PLZ HELP! need new gpu and don't know a s***

roco_nights

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
So I just bought a new dell c521 amd computer (i know, bad idea!) to realise it has a low profile pci-e 16x slot (25w vs 75w standard). I want at least a 7600gt or 8500gt and i don't care if i have to buy a new psu and leave the pc's cover always open, i just want a freakin' gpu!!!

I saw some x1650 pro low profile at newegg but it's just imposible for me to buy it as i don't live in the us. (I can buy any graphics card, except low profile).

Please, can anyone tell me if there's anyway i can install a mid range or high end graphics card to this piece of...dell?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roco_nights

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Thank you guys.

Actually the problem is not if i can fit it (i can leave the cover open facing the wall), neither the PSU, (i can buy a 430w, it's normal size).

The real problem is, the mobo specs say: 1 pci-e 16x 25w low profile (not 75w as normal slots).

I don't give a rat's ass if its nvidia or ati, i just want a 7600gt, 8500gt or higher

I would say you need a new case and PSU. The problem I ran into before is that some manufactures have a non standard pin arrangement on their PSU Motherboard connectors so a standard PSU wont work. You may need to do some research on this. OR you maybe better off selling the PC off and building one.

roco_nights

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Ok, so lets say i buy a case and a psu. Will the pci-e 25w be able to support any graphics card?

The pc came with a x1300 pro low profile, and I'm having a good time playing AOE 3 and DOOM 3 as a slide show. (powerpoint runs far better my college presentations).

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Ok, so lets say i buy a case and a psu. Will the pci-e 25w be able to support any graphics card?

The pc came with a x1300 pro low profile, and I'm having a good time playing AOE 3 and DOOM 3 as a slide show. (powerpoint runs far better my college presentations).

The answer = you're screwed.

Im sorry, but the 7600 GT needs much more than 25W.

The only card that would fit there is a low end card, or a very high-end card like the X1950XTX wich gets it's power from another 6-pin power cable and thus dosent require much power from the motherboard.. although im not 100% sure that the latter will work.

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
You're in a big hole dude. The only thing you can do is get a new PSU, case, and you will need a video card that has a 6 pin PCI-E power connecter so that the card can be supplied with enough power. Even after getting a video card that has the 6 pin PCI-E power connecter you may be risking not getting enough power to the card so good luck.

If you choose to risk it, I would recommend an X1900GT or 7900GS since both are not a huge price difference from a 7600GT and offer quite a bit better performance.