroom. It's not that it's loud, but it's in a Antec Sonata II, and the blue LED's in the front are annoyingly bright. My boys computer is in their room and they only have it on when they are using it. It's too loud to have on a night. My daughters computer is also only turned on when she uses it, it is extremely loud, I should do something about it, but it's pretty old.
April 25, 2007 4:45:56 PM

Quote:
are all of you seriously? i shut down my pc if i not going to use for more than 2hrs or more. i have this pc for like 5 yrs now and no problem at all. i dont know, maybe this is old pc, p4 1.7 oc to 2.1, 768mb of rams.
i going to build a new pc soon with up to date stuffs. is it that bad to turn off and on?

I've been running my old Gateway PII for about 10 years or close to it with no problems. The only thing that's been replaced was the HDD about 7 years ago as an upgrade. Works great still, just slow.

Quote:
pchoi04 wrote:
There was a thread about this recently. On 24/7.
@StevieD What's a fan filter? Confused Or should I say, Fan filters? Fan filters? We don't need no stinkin fan filters! Twisted Evil I prefer to let my computer eat all the dust it wants, I don't want it to go hungry. Laughing

Fan Filter. I didn't use these but they look cool. I just went to walmart and bought some filters for home air conditioner vents (not the huge ones for the return air, these are small and fit in the exit vents), cut some to size, and sandwiched between the intake fans and their mounting surface. Not as cool as some purpose built ones but they work great and my PC is still squeaky clean inside after >2years of running.
April 25, 2007 5:23:38 PM

To compile everyone's answers:

Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada. Do what you think is right. There is no right answer.
April 25, 2007 6:45:56 PM

Quote:
Fan Filter. I didn't use these but they look cool. I just went to walmart and bought some filters for home air conditioner vents (not the huge ones for the return air, these are small and fit in the exit vents), cut some to size, and sandwiched between the intake fans and their mounting surface. Not as cool as some purpose built ones but they work great and my PC is still squeaky clean inside after >2years of running.
I was joking :roll:
April 25, 2007 6:51:27 PM

I leave me desktop running 24/7 for the most part. It makes a good nightlight too.
April 25, 2007 7:07:05 PM

Damn torrents lol

yes my oc'd system stays on 24/7 ... i restart it, the modem and router every now and then... maybe once a week
April 25, 2007 7:20:48 PM

I think theres just more scare into the whole cracking it from cold n hot then what there really is. Sure it applys to computer parts, but your talking about turning on and off about 20 times a day for 2years straight or something. Turning it on and off 3 times a day or so isn't gonna kill your computer. Leaving it on 24/7 isn't too good either for your eletric bill, but if your computer is well ventilated you'll be fine.
April 25, 2007 7:22:48 PM

On 24/7 almost all the time, and some time in sleepy mode.
April 25, 2007 7:28:04 PM

2 PC's on 24 hour Seti@home duty. Other than to overclock or cleaning/restarting, they NEVER go off.

Perhaps I shall find the aliens someday! :D 
April 25, 2007 7:34:59 PM

or a big electric bill.
April 25, 2007 7:48:12 PM

I turn mine off at night when I go to bed since it's in my room and the noise will keep me awake longer. (It's not that it's super noisy, but it's far from 99% silent. The fact that something even makes the tiniest sound can keep me up). I turn it back on in the morning when I wake up. The money saved from the electric bill can be put towards upgrading it after a few years, so even if turning it on/off several times a day is bad, as long as it'll last say 2 years, I don't care and would rather save money.
April 25, 2007 7:48:23 PM

Quote:
or a big electric bill.

:lol:  Yeah, if I wasn't at MSU right now, I probably would start turning them off...
April 25, 2007 8:06:45 PM

I think that the life span of a computer that is never turned off is about 10\13 years. The life span of every computer even if praticly never turned on is about 30\55 years, because of the electrolit inside of the electrolytic capacitors, that dries when that time is past. Another component that stops functioning properly is the "oscillator" that every computer part has, hdd, graphic card, board, cpu etc, but this one last for about 300 years!
Chips (even if they're never turned on, and if they dont have oscilators inside them, which is rare) can last for about 800 years, but im not sure about this last one.
!