New AMD K10 will be called Phenom ?

108 answers Last reply
More about called phenom
  1. OK, but i dont read french!
    also
    Phenom is a progressive rock group from Bangalore, India

Phenom" (1993)
    TV-Series 1993-1994
  2. Translation is K10 desktop will be named Phenom X2 for Dual Core and Phenom X4 for QuadCore
  3. Sounds more ridiculous than 'Core 2 Duo'. :twisted:
  4. Quote:
    New AMD K10 will be called Phenom ?

I hope so,
    it could be a good brand refresh for an excelent performer that K10 is anticipaded to be, without any conections to the almost absolete Opteron brand.
  5. Quote:
    Sounds more ridiculous than 'Core 2 Duo'. :twisted:

Well it has a certain resonace (if the accent is placed right) that trigers a certain feeling inside the listeners, which is a very good thing for a product name, and also sounds very futuristic.
  6. Ha ha ... the name is hilarious...

How abount Core2Killer ???
    Core2Killer x2
    Core2Killer x4

:lol:

Why not just keep Agena, Barcelona, Kuma etc ... it sounds alot better.
  7. I agree that the Opteron, Sempron, Athlon 64 ... are obsolete and a refresh is very much needed.
  8. as in it would be phenomenal if K10 actually launches... much less performs up to the hype... Heck, is it even real?
  9. Phenominal marketing idea :lol:
  10. It reminds me of that Vice City mission, Phantom Penh 86' which has the reference to Penom Penh in Columbia (I think :p)

Still, I like the name, even more than Athlon.
  11. glad somebody has a reason to like em... but cute/cool names do little for getting work done, or gaming... how about Passdabuck... or Stealthalon... eh, simply Paper Tiger works too.
  12. I just can't help but think of the Undertaker when I see the name. And I haven't watched wrestling for about a decade.
  13. Quote:
    It reminds me of that Vice City mission, Phantom Penh 86' which has the reference to Penom Penh in Columbia (I think :p)

Still, I like the name, even more than Athlon.
    Thats the capitol of Cambodia
  14. Quote:
    Ha ha ... the name is hilarious...

Core2Killer x2
    Core2Killer x4

I agree.
    Release benchmarks now and name it this.
    Would alleviate concerns over AMD pussying out as of late and perhaps salvage some faith in the brand.
  15. so when will the phenom bomb? :lol:
  16. Phenom eh? Phantom's more like it.
  17. agreed, paper phantom.
  18. LOL... the Phenomal Phantom...
  19. id accepted 'crap in a box' provided it performed well,but the general public might be more willing to buy a product called Phemon (if they market it properly) what gets my goat is that every one knows the signiture Intel 'dum dum dum dum' what is AMD's? they need to establish a signiture that everyone will recognise so that people stop asking is it a pentium? instead they will ask has it got one of those new Phenom processors in?
  20. I think Agena would be a sellable name, Kuma is a bit of a stretch. Opteron should stay, it's got plenty of business cred.
  21. Marketing tip... AMD painstakingly custom made eVery Agena (pronounced ah-GIN-ah) special incorporating (car plug) V8 technology... will now be known as the rash/wrath of Vagina!

Baron has had the vagina rash for some time now... :wink:
  22. Ya, AMD should come up with names like "Ghost" or "Vapor" or "Invisible". Definitely more fitting :lol:
  23. Quote:
    Ha ha ... the name is hilarious...

Core2Killer x2
    Core2Killer x4

Aren't Agena and pals the core names and not the brand names? I think they could have picked better sounding stars...

Phenom as a brand...not bad at all. Not a bad idea to drop the Athlon brand.
  24. Quote:
    Translation is K10 desktop will be named Phenom X2 for Dual Core and Phenom X4 for QuadCore

Those names do have a cool sound to them.
  25. phemon is a least a name i know, i still dont know what the hell a duron,sempron,or athlon is? Phenomx2, just doesnt do it for me, they keep it simple call it amd kx4 or amd kx2, drop the athlon, it sounds kinda extreme, and not like some boutique pc builder.
  26. Quote:
    as in it would be phenomenal if K10 actually launches... much less performs up to the hype... Heck, is it even real?

yup

I believe they named it for the Phenomenal wait until they release benchmarks.
  27. I think its a good name choice, and Athlon was starting to get old.

As for Core 2 Duo/Quad, I'm still scratching my head over how they ever decided on those names. Talk about trying to confuse the customer! What is there now: Core (?), Core Duo, Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad? Without an enthusiast knowledge, those must be bloody confusing.
  28. i think phenom is a great name for the new procs; more attractive to the general costomer than athlon, and also getting rid of the old stereotypes.
  29. Quote:
    i think phenom is a great name for the new procs; more attractive to the general costomer than athlon, and also getting rid of the old stereotypes.

Yeah lol about time they drop the "ON" type like Opteron, Atlhon, Duron, Sempron, Turion. Megatron would had been nice.
  30. Quote:
    i think phenom is a great name for the new procs; more attractive to the general costomer than athlon, and also getting rid of the old stereotypes.

Yeah lol about time they drop the "ON" type like Opteron, Atlhon, Duron, Sempron, Turion. Megatron would had been nice.

or Gasitron in homage to Henry, Dirk and Hector.
  31. Quote:
    So are we going to short-hand this CPU as P4???

Dear god no.

Well, AMD already gave us its version of the Prescott with the QFX last fall. Probably would have cut down on my heating bills last winter if I had one of those cpu duos.
  32. Quote:
    So are we going to short-hand this CPU as P4???

Dear god no.

