how do i dual boot with vista

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Hello

I would like to dual boot with vista and xp. I have vista installed on the drive already. i would like to add xp later. I only have one hd. So partation is a must but the partition software do not work with vista. Can anyone tell me how to solve my situation.

Thanks

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I've just been researching this myself since I plan on doing this with my new build.

Anyway, I'll share what I've found out. To get things to work out right, first partition your drive.

Then instal xp on whatever you named the partition that isn't C:. You have to make sure you don't instal xp on your C: partition, because Vista will automatically install some of it's files on the C: drive, and will overwrite any xp files you have there.

After xp is installed on that other partition, boot it up and instal Vista on your C: drive from within xp.

That should setup everything properly and vista should then automatically load a boot select screen when you startup. Good luck.

danny9894

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
I did this in reverse order but I can imagine you can do it the same way here. I had XP installed on my desktop and I used partition magic to split the drive in half. I installed vista on that other half and I was ready to go. There are other ways you could partition the drive but that was imo the best way to do it with XP already being installed.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I did this in reverse order but I can imagine you can do it the same way here. I had XP installed on my desktop and I used partition magic to split the drive in half. I installed vista on that other half and I was ready to go. There are other ways you could partition the drive but that was imo the best way to do it with XP already being installed.

When you did the split, was XP on the C or D partition, and (if C) Vista allowed you to install it to D? And you did this with the upgrade version?

Thx.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Thank you all for your replies.

I have vista installed already. Do you guys think i can install winsxp on second partition on the same drive and dual boot? I did that in the past with vista beta but it did not work out. I want to make sure if this works out with retail version because i don't want to spend a lot of time on installing os. do you have any inputs.

Thanks.

danny9894

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Thank you all for your replies.

I have vista installed already. Do you guys think i can install winsxp on second partition on the same drive and dual boot? I did that in the past with vista beta but it did not work out. I want to make sure if this works out with retail version because i don't want to spend a lot of time on installing os. do you have any inputs.

Thanks.
Yea it should work just fine