Is An Open Box Video Card Worth It?

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Has anyone ordered an open box card from Newegg? I'm building a PC for a friend and I was looking at THIS card to put in it, but I've never bought an open box. Is it likely to be as reliable as a retail version? Anyone had any problems? I understand it only comes with the card but he won't need a driver disc and it doesn't even have a power connector to worry about. Of all the thousands I've ever spent at the 'Egg I've never had to send anything back. They surely wouldn't have any problems taking an open box back, right?

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I have an opened box x1950xt now. Have had it for 3 months now, and not a problem.

I haven't ever had a problem with open box or any of Neweggs used and returned items. I would rather go that route and save some loot.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
You might try going to the source to get your information about how Newegg treats open box items. Here I did the work for you. You are welcome.

http://www.newegg.com/CustomerService/ReturnPolicy.asp#8

Thanks for the link, but I've already seen that page. My concern wasn't so much about what Newegg says they will take care of, but more about what other's have experienced going that route.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have never purchased anything open box from newegg, but if you have a Microcenter retail store near by you can get some pretty good open box deals from them. Also they are generally negotiable on the price as well. Plus they have the same 30day return policy on open items as new ones for most stuff.

Generally its stuff people bought and figured they didn't really need. I once picked up two EVGA 7900GT KO cards for 185 a piece. I think they were still going for $250 new on Newegg at the time. Made a nice SLI setup.

trooper1947

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Has anyone ordered an open box card from Newegg? I'm building a PC for a friend and I was looking at THIS card to put in it, but I've never bought an open box. Is it likely to be as reliable as a retail version? Anyone had any problems? I understand it only comes with the card but he won't need a driver disc and it doesn't even have a power connector to worry about. Of all the thousands I've ever spent at the 'Egg I've never had to send anything back. They surely wouldn't have any problems taking an open box back, right?

Have been buying from newegg for years ... PLATINUM service ... they test all open box before selling ! Never had any problems !