Can't set IE as default browser

How do I reset IE as the default browser? Problem is that when I come
across a link in a web page I want to go to it defaults to Firefox -
which I don't want. I've looked everywhere (I think!) in Internet
settings, tools etc but can't find any reference to this. Help please

Thanks

Pete L
3 answers Last reply
More about default browser

    Pete L wrote:
    > How do I reset IE as the default browser? Problem is that when I come
    > across a link in a web page I want to go to it defaults to Firefox -
    > which I don't want. I've looked everywhere (I think!) in Internet
    > settings, tools etc but can't find any reference to this. Help please
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Pete L

    Here's a solution previously post by Frank Saunders:

    Open Windows Explorer.
    Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
    Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and select it.
    Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
    Select 'open'.
    Click Edit.

    "Application used to perform this action" should read:

    "C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
    (Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the
    double quotes.)

    DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

    #1:
    "%1",,-1,0,,,,
    IExplore
    #3 (blank)

    WWW_OpenURL

    URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

    Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.

    If that doesn't fix it, go to Start | Run and type

    regsvr32 urlmon.dll

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    gls858

    Pete L wrote:
    > How do I reset IE as the default browser? Problem is that when I come
    > across a link in a web page I want to go to it defaults to Firefox -
    > which I don't want. I've looked everywhere (I think!) in Internet
    > settings, tools etc but can't find any reference to this. Help please
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Pete L

    In IE Tools-Internet Options-Programs and at the bottom, check the box
    "IE should check whether it's the default Browser". Next time you launch
    it, you should get a question - "Do you want IE to be the default
    browser". Click on "Yes".

    HTH

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    Hi Pete,

    If you're running XP SP1 and above, you can use the Set Program Access and
    Defaults in the Add/Remove Programs applet, and set IE as the default
    browser. Or, execute these commands from Start/Run dialog:

    shmgrate.exe OCInstallReinstallIE
    regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

    Tip #41: Setting Internet Explorer as the default browser
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Pete L" <peterlavington@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How do I reset IE as the default browser? Problem is that when I come
    > across a link in a web page I want to go to it defaults to Firefox -
    > which I don't want. I've looked everywhere (I think!) in Internet
    > settings, tools etc but can't find any reference to this. Help please
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Pete L

Default Internet Explorer Browsers Windows XP