hardyb

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Just curious if I can take hp off an existing computer and add it to new build, I dont have disk all I have it reboot for HP that I made myself. Thanks guys

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Do you mean your hard drive from your old to be put into a new?

It most likely won't boot. And, in order to "FIX" it, you need an XP cd - which you say you don't have. You also need your product key from the old machine.

You need to borrow an OEM Home version (or Pro - if that's what you had). When you find one to borrow, and after you install the hd in the new, restart - go up into the BIOS and make sure the boot priority has the cd drive first - pop in the cd - boot to it - hit Enter at the first Repair screen - hit R at the second Repair screen. DO NOT BOOT TO THE CD the next two restarts.

You most likely will have to call MS to activate - which shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. Tell them your old HP died, and give them the product #. It won't be a problem.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You didn't answer my question.

Are you thinking of moving the old hard drive, as is, into the new?

This would be the most tedious way to get XP on the new rig; because you'd have to repair it anyway.

Like I said, "borrow" someones' OEM XP disc - install fresh (don't repair), using your KEY.

It's got to be the same version as what you had - Home or Pro - because the product keys are different for each.