Sign in with
Your question

K10 Benchmark NDA Info

Last response: in CPUs
April 25, 2007 2:49:21 AM

Does anyone know the specifics of the NDA? When can they release them? Does AMD have something coming up, that would be a logical time for the info to be released?

I don't understand why they would invite tons of media to something that they can't write about. Why would they unless this was a 1 or 2 day NDA so that AMD could get quotes from the media in advance for an Ad campaign or allow a unified release of press for some event. This whole thing seems as retarded as the special olympics.

If they keep it up people will be rooting for AMD to go down in flames.

More about : k10 benchmark nda info

April 25, 2007 3:51:10 AM

I was just reading this article:

Quote:
AMD keeps blaming a “channel issue” for the first quarter fumble. The story line behind this excuse centers on AMD's transition from serving mostly channel customers to serving mostly OEMs. The strength of AMD's 64-bit product line opened a flood of new business with companies such as IBM, HP, Sun Microsystems and Dell. These demanding types caused AMD to lose focus on its old channel friends. As a result, channel sales dropped and dropped hard during the first quarter.

This scenario might make sense to some of you, but it confuses us. AMD claims to have no supply issues as far as pumping out chips goes. It just didn't get the chips to the right places in time. As far as we can tell, that sounds like a FedEx problem, but Ruiz failed to finger FedEx during his post earnings call with financial analysts.

Indeed, it sounds like B.S. to me too. Though availability for the X2 6000+ seriously blew, many of AMD's other processors were and have been readily available through all the major online retailers. I doubt any of the other retailers (local computer stores) had problems either. At any rate none of AMD's OEM customers are even using the 6000+. I mean let's get real, aside from the 6000+ and low voltage 3600+, has anyone seen a "shortage" of AMD chips?

Eventually Wall Street is going to be asking for Ruiz's resignation 'cause the excuses are running out real quick. The real issue is the price war and lost market share. Not "channel supply issues." I ain't buyin' it Hector.
Related resources
April 25, 2007 4:02:47 AM

Quote:

AMD keeps blaming a “channel issue” for the first quarter fumble. The story line behind this excuse centers on AMD's transition from serving mostly channel customers to serving mostly OEMs. The strength of AMD's 64-bit product line opened a flood of new business with companies such as IBM, HP, Sun Microsystems and Dell. These demanding types caused AMD to lose focus on its old channel friends. As a result, channel sales dropped and dropped hard during the first quarter.

This scenario might make sense to some of you, but it confuses us. AMD claims to have no supply issues as far as pumping out chips goes. It just didn't get the chips to the right places in time. As far as we can tell, that sounds like a FedEx problem, but Ruiz failed to finger FedEx during his post earnings call with financial analysts.

Indeed, it sounds like B.S. to me too. Though availability for the X2 6000+ seriously blew, many of AMD's other processors were and have been readily available through all the major online retailers. I doubt any of the other retailers (local computer stores) had problems either. At any rate none of AMD's OEM customers are even using the 6000+. I mean let's get real, aside from the 6000+ and low voltage 3600+, has anyone seen a "shortage" of AMD chips?

Eventually Wall Street is going to be asking for Ruiz's resignation 'cause the excuses are running out real quick. The real issue is the price war and lost market share. Not "channel supply issues." I ain't buyin' it Hector.

The 3600+, 5600+ and 6000+ are the most popular AMD chips. Oddly, the 3600+ is the only processor that shouldn't be supply constrained, since AMD can mark down any of their other Brisbane processors to 1.9Ghz and call it a 3600+ and sell it.
April 25, 2007 4:13:16 AM

Quote:

Radeon late edition saga continues

R600XTX, the 1024 MB GDDR 4 card, has been pushed to the next quarter. This is just one in a series of ATI's failures, but of course DAAMIT will call this a strategic decision. R600XTX won't see the face of retail / etail stores till Q3 2007.

We know that something went wrong with the samples and that the there were some severe performance problems with the latest batch of GDDR 4 cards. Basically 512 MB DDR3 version with 1600 MHz memory was beating the GDDR4 version with 1024 MB of GDDR 4 memory clocked at 2200 MHz.

