8800gts sli questions?!?!

pimpinwilly

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
i currently have a POV 8800gts 640mb video card and am looking at getting another one to go sli...

i was just wonder if the second card had to be the 640mb version too or if it could be the 320 mb version?????

Also dose it matter if the 2 8800gts's are different brands? i dont think it does but im not completly sure.

appreciate ur help.. thanks

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
This is taken straight off of nvidias website.

"Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?
While it is not recommended, NVIDIA does offer this flexibility using Coolbits. When purchasing a second graphics card, you should try to match the memory size so that you are ensured full value and performance from your purchase. For example, if your first card is a GeForce 6600 GT with 128MB of memory, you should purchase a second GeForce 6600 GT with 128MB of memory. However, using Coolbits (value set to 18), you can force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate together in SLI mode. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using Coolbits, the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the two memory sizes. Instructions to enable this feature can be found"

Not sure if this applies to the 8800 cards but the answers to your other questions can be found here.

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq