User Accounts are stupid! Please explain.

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • User Accounts
  • Windows XP
April 26, 2005 5:32:18 PM

I've never understood how user accounts work. If I had 1 user account that
has all my programs installed on it and I decided to add another account,
some programs won't show in the programs menu of the new account. Dos this
mean I have to reinstall the programs under the new account?

Thanks

James

More about : user accounts stupid explain

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:32:19 PM

If you can't understand, why use the phrase "user accounts are stupid"?

For much on user accounts see

http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

Gord

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:32:18 -0600, "James" <jwr18@comcast.net> wrote:

>I've never understood how user accounts work. If I had 1 user account that
>has all my programs installed on it and I decided to add another account,
>some programs won't show in the programs menu of the new account. Dos this
>mean I have to reinstall the programs under the new account?
>
>Thanks
>

>James

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 6:51:12 PM

James wrote:
> I've never understood how user accounts work. If I had 1 user account that
> has all my programs installed on it and I decided to add another account,
> some programs won't show in the programs menu of the new account. Dos this
> mean I have to reinstall the programs under the new account?
>
> Thanks
>

> James

Many of the newer programs now ask if you want to install
for one user or all. Most of the time you can just move the shortcut
to the All user folder under Document and Settings. Sharon F had a very
good description of the use folders in the thread "User account and related
computer settings" On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:25:40.

Some programs you will need to run the install but it doesn't do a complete
install it just adds the needed pointers to the program files.

gls858
April 27, 2005 12:10:10 AM

My Family Swears by them... Or at least I do... On every computer we have
there are user accounts for every member of the family... each account has
different levels of access and it works wonderfully, at least for me... I
know the design was not as such but for me, thumbs up...

"James" <jwr18@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've never understood how user accounts work. If I had 1 user account that
> has all my programs installed on it and I decided to add another account,
> some programs won't show in the programs menu of the new account. Dos this
> mean I have to reinstall the programs under the new account?
>
> Thanks
>

> James

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:55:30 AM

"James" <jwr18@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've never understood how user accounts work. If I had 1 user account that
> has all my programs installed on it and I decided to add another account,
> some programs won't show in the programs menu of the new account. Dos this
> mean I have to reinstall the programs under the new account?

Not always. I find most programs will work if you just move the shortcut
from:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Start Menu\Programs

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
April 27, 2005 1:55:31 AM

Thanks to all who responded. I understand it now. It is still stupid to have
to go through all that

James

> "James" <jwr18@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I've never understood how user accounts work. If I had 1 user account
>> that
>> has all my programs installed on it and I decided to add another account,
>> some programs won't show in the programs menu of the new account. Dos
>> this
>> mean I have to reinstall the programs under the new account?
>
> Not always. I find most programs will work if you just move the shortcut
> from:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Start Menu\Programs

> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:40:39 AM

> Thanks to all who responded. I understand it now. It is still stupid to
have
> to go through all that

Only because most applications were written for earlier OS. Wait until you
have kids then tell us that seperate user accounts are a daft idea.

PS You don't have to set up different user accounts if you don't want to.
April 27, 2005 12:20:34 PM

James wrote:
> Thanks to all who responded. I understand it now. It is still stupid to have
> to go through all that
>
> James

Then I suggest you go back to Windows 98, or better still Windows 3.11.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:23:29 AM

Just move your whole folder over the top of the All Users Start > Programs
folder? Dahhh!
"James" <jwr18@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Thanks to all who responded. I understand it now. It is still stupid to
> have to go through all that
>
> James
>

> "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
>>
>> "James" <jwr18@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I've never understood how user accounts work. If I had 1 user account
>>> that
>>> has all my programs installed on it and I decided to add another
>>> account,
>>> some programs won't show in the programs menu of the new account. Dos
>>> this
>>> mean I have to reinstall the programs under the new account?
>>
>> Not always. I find most programs will work if you just move the shortcut
>> from:
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Start Menu\Programs

>> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

April 29, 2005 12:19:09 AM

You don't need to be a dick.

"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> James wrote:
>> Thanks to all who responded. I understand it now. It is still stupid to
>> have to go through all that
>>
>> James
>
> Then I suggest you go back to Windows 98, or better still Windows 3.11.
April 29, 2005 12:20:38 AM

Don't be a dick.

"Jason Marshall" <jasonmarshall34@SPAMTRAP-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just move your whole folder over the top of the All Users Start > Programs
> folder? Dahhh!
> "James" <jwr18@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks to all who responded. I understand it now. It is still stupid to
>> have to go through all that
>>
>> James
>>

>> "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "James" <jwr18@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Not always. I find most programs will work if you just move the shortcut
>>> from:
>>>
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Start Menu\Programs

>>> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

April 29, 2005 11:17:11 AM

James wrote:
> You don't need to be a dick.

Well *you* are, by saying they are stupid. They're there for a reason.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:44:08 AM

The idea is not stupid, the implementation is idiotic.

!