vista 64- can anyone answer this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmfantasy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I have 2 program files one is regular and one says x86- which I assume is the place for 32 bit programs- but I have IE listed in both and shortcuts to IE 32 and IE 64- can I just delete any duplicate programs that are in the x86 folder??

Also is it possible 64 bit or vista makes your net connection faster?? I have comcast in the Chicago area and use to pull 500-600 on most Downloads and top out at 1.2 MB - now since Install of vista I am minimum in the 1.5 area and some programs from large sites pulling 3 MB sec???

danny9894

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
I would remove any microsoft duplicate microsoft programs at risk but I really wouldn't do it. Also regarding your faster net connection, you are probably just experiencing Comcast Powerboost but just possibly the reworked TCP stack or w/e is helping you get a little more speed.

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I removed a lot of apps in the x86 folder, but the extensions are made for those versions... So even if you have a 64 bit OS, clicking an mp3 will open a 32 bit version of WMP. -.-

The best thing to do is replace all the programs in the x86 folder with the 64 bit versions. That way the extensions will launch ok and there will be no 32 bit progs launching.

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
is it possible 64 bit or vista makes your net connection faster?? I have comcast in the Chicago area and use to pull 500-600 on most Downloads and top out at 1.2 MB - now since Install of vista I am minimum in the 1.5 area and some programs from large sites pulling 3 MB sec???
I don't know in regards in 64-bit, but under 32-bit, several of the utilities out there that monitor network bandwidth (such as DU Meter) are reporting double speeds under Vista.

e.g., if under XP the utilities reported, say, a 4.4Mbit download, then under Vista they now report 8.8. Perhaps this is what you're seeing?

danny9894

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Even if they really reworked how deals with network activity I highly doubt that it'll double your speed. I believe the poster just received powerboost so he is seeing that boost in speed.

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
Yes, I wasn't implying that the utilities were reporting double speeds because it was true, I was implying the utilities are all wrongly reporting double speeds because of a change in the API they're using under Vista. i.e., take the reported speed, halve it, and that's your true speed.

fmfantasy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I am going by the actaul download speeds when I am downloading a program or something from the internet- say a 45 mb file in 15 seconds- I had powerbost with comcast before too and that is only suppose to kick in on long downloads. Well whatever it is it is alot faster than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.