Jul 12, 2006
Asus P5GD2 Deluxe
P4 3.0 GHz Prescott
2 gig DDR2 533
Asus 7900GS
Seagate 500 gig SATA2 harddrive
PSU 480
Windows XP

I have recently upgraded graphic card and harddrive. I have a little left (little). I don´t have enough for new board, cpu and ram.

My question:

Is it possible for me to upgrade only the motherboard and use the ram and CPU I have for about 2 months?

I want a board that will except dual core, faster ram and faster bus.

I am thinking about:

ASUS P5B
or
ASUS P5B-E

All input welcome

Thanks

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yeah, it's totally possible. The only thing you'll have to do is reinstall XP.

The P5B-E and P5B are great boards, but the vanilla P5B isnt too good for oc'ing, that's where the P5B and P5B Deluxe really shine. The Gigabyte DS3 is a great board as well.

htredneck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Yes, it is a socket 775 board. Yes, I was thinking it would be better to buy all 3 at the same time. It is just harder to come up with the money for all 3. To come up with the money for just one is alway easy. oh well.

Thanks

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Yes, it is a socket 775 board. Yes, I was thinking it would be better to buy all 3 at the same time. It is just harder to come up with the money for all 3. To come up with the money for just one is alway easy. oh well.

Thanks

How about:

come up with the money for one - buy one - put in cupboard,
come up with the money for one - buy one - put in cupboard,
come up with the money for one - buy one - upgrade machine?

I've had to do it that way on many occasions to stop other demands from taking 'the money for one'.

Q

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
I too am a Po Boy... I had to save up money for Close to a year to buy my rig...

Short of selling a Kidney.

And what I saw during that time I am glad I decided to stretch it out.

I saw prices drop, Speeds increase, Capacities triple, and power reduce by at least 25%.

Needless to say the computer I have right now was not the one I started building in my head back in april of 06'.

Just piece it together slowly, buy the best deal you see. I think it will be in the CPU area to start... at least it would seem so.

chilli

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
best plan with planning on buiying a new rig/performing major upgrade:
work out roughly how much the whole lot will cost, get the money together and only when you have the funds ready do you actually look at specifically waht to get.

For instance, I woudl really love a 8800GTX but at the rate im saving, I could afford one probably by 2016... And Im guessing that by then there will be one or 2 cards better then that ;)

TRENDING THREADS