iPAQ hx4700 ROM update

July 19, 2005 11:57:23 PM

I have a 7 month old iPAQ hx4700. Three weeks ago, I updated the ROM from
ver 1.00 to ver 1.10. Since the update my speaker works intermitantly.
Even the self test, and screen taps will not work when it plays up.
Sometimes a soft reset will bring back the sound (and sometimes not), and if
I leave it on the cradle, sometimes the sound also comes back. I did a back
up then a hard reset, to test the sound, but it still plays up with no other
programmes installed. This is only since the ROM update, and every program
that used sound worked perfectly. It is also rather unperedictable for the
fault to be created, but if I use WMP, and click on the "X" whilst audio is
playing, the sound will no longer work. It will then not work with any
program or screen taps, and will not work through the headphones. If I then
Soft Reset, the sound will return, which indicates a driver conflict.

It is interesting to note the point c. in their "Fixes" as pasted
below.

There even seems to be some confusion from HP, as to whether I can revert
back to the original ver 1.00 ROM, has anyone had any experience ?

From the HP website

Fixes

a.. Fixes issues with wireless connectivity.

b.. Fixes issue with execution of .NET framework.

c.. Fixes issue with very high-volume audio signal from third-party
applications that could result in potential speaker damage.

d.. Fixes issue where the microphone automatic gain control (AGC)
setting was not saved after a power cycle.

e.. Fixes issue where the user interface for the handheld would
indicate that the user was connected to a network that was not present.

f.. Fixes issue where protected extensible authentication protocol
(PEAP) authentication would fail with no indication that the user's password
had expired.

g.. Fixes issue where Pocket Internet Explorer would stall and fail
to load a page if the HTTP post was larger than 16K.

h.. Fixes issue where WiFi connection status was incorrectly
indicated for some conditions.
i.. Fixes issue with an active modem connection where the handheld
was unable to re-establish a connection after the USB cable was unplugged.

j.. Fixes issue that occurred when using WPA-PSK authentication
where the handheld failed to authenticate to a second access point (AP) with
the same SSID and key.

k.. Fixes issue where the client device packets did not properly
route to the target LAN when a point-to-point protocol (PPP) connection was
made.

l.. Fixes issue where an exception was generated When disconnecting
a serial line Internet protocol (SLIP) server session.

m.. Fixes issue where the wrong domain name server (DNS) address was
passed to the server when a secondary IP address was assigned.

n.. Fixes issue where the wrong WEP key was used when switching
between configured, preferred, WEP-enabled Wi-Fi connections.

o.. Fixes issue with cached pages where a back/forward navigation
would not be sent to the Internet.

p.. Fixes issue with URLs that contain semicolons so that they are
no longer truncated when sending the GET request over the Wireless Session
Protocol.

q.. Fixes the following localization issues:
a.. Korean: Fixes issue with contact picker where it did not match
Jungseong because asterisk (*) and pound sign (#) key presses were ignored.
b.. Korean: Fixes issue with contact names that were displayed
with no comma or space between the Last and First name.
c.. Korean: Fixes issue with the Notification dialog so it is no
longer clipped in the Sounds and Notifications Control panel.

d.. Romanian: Corrects Daylight Savings Time.

Enhancements

a.. Provides an improved Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer.

b.. Provides an improved Microsoft Windows Media Player.

c.. Enables more than one Settings application to be active at the
same time.

d.. Adds new data connectivity icon to the Title bar.

e.. Improves ServerSync application stability.

f.. Enables dialing of a number that starts with a pound sign (#).

g.. Enhances localization, including:
a.. Traditional Chinese: Improves Wi-Fi settings "Zero Config"
dialog box.

b.. Japan: Improves Wi-Fi settings.

c.. Korean: Updates the Lunar calendar.

d.. Enables the pound sign (#) and asterisk (*) to be used in the
Contacts application search function.

