Sign in with
Your question

Can I connect 2 Wireless Routers without cascading

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 18, 2007 12:02:55 AM

Hi

I have a WRTG54 and a WRT350N. I have just moved house and setting everything up. I currently use my WRT350N which works perfect.

Now I have a problem, I have a bonus room where I have a SlingBox and also Internet TV but no way to run cables unless I get someone to come in and do it....which I guess I just should do :-)

The question I have if I put my old WRT54G in the room, Can I connect to the other Linksys Router through that. I am guessing I would have to change it (WRT54G) to a static IP? and also make sure it does not give out the same DHCP address's.

So here it is I have a good working WRT350N and all machines connect. I need to connect 2 Ethernet Devices (at the other end of the house) to the old WRT54G which then in turn connect to the WRT350N

Any Help will do
May 4, 2007 9:47:29 PM

Just saw your post, not sure if you've solved your issues yet. But I'll post info anyway.
You want to do what they call 'Bridge' the wrt54g to the 350N. I would recommend you visit www.dd-wrt.com This is a free 3rd party firmware that you replace your original linksys wrt54G firmware with. I makes it real easy to bridge the router. Just read through.
I did this to connect my Xbox360 in the livingroom to my main router in the office with out having to by M$ 100.00 wifi adapter for the Xbox. I had an older wrt54g lying around.
May 11, 2007 12:33:35 AM

Not sure what the 3rd party firmware does but if it has WDS then you are fine if not then you need WDS on your AP's/Wireless Router's.
Related resources
!