Can't set IE as default browser

How do I reset IE as the default browser? Problem is that when I come
across a link in a web page I want to go to it defaults to Firefox -
which I don't want. I've looked everywhere (I think!) in Internet
settings, tools etc but can't find any reference to this. Help please

Thanks

Pete L

Pete L wrote:
> How do I reset IE as the default browser? Problem is that when I come
> across a link in a web page I want to go to it defaults to Firefox -
> which I don't want. I've looked everywhere (I think!) in Internet
> settings, tools etc but can't find any reference to this. Help please
>
> Thanks
>
> Pete L

Here's a solution previously post by Frank Saunders:

Open Windows Explorer.
Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and select it.
Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
(Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the
double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

#1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.

If that doesn't fix it, go to Start | Run and type

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

gls858

Gordon

Pete L wrote:
> How do I reset IE as the default browser? Problem is that when I come
> across a link in a web page I want to go to it defaults to Firefox -
> which I don't want. I've looked everywhere (I think!) in Internet
> settings, tools etc but can't find any reference to this. Help please
>
> Thanks
>
> Pete L

In IE Tools-Internet Options-Programs and at the bottom, check the box
"IE should check whether it's the default Browser". Next time you launch
it, you should get a question - "Do you want IE to be the default
browser". Click on "Yes".

HTH

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Hi Pete,

If you're running XP SP1 and above, you can use the Set Program Access and
Defaults in the Add/Remove Programs applet, and set IE as the default
browser. Or, execute these commands from Start/Run dialog:

shmgrate.exe OCInstallReinstallIE
regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

Tip #41: Setting Internet Explorer as the default browser
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User