That cannot be good as the GDDR4 card is much more expensive to build or sell. The worst part is that there is no any big performance difference between 512 GDDR 3 card and 1024 MB GDDR. The trouble is that 1 GB of GDDR 4 at 2200 MHz costs you a lot of money, so ATI at least wants to save some money. It will launch this card after Geforce 8800 Ultra but remember, don’t expect too much.

Would it be fair to estimate the following then? The 2900 XT will beat the 8800 GTS (as the benchmarks show), but will be about even with the GTX. Nvidia will launch the 8800 Ultra for the high end and it will remain unchallenged until the XTX version hits in Q3. Therefore, it seems reasonable to assume that Nvidia will drop prices on the GTX to whatever price point Ati sets for the 2900 XT.
April 25, 2007 4:20:23 AM

Quote:

The 3600+, 5600+ and 6000+ are the most popular AMD chips. Oddly, the 3600+ is the only processor that shouldn't be supply constrained, since AMD can mark down any of their other Brisbane processors to 1.9Ghz and call it a 3600+ and sell it.

Yes, but remember, only so many chips will bin out as 6000s or 5600+. Those high end slots are the toughest slots to fill.

I have to agree with Jesse. At the begining of Q1, the excuse was, "we've been diverting resourses to mobile", before that, there was no offical excuse, though our Baron claimed the lack of high end binned units was due to Dell hording them all for the "back to school sales" :roll:, then it was..........crap, I cant even remember the next excuse anymore as theyve made so many. But then, lo and behold, there was a surplus of chips available.

AMD keeps making excuses, pointing the finger everywhere else but themselves, and on the rare occasion they do say, "we didnt do this right", they still lay off the root cause at someone elses (usually Intel) feet.
April 25, 2007 4:38:15 AM

Geez, wouldn't you know it... just at the time when things get really fun in the AMD camp, I have this huge deadline looming and don't have even have time for foreplay, let alone posting... :cry: 

OK, just popped in, quickly skimmed through a few threads, and just have this to say:

WHERE.IS.K10???

All the debate and discussion just boils down to this: A reliable, authoritative third party (no one with FUD in their name, hehehe) has to run it through ALL of its paces and post a full report. Not only has that not happened but it does not seem as if it will happen for three weeks or more.

There has been absolutely no concrete independent confirmation of the existence of K10. Period. Blind, rabid AMD fanbois can go for a long walk off a short pier.

The sheer magnitude of ineptness shown by Hector & Co. in the past few days is monumental. They go hat in hand to The Street begging for $2.2B in what could be the most outlandish and unlikely financing pitch since the dotcom excesses THE SAME DAY that they're playing Three Card Monte with the only products they have in their roadmap that theoretically give them the slightest chance of being remotely competitive.

Dr. Ruiz. It's time for you and your entire team to hand in your resignation, and refund the shareholders your golden parachutes.

Sorry I couldn't provide more foreplay... I'm on the run... gotta go! (no, not come, go!) :twisted:
April 25, 2007 5:06:14 AM

i can't believe how long i held out on upgrading...at least i get to put my C2D system together tomorrow...what made me betray the blessed green party and turn to the evil blue guys was the statement released by AMD talking about all of the cool stuff AM2+ is going to do....like 64bit memory options and whatnot...

if there were am2+ boards on the market i'd get one and a 3600x2....but sigh i'm let down again...

so much speculation...i swear after my rig is running i'm not going to look at these forums except for once or twice a week...
April 25, 2007 5:10:48 AM

What I noticed was that alot of their cpu's werent readily availible in the states. Though across the ponds, they were plentiful, which only supports some of thier rantings about channel ands supply issues. Also, the xtx has been not only benched but oced as well http://dailytech.com/Overclocking+the+R600/article7044....
April 25, 2007 5:15:54 AM

Read in the link, its says
Quote:
I'm currently benchmarking the Radeon HD 2900 XTX, though I'll revist the XT if anyone has any particular requests.
[/u]
April 25, 2007 5:23:26 AM

I remember people from the east having the 3600 when no one else could get their hands on them. Im not taking a stance here for all their screwups, but there is SOME truth to what was being said
April 25, 2007 5:25:44 AM

These are being done in Tunisia, I think the day just may be starting there. Maybe soon?
April 25, 2007 5:33:15 AM

Youre right, lol, still tuesday here in Cali... you have a graphic for brain fart?
!