User Accounts are stupid! Please explain.

I've never understood how user accounts work. If I had 1 user account that
has all my programs installed on it and I decided to add another account,
some programs won't show in the programs menu of the new account. Dos this
mean I have to reinstall the programs under the new account?

Thanks

James
12 answers Last reply
More about user accounts stupid explain

    If you can't understand, why use the phrase "user accounts are stupid"?

    For much on user accounts see

    http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

    Gord

    James wrote:
    > I've never understood how user accounts work. If I had 1 user account that
    > has all my programs installed on it and I decided to add another account,
    > some programs won't show in the programs menu of the new account. Dos this
    > mean I have to reinstall the programs under the new account?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > James

    Many of the newer programs now ask if you want to install
    for one user or all. Most of the time you can just move the shortcut
    to the All user folder under Document and Settings. Sharon F had a very
    good description of the use folders in the thread "User account and related
    computer settings" On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:25:40.

    Some programs you will need to run the install but it doesn't do a complete
    install it just adds the needed pointers to the program files.

    gls858

    My Family Swears by them... Or at least I do... On every computer we have
    there are user accounts for every member of the family... each account has
    different levels of access and it works wonderfully, at least for me... I
    know the design was not as such but for me, thumbs up...

    "James" <jwr18@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I've never understood how user accounts work. If I had 1 user account that
    > has all my programs installed on it and I decided to add another account,
    > some programs won't show in the programs menu of the new account. Dos this
    > mean I have to reinstall the programs under the new account?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > James

    "James" <jwr18@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I've never understood how user accounts work. If I had 1 user account that
    > has all my programs installed on it and I decided to add another account,
    > some programs won't show in the programs menu of the new account. Dos this
    > mean I have to reinstall the programs under the new account?

    Not always. I find most programs will work if you just move the shortcut
    from:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Start Menu\Programs

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

    Thanks to all who responded. I understand it now. It is still stupid to have
    to go through all that

    James

    > Thanks to all who responded. I understand it now. It is still stupid to
    have
    > to go through all that

    Only because most applications were written for earlier OS. Wait until you
    have kids then tell us that seperate user accounts are a daft idea.

    PS You don't have to set up different user accounts if you don't want to.

    James wrote:
    > Thanks to all who responded. I understand it now. It is still stupid to have
    > to go through all that
    >
    > James

    Then I suggest you go back to Windows 98, or better still Windows 3.11.

    Just move your whole folder over the top of the All Users Start > Programs
    folder? Dahhh!
    "James" <jwr18@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks to all who responded. I understand it now. It is still stupid to
    > have to go through all that
    >
    > James
    >

    > "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "James" <jwr18@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> I've never understood how user accounts work. If I had 1 user account
    >>> that
    >>> has all my programs installed on it and I decided to add another
    >>> account,
    >>> some programs won't show in the programs menu of the new account. Dos
    >>> this
    >>> mean I have to reinstall the programs under the new account?
    >>
    >> Not always. I find most programs will work if you just move the shortcut
    >> from:
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Start Menu\Programs

    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

    You don't need to be a dick.

    "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > James wrote:
    >> Thanks to all who responded. I understand it now. It is still stupid to
    >> have to go through all that
    >>
    >> James
    >
    > Then I suggest you go back to Windows 98, or better still Windows 3.11.

    Don't be a dick.

    James wrote:
    > You don't need to be a dick.

    Well *you* are, by saying they are stupid. They're there for a reason.

    The idea is not stupid, the implementation is idiotic.

    > James wrote:
    >> You don't need to be a dick.
    >>

    > Well *you* are, by saying they are stupid. They're there for a reason.

Microsoft User Accounts Windows XP