Well, AMD already gave us its version of the Prescott with the QFX last fall. Probably would have cut down on my heating bills last winter if I had one of those cpu duos.

What is a little bewildering and humorous --- the Prescott launch breached 103 Watts and you would think the world was about to end... yet, not a mention of the 6000+'s 120 Watts ....

None the less -- I am beginning to think the GPU guys need to take a cue from the CPU guys.... the R600 is going around 270 Watts or so.... damn.

Word

<edit>
    And if the HHD guys would take a hint from the CPU guys and get the HDDs performance up. Enough with the capacity already.

Im going into fits waiting for the SSDs to start impacting.
  33. Phenom? Ok someone thinks highly of themselves.

AMD you narcissistic punks! Wake up! you're not all that.
  34. Hell, even Intelis getting into SSD manufacturing.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20070312corp.htm

There are now more SSD manufacturers than mechanical drive manufacturers. WHY CANT WE GET THESE DAM THINGS FROM THE EGG OR ZZZ YET?
  35. Quote:
    Hell, even Intelis getting into SSD manufacturing.

There are now more SSD manufacturers than mechanical drive manufacturers. WHY CANT WE GET THESE DAM THINGS FROM THE EGG OR ZZZ YET?

word
  36. What difference does it make. If AMD's having fab problems manufacturing K10s, they might as well use this old joke:

Guy walks into a bar carrying a dog with no legs. The bartender says "Hey, strange dog. What's its name?" Guy replies "Has no name." Bartender says "Come on, every dog has a name!" Guy exclaims "If I call him, is he gonna come?"

Aint no point naming something like that! :twisted:
  37. Quote:
    i thought the guy walking into the bar would say ouch. but im wrong most of the time

Padded bar. Kinda like your cell. :twisted:

JUST KIDDIN'! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  38. Quote:
    padded walls
    and round so no corners

I know... if you look carefully about 18 inches left of the door, you'll see my initials scratched out with my teeth. They wouldn't take that damn longsleeved shirt off me!!! :evil:
  39. Quote:

or Gasitron in homage to Henry, Dirk and Hector.Heck, they could have called it MIA (missing in action). Then it would have been in line with their naming scheme and realistic. :lol: :lol: :lol:
  40. Around this time I would call it McAthlon if it would get it on the market any faster. :roll:
  41. Zounds french deu mee, and we all know how good the french are at fighting wars 8O
  42. Quote:
    Around this time I would call it McAthlon if it would get it on the market any faster. :roll:
    LMAO that just might work. Target all the fat people...
  43. Quote:
    Hell, even Intelis getting into SSD manufacturing.

I've seen a lot of hype about these solid state drives and it all sounds real exciting until you look closely.
    Quote:
    The product comes in 1 Gigabyte (GB), 2GB, 4GB and 8GB densities. With fast reads of 28 megabytes (MB) per second and write speeds of 20 MB per second

Those are blazing read and write speeds and those drives are sure huge...not. I know they are suppose to be used for cache etc. But I would rather use more RAM. I also understand that latency is reduced significantly, but that doesn't make up for the abysmal read/write speeds. Fast SSDs do exist but they cost a huge fortune, like $30,000. I think we'll just have to leave them to the military. The SSDs are going to be used primarily for low power applications like notebooks etc. and of course all the applications for the tiny ones related in the article.

Edit: I just found an SSD, from the TG daily article on Sandisk to OEM to Dell. It looks like I have to eat my words.
    Quote:
    SanDisk SSD UATA 5000 achieves a sustained read rate of 62-megabyte (MB)*/sec and a random read rate of 7000 inputs/outputs per second (IOPS) for a 512-byte transfer – more than 100 times faster than any hard disk drive.
    Now these read numbers are impressive. I know the writes are considerably slower, and their not quoted in the page, but this actually looks really good. I wonder how much they cost.

SanDisk | OEM | Products | <p>SanDisk SSD Solid State Drives</p> | SanDisk SSD UATA 5000 1.8"
    http://www.sandisk.com/Oem/Default.aspx?CatID=1478
  44. Who cares how it will be called?
    I need a fast, cheap and OCable CPU and a software support for it.
  45. AMD should keep the Athlon name until they do a COMPLETE overhaul of the archetecture.

Intel made the same mistake with it's core branding. Core was a good step in the right direction, but Core 2 was the gem. Core should have just been called Pentium 4 or 5.

If Intel had done that they wouldn't need to call their products like this: Core 2 Quad and instead could just say Core Quad, sound a lot better.

AMD should save a name change until they make some major breakthrough. Core was evolutionary. Core 2 was revolutionary. Barcelona is not revolutionary but just an evolution of Athlon.
  46. The article that turned me on to the SSDs was from 2005. Been waiting a long time for them. They've been on the commercial market for servers, but have only recently entered the laptop market, and are still only available to the oems

Toms had another article late last year on the promising samsung unit, which is just now going to be offered by Dell in its laptops.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/20/conventional_hard_drive_obsoletism/
  47. Quote:
    ...what gets my goat is that every one knows the signiture Intel 'dum dum dum dum' what is AMD's? they need to establish a signiture that everyone will recognise. . . .
    Just as long as the AMD jingle is not "DUD DUD DUD DUD"

:)
  48. Quote:
    ...what gets my goat is that every one knows the signiture Intel 'dum dum dum dum' what is AMD's? they need to establish a signiture that everyone will recognise. . . .
    Just as long as the AMD jingle is not "DUD DUD DUD DUD"

:)

im thinking more of a mysterious whoosh... like WHHHEEEEEEWWWW.
  49. Ay Em Deeeeeeee
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Quad Quad Core AMD Phenom Product