PLZ HELP! need new gpu and don't know a s***

So I just bought a new dell c521 amd computer (i know, bad idea!) to realise it has a low profile pci-e 16x slot (25w vs 75w standard). I want at least a 7600gt or 8500gt and i don't care if i have to buy a new psu and leave the pc's cover always open, i just want a freakin' gpu!!!

I saw some x1650 pro low profile at newegg but it's just imposible for me to buy it as i don't live in the us. (I can buy any graphics card, except low profile).

Please, can anyone tell me if there's anyway i can install a mid range or high end graphics card to this piece of...dell?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14 answers Last reply
More about help
  1. Do we know anything about the C512? Maybe the PSU is big enough for a 7600 GS..
  2. 18A to be generous.
    Still, a 7600 GS could fit.
  3. So its the case thats bothering us?
    Well, if a 7600 GS wont fit, i dont think anything else will.
  4. Oh my..
    I dont know any cards that fit that.

So the OP bought the PC and THEN came here? :roll:
  5. Thank you guys.

Actually the problem is not if i can fit it (i can leave the cover open facing the wall), neither the PSU, (i can buy a 430w, it's normal size).

The real problem is, the mobo specs say: 1 pci-e 16x 25w low profile (not 75w as normal slots).

I don't give a rat's ass if its nvidia or ati, i just want a 7600gt, 8500gt or higher
  6. I would say you need a new case and PSU. The problem I ran into before is that some manufactures have a non standard pin arrangement on their PSU Motherboard connectors so a standard PSU wont work. You may need to do some research on this. OR you maybe better off selling the PC off and building one.
  7. Quote:

(i can buy a 430w, it's normal size).

No you can't the psu is not standard

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimc521/en/SM_EN/techov.htm#wp1052632
  8. The Motherboards that dell uses usually only except proprietary power supplies.
  9. Quote:
    The Motherboards that dell uses usually only except proprietary power supplies.

The motherboards accept standard power supplies, his machine is a small form factor.
  10. get a card with no fan just a heat sink go with a 7300 nvidia they have low prof models in the 7300 series
  11. Ok, so lets say i buy a case and a psu. Will the pci-e 25w be able to support any graphics card?

The pc came with a x1300 pro low profile, and I'm having a good time playing AOE 3 and DOOM 3 as a slide show. (powerpoint runs far better my college presentations).
  12. Quote:
    Ok, so lets say i buy a case and a psu. Will the pci-e 25w be able to support any graphics card?

The pc came with a x1300 pro low profile, and I'm having a good time playing AOE 3 and DOOM 3 as a slide show. (powerpoint runs far better my college presentations).

The answer = you're screwed.

Im sorry, but the 7600 GT needs much more than 25W.

The only card that would fit there is a low end card, or a very high-end card like the X1950XTX wich gets it's power from another 6-pin power cable and thus dosent require much power from the motherboard.. although im not 100% sure that the latter will work.
  13. You're in a big hole dude. The only thing you can do is get a new PSU, case, and you will need a video card that has a 6 pin PCI-E power connecter so that the card can be supplied with enough power. Even after getting a video card that has the 6 pin PCI-E power connecter you may be risking not getting enough power to the card so good luck.

If you choose to risk it, I would recommend an X1900GT or 7900GS since both are not a huge price difference from a 7600GT and offer quite a bit better performance.
  14. get a type writer :lol:

8800 gtx baby ooh yeah :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Dell Graphics Product