ABC HD Problems - Comcast HDTV & Samsung DLP

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
November 26, 2004 6:40:32 PM

I have a Samsung 61" DLP (HLP6163w) and have Comcast HD in the Chicago area.
All the HD channels come in just fine except for ABC. On ABC it always
looks stretched like it is a 4:3 display stretched to fit the wide screen.
Sometimes slightly less stretched than that but always stretched.

Is there some setting I might have wrong? Is this a problem others have
with ABC?

I have the cable box set to 720P to match the native resolution of my DLP
TV - 1280x720. But get the same problem when the cable box is set to 1080i.
This is also the second cable box I've had with no change, as I'd exchanged
the original one for the new Motorola 2 tuner DVR box. I can't seem to
change the TV width settings when tuned to ABC HD in order to re-size the
screen. All this seems strange as I don't have any problems with other
channels.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 27, 2004 3:12:39 PM

Don't have an answer to you question, do have a question based on your
question.
I have the 46" Samsung and wasn't sure what to set the cable box to 720 or
1280. Why'd you choose 720?
Scott
Portsmouth, NH
"Larry Simon" <lsimon@mail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Samsung 61" DLP (HLP6163w) and have Comcast HD in the Chicago
>area. All the HD channels come in just fine except for ABC. On ABC it
>always looks stretched like it is a 4:3 display stretched to fit the wide
>screen. Sometimes slightly less stretched than that but always stretched.
>
> Is there some setting I might have wrong? Is this a problem others have
> with ABC?
>
> I have the cable box set to 720P to match the native resolution of my DLP
> TV - 1280x720. But get the same problem when the cable box is set to
> 1080i. This is also the second cable box I've had with no change, as I'd
> exchanged the original one for the new Motorola 2 tuner DVR box. I can't
> seem to change the TV width settings when tuned to ABC HD in order to
> re-size the screen. All this seems strange as I don't have any problems
> with other channels.

November 27, 2004 4:48:18 PM

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:40:32 GMT, "Larry Simon" <lsimon@mail.com>
wrote:

>I have a Samsung 61" DLP (HLP6163w) and have Comcast HD in the Chicago area.
>All the HD channels come in just fine except for ABC. On ABC it always
>looks stretched like it is a 4:3 display stretched to fit the wide screen.
>Sometimes slightly less stretched than that but always stretched.
>
>Is there some setting I might have wrong? Is this a problem others have
>with ABC?

WLS (ABC) OTA (ABC in Chicago) does the same thing as via Comcast.
Apparently, they broadcast their standard definition (4:3 aspect
ratio) in 720p, and the cable/OTA box interprets this as HD 16:9
aspect ratio, and displays it this way. Or perhaps there is some
aspect ratio identifier as part of the HD signal, which WLS has
configured improperly. Be that as it may, this problem has continued
since August, when I first got HD. It is the only Chicago station
with this problem.

Incidentally, when they are actually broadcasting in HD (Monday night
football, for example) evewrything is fine.
a b Ô Samsung
November 28, 2004 3:11:18 AM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:48:18 GMT, BobT <fake@invalid.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:40:32 GMT, "Larry Simon" <lsimon@mail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a Samsung 61" DLP (HLP6163w) and have Comcast HD in the Chicago area.
>>All the HD channels come in just fine except for ABC. On ABC it always
>>looks stretched like it is a 4:3 display stretched to fit the wide screen.
>>Sometimes slightly less stretched than that but always stretched.
>>
>>Is there some setting I might have wrong? Is this a problem others have
>>with ABC?
>
> WLS (ABC) OTA (ABC in Chicago) does the same thing as via Comcast.
> Apparently, they broadcast their standard definition (4:3 aspect
> ratio) in 720p, and the cable/OTA box interprets this as HD 16:9
> aspect ratio, and displays it this way. Or perhaps there is some
> aspect ratio identifier as part of the HD signal, which WLS has
> configured improperly. Be that as it may, this problem has continued
> since August, when I first got HD. It is the only Chicago station
> with this problem.
>
> Incidentally, when they are actually broadcasting in HD (Monday night
> football, for example) evewrything is fine.

Actually when ABC (Chicago) broadcasts 4:3 content it is stretched, but
not quite 16:9 on my LCD display. There are narrower than normal
pillarboxes. If I set my display to 4:3 it looks correct aspect ratio for
a 4:3 display. It is just that set to widescreen, everything 4:3 on ABC
is horizontally fat (or is it horizontally challanged).
November 29, 2004 6:02:03 PM

Scott - I use 720P as opposed to 1080i as it is my understanding that
720P is 1280x720 which is the same resolution as the Samsung DLP
displays. I think that using a signal that matches the "native"
resolution of your display is supposed to get the best signal. I
think that a 1080 signal, would just have to be converted to the
1280x720. Also the 1080i signal is "interlaced" which means it draws
half (every other)of the lines on one sweep then goes back and draws
the other half of the lines. The "P" does all lines each sweep.

