Strange things happening on Reboot

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Hi there, I have a strange problem and I was hoping that someone could shed some light on the subject. I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

Basically my spec is as below and am overclocking happily through the BIOS.. on cold boot I can run 3D Mark 06 and get score around 9700. However if I do a reboot through windows.. my 3d performance suddenly goes terrible, i.e. 3D Mark 06 scores around 3000?! But if I do a shutdown and power back up, my performance is back to normal..

If I don't overclock the CPU, I have to underclock the Mem for performance to be consistent on reboot.. otherwise same thing happens.. wierd.

Can't work out if the is MOBO related, nvidia driver related (using latest 158.18 drivers), or OS related?? Took me ages to work out that the reboot was causing it?! Don't think it happened when I was on XP x64..

Any ideas, or known issues would be greatly appreciated.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Thanks for the reply.. my PSU is:

NorthQ 4775-500S, ATX 500W Silent, 140mm Fan

Should be enough.. like I said system is completely stable, this just happens on reboot.

It just seems wierd..

-xyzak-

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
My guess is that could be bios related. Try a diffrent bios or reflash with the current one. Try clearing CMOS.

Does the same happen when You run the system at, for example, 390 FSB? If so it may be a strapping problem. Im suggesting that because some asus boards shut down and restart on reboot at higher fsb

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Yeh it does seem to be BIOS related, I've tried rev F6, F7 and the latest F10 and all retained the same problem.

I've tried various FSB speeds, I used to have 667MHz memory installed.. and still had the same problem.. with FSB speeds of 333, etc..

The ONLY time I've been able to get the PC to reboot and retain performance was in this scenario:

FSB @ 266MHz x 9 2.4GHz (Stock speed)
2Gb DDR2 5300 @ 533MHz 3-3-3-9

Notice my old memory had to be underclocked. If I set the mem to stock speeds at 667MHz the problem still happened..

So from this evidence it seems to be related to memory.

-xyzak-

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Yeh it does seem to be BIOS related, I've tried rev F6, F7 and the latest F10 and all retained the same problem.

I've tried various FSB speeds, I used to have 667MHz memory installed.. and still had the same problem.. with FSB speeds of 333, etc..

The ONLY time I've been able to get the PC to reboot and retain performance was in this scenario:

FSB @ 266MHz x 9 2.4GHz (Stock speed)
2Gb DDR2 5300 @ 533MHz 3-3-3-9

Notice my old memory had to be underclocked. If I set the mem to stock speeds at 667MHz the problem still happened..

So from this evidence it seems to be related to memory.

Hmmm. You have tried both 667 and 800 mems and even underclocked the 667 to 533. This doesn't look like a memory problem. The most likely culprit is the north bridge. As I mentioned before some Asus boards use cold booting while restarting in order to set the strap. That is the case with my P5WS64 PRO. AFAIK Your board should be free of those problems. I would RMA it.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Yeh sorry, should've worded that better, didn't mean a problem with the memory itself but more a problem with the FSB.. or like you suggest the northbridge. I have read that the northbridge on these boards tends to get very hot; it only has a heatsink not a fan.

I could try emailing gigabyte before taking the RMA route, am not sure what their support is like, but is prob worth a shot.