All my icons are changed to word icons

Hello,
all my icons are changed to same icon type even they are different applications.... what to da?
20 answers Last reply
More about icons changed word icons
  1. You need to change default programs associated with the files. If you're using windows 7, you can just press start and click on "default programs". It should be the same with other OS but if not.. you should be able to find it by going control panel > install/uninstall programs. Another alternative is to download a software that deletes associates with file types. CNET download.com has those [used one in the past]
  2. Fix this with program Default Programs Editor
    in program select File type setting -> Icon
  3. I had the same problem.This is due to virus.
  4. which virus? how do you sort this?
  5. Fuzail56 said:
    I had the same problem.This is due to virus.

It is not due to a virus.... :/. It's your lnk file association. It's very simple to change and not sure why Microsoft even made it that easy of an option.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/somehow-all-of-my-desktop-iconsprograms-got/5d6696c5-d36d-4b8a-850a-f942e66e1bd5

Heres your answer. Theres also some zip downloads on other forums that will correct it for you with out having to set up a new user / restore as Microsoft suggest. However... Do so at your own risk ;).
  6. 1. Go to Start Menu
    2.Type regedit in search box
    3. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\
    4. Look for .lnk extension
    5. Delete .lnk key or delete the userchioce key
    6. Reboot
  7. tufzz said:
    1. Go to Start Menu
    3. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\
    6. Reboot
  8. thank you so much Tuffz, you helped me. thank you thank you and thank you
  9. 0

down vote

RIGHT CLICK THE ICON THAT IS APPEARING IN WRONG FORMAT. (YOU NEED TO FIND OUT THE FILE LOCATION THAT IS WRONG) THIS WILL HELP IF ALL YOUR ICONS HAVE CHANGED TO NOTEPAD, ADOBE OR WHATEVER. THE FILE LOCATION WILL SAY EITHER .LNK .EXE .JPEG AND SO ON. THIS IS CALLED A REGISTRY ERROR. HERES HOW TO FIX.

CLICK THE START BUTTON ON THE BOTTOM LEFT

TYPE REGEDIT IN THE SEARCH BOX

CLICK YES IF IT POPS UP

THEN GO TO HKEY_CURRENT_USER

SOFTWARE

MICROSOFT

WINDOWS

CURRENT VERSION

EXPLORER

FILE EXTS

THEN FIND WHAT EXTENSION ALL YOUR ICONS ARE SHOWING UP AS WHETHER ITS .LNK .EXE AND DOUBLE CLICK ON IT

RIGHT CLICK USER CHOICE THEN DELETE

CLICK YES

YOU WILL NEED TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AND THEN ALL OF YOUR ICONS WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL
  10. Thank you very much

V_DUB_GUY said:

down vote

RIGHT CLICK THE ICON THAT IS APPEARING IN WRONG FORMAT. (YOU NEED TO FIND OUT THE FILE LOCATION THAT IS WRONG) THIS WILL HELP IF ALL YOUR ICONS HAVE CHANGED TO NOTEPAD, ADOBE OR WHATEVER. THE FILE LOCATION WILL SAY EITHER .LNK .EXE .JPEG AND SO ON. THIS IS CALLED A REGISTRY ERROR. HERES HOW TO FIX.

CLICK YES IF IT POPS UP

SOFTWARE

MICROSOFT

WINDOWS

CURRENT VERSION

EXPLORER

FILE EXTS

THEN FIND WHAT EXTENSION ALL YOUR ICONS ARE SHOWING UP AS WHETHER ITS .LNK .EXE AND DOUBLE CLICK ON IT

CLICK YES

YOU WILL NEED TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AND THEN ALL OF YOUR ICONS WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL
  11. Thanks you so much its work....
    1. Go to Start Menu
    5. Delete the userchioce key
    6. Reboot
  12. tufzz said:
    1. Go to Start Menu
    6. Reboot

THANKS TUFZZ!!!!!!! #5 is alive!!!
  13. MusaD said:
    tufzz said:
    1. Go to Start Menu
    6. Reboot

14. thanks so much
  15. thanks so much
  16. MusaD said:
    tufzz said:
    1. Go to Start Menu
    6. Reboot

hi
    how do u find userchoice
  17. tufzz said:
    1. Go to Start Menu
    6. Reboot

My regedit extension not work, i mean it comes on start menu when i type it - but after click yes when it popup nothing happened.

what i do. Please Help Me.
  18. tufzz said:
    1. Go to Start Menu
    6. Reboot
  19. Thanks tufzz,
    This process worked for me when I deleted BOTH the .lnk folder and the userchoice folder.
    Windows 7 professional
  20. really I 10Q U!.............thank you....u teach me very well....10QU! 10QU! 10QU!
    V_DUB_GUY said:

down vote

CLICK YES IF IT POPS UP

SOFTWARE

MICROSOFT

WINDOWS

CURRENT VERSION

EXPLORER

FILE EXTS

CLICK YES

Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Icons Windows 7