• Take CCNP and dabble in MCSE

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Or Take MCSE and dabble in CCNP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pensfan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
I need help deciding which cerification to take. I am in school now and am about done with my A+ and network+. I want to go into networking. My school offers MCSE and CCNP. I am not sure which one I should do. I do not have time to complete both, however I can complete one and dabble in the other.

Which one would you take?

Thanks for the help,

Jason

riser

Illustrious
CCNP is cisco based, WAN type. You would be doing network configurations, routing, VPN, almost exclusively working with Cisco equipment.

If you go the MCSE route, you'll be working with administering Windows Servers, LAN based mostly. You would be setting up DNS, Active Directory/Domains, Windows Security, SQL, along with hardware, etc.

MCSE seems to be more in-demand but CCNP will end up paying more and be a very secure position.

Personally, I'm going MCSE with a minor in CCNP because I prefer to deal with Windows networks and their systems. Cisco, once configured, doesn't require much to maintain. So, my thoughts are a Windows based admin with a minor in Cisco can make the adjustments.

Plus, an onsite Windows Server Admin will always be around to do work, whereas the Cisco can be consultuted and minor changes made by the MCSE person.

Basically, it depends what kind of job you're targeting. Either way, you're well off. It depends though, CCNP I would say it more geared to ISP type companies or consulting, whereas MCSE would be more towards mid to large companies, or even consulting after you've gained experience.

pensfan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Thanks Riser great info to think about.

I am not sure which I would rather do or even the job I would like to target. I wish I had enough time to do both, but I don't. I can master in one and dabble in the other. At first I thought I might have enough time to get certified in both or get my MCSE & CCNA combined. Or I could do CCNP & MCSA.

I am not sure which route is better to take.

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
CCNP and MCSA is the way to go. This is the route i went and it has definitely made an improvement in my overall knowledge and marketability. (Not to mention pay scale). :wink:

Best of luck...

calyn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
Starting off, the CCNP will have you work layers 1-4 in the OSI model, whereas the MCSE will have you work mainly layers 5-7 in the OSI model. It's important to decide which of the two you'd like to work with, as you'll likely be stuck with that the rest of your working life.

The CCNP is a path that is in high demand with all major companies and the jobsecurity is high. ISP's also require CCNP for the better jobs, although CCIP and ultimately CCIE is more geared towards ISP's. The CCNP certification is more generic than CCIP (which deals mainly with IP and routing of IP) and with that certifiaction you're almost certain of getting a good job from the onset. The CCNP certification lets employers know you can maintain and configure network infrastructures, and troubleshoot those if need arises. The Cisco certification is harder, but employers also know the quality of certified people and what to expect.

MCSE on the other hand is much more server maintenance, and doesn't really care about networks, as long as they are there, and although more companies like to have an MCSE on staff, there are also more people with that certification, so competition for the jobs is arguably higher. Also note that the MCSE certification has historically had some issues (MCSE NT4 anyone?)

riser

Illustrious
To be honest.. once you leave school, your education doesn't stop there.

Ask anyone. We all still go out and try to get more certifications, renew our current ones, and keep on working away. It never really ends until you get a job that doesn't care as much about maintaining certifications - but you lose your marketing and you de-value yourself that much more.

I was on track going for my MCSE but I keep falling off that little horse because I'm working and have others thing to do. I'm also looking at going with the CCNP myself. I gain no benefit at my current job by getting these certs, but I do increase my marketing to other companies.

In the end, get one cert, then start working on the next. It never ends.. get used to that one.

fraggelrock

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
A friend of mine specializes in this stuff - see prepmasters.com

Ask Suki (owner), she can give you some real world advice - since she has these certs.

riser

Illustrious
I might be using www.insidertraining.com to speed up my MCSE.. night courses so I force myself to study and have someone to bounce questions off.

$3500, 4 month course, 2 hours a week online classes.. do your labs alone, etc.

Generally a bootcamp would cost $5k to $10k for that. I'll go as far as my CCNA.. no desire to get heavy into Cisco yet.

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I have used\currently use www.quickcert.com to keep up to date on my certs. The videos are ehhh but they are very informative. I pay $1200 a year for access to their full library. It is great if you want to learn in your spare time.

Best of luck