I'm not 100% sure on all this, but it is what I've gathered reading
the newsgroups and browsing the internet.

"Scott Sulley" <sulley@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<Xa_pd.160416$R05.10800@attbi_s53>...
> Don't have an answer to you question, do have a question based on your
> question.
> I have the 46" Samsung and wasn't sure what to set the cable box to 720 or
> 1280. Why'd you choose 720?
> Scott
> Portsmouth, NH
> "Larry Simon" <lsimon@mail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Samsung 61" DLP (HLP6163w) and have Comcast HD in the Chicago
> >area. All the HD channels come in just fine except for ABC. On ABC it
> >always looks stretched like it is a 4:3 display stretched to fit the wide
> >screen. Sometimes slightly less stretched than that but always stretched.
> >
> > Is there some setting I might have wrong? Is this a problem others have
> > with ABC?
> >
> > I have the cable box set to 720P to match the native resolution of my DLP
> > TV - 1280x720. But get the same problem when the cable box is set to
> > 1080i. This is also the second cable box I've had with no change, as I'd
> > exchanged the original one for the new Motorola 2 tuner DVR box. I can't
> > seem to change the TV width settings when tuned to ABC HD in order to
> > re-size the screen. All this seems strange as I don't have any problems
> > with other channels.

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 30, 2004 4:53:41 AM

This is incredible - I can't believe ABC / WLS is so messed up and isn't
correcting this. I now avoid them when I have another choice such as for
the news or other programming. Why turn off a decent slice of their viewing
audience.

Are you listening ABC? (probably not).

"David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:48:18 GMT, BobT <fake@invalid.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:40:32 GMT, "Larry Simon" <lsimon@mail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a Samsung 61" DLP (HLP6163w) and have Comcast HD in the Chicago
>>>area.
>>>All the HD channels come in just fine except for ABC. On ABC it always
>>>looks stretched like it is a 4:3 display stretched to fit the wide
>>>screen.
>>>Sometimes slightly less stretched than that but always stretched.
>>>
>>>Is there some setting I might have wrong? Is this a problem others have
>>>with ABC?
>>
>> WLS (ABC) OTA (ABC in Chicago) does the same thing as via Comcast.
>> Apparently, they broadcast their standard definition (4:3 aspect
>> ratio) in 720p, and the cable/OTA box interprets this as HD 16:9
>> aspect ratio, and displays it this way. Or perhaps there is some
>> aspect ratio identifier as part of the HD signal, which WLS has
>> configured improperly. Be that as it may, this problem has continued
>> since August, when I first got HD. It is the only Chicago station
>> with this problem.
>>
>> Incidentally, when they are actually broadcasting in HD (Monday night
>> football, for example) evewrything is fine.
>
> Actually when ABC (Chicago) broadcasts 4:3 content it is stretched, but
> not quite 16:9 on my LCD display. There are narrower than normal
> pillarboxes. If I set my display to 4:3 it looks correct aspect ratio for
> a 4:3 display. It is just that set to widescreen, everything 4:3 on ABC
> is horizontally fat (or is it horizontally challanged).
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 30, 2004 6:54:41 AM

lsimon@mail.com (Larry) wrote in

> Scott - I use 720P as opposed to 1080i as it is my understanding that
> 720P is 1280x720 which is the same resolution as the Samsung DLP
> displays. I think that using a signal that matches the "native"
> resolution of your display is supposed to get the best signal. I
> think that a 1080 signal, would just have to be converted to the
> 1280x720. Also the 1080i signal is "interlaced" which means it draws
> half (every other)of the lines on one sweep then goes back and draws
> the other half of the lines. The "P" does all lines each sweep.
>
> I'm not 100% sure on all this, but it is what I've gathered reading
> the newsgroups and browsing the internet.

As I understand it some networks (ABC and maybe Fox) are broadcasting
material in 720p while others are (CBS, NBC, PBS and most Canadian
providers) are broadcasting in 1080i. If your broadcast is in the native
mode of your TV, then there is certainly some advantage to NOT converting
it to something else first. But if it's in 1080i originally and your TV
is 720p, then you should probably experiment because it's gonna have to
be converted either in the set-top box or in the TV. Pick the setting
that looks best.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667