More about : ipaq hx4700 rom update

August 8, 2005 7:26:35 PM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:57:23 GMT, "John" <spam@spamvirgin.net> wrote:

>There even seems to be some confusion from HP, as to whether I can revert
>back to the original ver 1.00 ROM, has anyone had any experience ?

You can - I did.

I had a similar experience. The 4700 was/is the most stable iPAQ I've
ever owned. It's given me close to zero problems. So, when the new ROM
came out I very reluctantly upgraded, because it would allow me to
have separate authentication in Outlook for both POP & SMTP mail
servers - Correcting a major shortcoming in PPC.

I ultimately had to back-rev the ROM to the original version because
of general instability and an inability to go to sleep in the cradle.
Every hour or so it would wake up and launch ActiveSync - very
annoying.

Here's a link to version 1.00 of the ROM. They don't make it easy to
find, but it's there.

<http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us...;

A_C
August 8, 2005 11:07:04 PM

This has now been back to HP twice, and it is still exactly the same.
Anyone else have a hx4700, and updated to ROM 1.1?

Earlier post

"John" <spam@spamvirgin.net> wrote in message
news:D WcDe.1315$Cu3.261@newsfe4-win.ntli.net...
> [...]
> c.. Korean: Fixes issue with the Notification dialog so it is no
> longer clipped in the Sounds and Notifications Control panel.
>
> d.. Romanian: Corrects Daylight Savings Time.
>

> Enhancements
>

> a.. Provides an improved Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer.
>
> b.. Provides an improved Microsoft Windows Media Player.
>
> c.. Enables more than one Settings application to be active at the
> same time.
>
> d.. Adds new data connectivity icon to the Title bar.
>
> e.. Improves ServerSync application stability.
>
> f.. Enables dialing of a number that starts with a pound sign (#).
>
> g.. Enhances localization, including:
> a.. Traditional Chinese: Improves Wi-Fi settings "Zero Config"
> dialog box.
>
> b.. Japan: Improves Wi-Fi settings.
>
> c.. Korean: Updates the Lunar calendar.
>
> d.. Enables the pound sign (#) and asterisk (*) to be used in the

August 9, 2005 2:19:15 AM

Agent_C <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote

>I had a similar experience. The 4700 was/is the most stable iPAQ I've
>ever owned. It's given me close to zero problems. So, when the new ROM
>came out I very reluctantly upgraded, because it would allow me to
>have separate authentication in Outlook for both POP & SMTP mail
>servers - Correcting a major shortcoming in PPC.

I've upgraded to v1.10 and it seems to work fine for me. The wireless
behaviour was never right to start with, but every wifi PDA has major
problems there. The new O/S has (as stated above) separate SMTP auth
config and that is a major plus for me.

>I ultimately had to back-rev the ROM to the original version because
>of general instability and an inability to go to sleep in the cradle.
>Every hour or so it would wake up and launch ActiveSync - very
>annoying.

Other PDAs wake up in the cradle. Toshiba E800, Ipaq 5450 all used to
wake up and start beeping in the middle of the night. Only Palm PDAs
are solid in this respect, IME.

I don't really want to say this in a Microsoft PDA newsgroup, but PDAs
are not PCs - despite running something vaguely resembling Windows.
One cannot treat them as PCs; be able to run a wide range of apps and
generally "behave".

The best policy is to treat a PDA as a solution to a specific job (for
me, running several GPS moving map apps, and a very few other things)
and if it does that, do a *quick* backup to a flash card (because you
WILL need that backup quite soon!!).

Most users, both private and corporate, don't do much variety with a
PDA. So the incentive to make the things reliable isn't there. PCs
have finally (after some 15 years, from the early GUIs) got there and
win2000/XP is very reasonable. But look at the massive PC installed
base and how many $billions Microsoft must have spent on QA and bug
fixing. Whether PDAs will ever get to this level of reliability I
don't know - their physical characteristics narrow down their apps
severely.

The 4700 is an excellent product, but whenever I install a new app on
it and it actually works, I count myself very lucky. (and do a quick
backup right there)

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter1234@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.