Teleport Friend Question

Last response: in Video Games
March 3, 2005 11:52:36 PM

Whenever I am TP'd by someone, I always get a prompt to accept or decline.
I've had occasion when I've TP'd people and they've complained that they did
not want to be TP'd as if they had no option. Anybody know why this may be
the case? I have a suspicion that it may be connected to a little checkbox
when accepting to team. Can anyone confirm this?

--
8 Infinity Server 8
Purple Kid - Lvl 25 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy

"Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote:
> Whenever I am TP'd by someone, I always get a prompt to accept or
> decline. I've had occasion when I've TP'd people and they've
> complained that they did not want to be TP'd as if they had no option.
> Anybody know why this may be the case? I have a suspicion that it
> may be connected to a little checkbox when accepting to team. Can
> anyone confirm this?

When you get a team invite, the accept/decline box has a couple of little
status checks on it. I think they are "accept team gifts" and "accept
team services" or something like that. The check marks stay wherever you
set them from team to team. There might also be options in the Options
menu to set these in advance.

Poisonally, I find that the following macro works great:

/macro TTF "g Teleporting $target to <linebreak>
my location...$$powexec_name Recall Friend"

....in that you can pause a moment for them to yell at you before you
position the teleport ring and click. You could change the text to
something like "Ready for TP, $target?" too.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

In article <oOKVd.38168$xX3.19752@twister.socal.rr.com>, Hawaii_SE-R wrote:
> Whenever I am TP'd by someone, I always get a prompt to accept
> or decline. I've had occasion when I've TP'd people and they've
> complained that they did not want to be TP'd as if they had no
> option. Anybody know why this may be the case? I have a
> suspicion that it may be connected to a little checkbox when
> accepting to team. Can anyone confirm this?

It's in the options menu. By default, you accept all invites.
Tell those that complain to go to options and change it.

--
Neil Cerutti
March 4, 2005 12:37:44 AM

On 3 Mar 2005 21:19:35 GMT, Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:

> It's in the options menu. By default, you accept all invites.
> Tell those that complain to go to options and change it.

It's still best to be polite and ask the teleportee if it is all right
to teleport them, just in case. You can do this easily by binding a
key to "team $target, may I teleport you?" (or "tell $target, May
I...") and use it before you activate teleport.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 2:28:39 AM

"Robotech_Master" <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote:
> It's still best to be polite and ask the teleportee if it is all right
> to teleport them, just in case. You can do this easily by binding a
> key to "team $target, may I teleport you?" (or "tell $target, May
> I...") and use it before you activate teleport.

I think I'll just make sure eveyone on my team has the Team Teleport option
off.

--
8 Infinity Server 8
Purple Kid - Lvl 25 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy
SE-R - Lvl 21 - M - Science Blaster- Fire/Fire
Smart Hulkster - Lvl 7 - Science Tanker - Invulnerability/War Mace
Ursa Mjr - Lvl 9 - Mutant Controller - Mind Control/Storm Summoning
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:35:58 AM

"Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote:
> I think I'll just make sure eveyone on my team has the Team Teleport
> option off.

One of the purposes of Recall Friend is to drag a reddening ally out of
danger. There might not be time to write a polite, "Why, yes, thank you,
please do teleport my sagging ass out of the middle of this nest of Vampyri
you all seem to have stirred up on me."

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 20 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 6:04:03 AM

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

> One of the purposes of Recall Friend is to drag a reddening ally out of
> danger. There might not be time to write a polite, "Why, yes, thank you,
> please do teleport my sagging ass out of the middle of this nest of
Vampyri
> you all seem to have stirred up on me."

LOL

I agree and that is why I would prefer that the "Allow Team Teleport" is off
so that they get the option of accepting or declining a teleport without
having to respond/tell directly. I've save quite a few friends this way and
only once had one teammate get irate that I TP'd him. Granted he was not in
danger at the time and I was not aware he was pondering his options with his
contact but hey, I wanted to do the set team mish already =)
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 7:33:35 AM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 02:35:58 -0000, Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

> One of the purposes of Recall Friend is to drag a reddening ally
> out of danger. There might not be time to write a polite, "Why,
> yes, thank you, please do teleport my sagging ass out of the middle
> of this nest of Vampyri you all seem to have stirred up on me."

There's not always time to toggle your mouselook on and navigate the
pointer over to "Yes" in a dialogue box either, though, and going into
options to toggle approval on or off depending on situation is a pain.
This is why a lot of people prefer to leave approval off
intentionally, relying on their teammates' politeness to TP them only
when they're in dire straits or when they've granted their assent.

So perhaps I should have qualified that it's polite to ask *when their
health bar isn't in the process of vanishing*.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free Mac Mini!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 7:33:36 AM

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 02:35:58 -0000, Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
>
>> One of the purposes of Recall Friend is to drag a reddening ally
>> out of danger. There might not be time to write a polite, "Why,
>> yes, thank you, please do teleport my sagging ass out of the middle
>> of this nest of Vampyri you all seem to have stirred up on me."
>
>There's not always time to toggle your mouselook on and navigate the
>pointer over to "Yes" in a dialogue box either, though, and going into
>options to toggle approval on or off depending on situation is a pain.
>This is why a lot of people prefer to leave approval off
>intentionally, relying on their teammates' politeness to TP them only
>when they're in dire straits or when they've granted their assent.
>
>So perhaps I should have qualified that it's polite to ask *when their
>health bar isn't in the process of vanishing*.

/bind y "dialogyes"

They try to teleport, you hit y (or any other convenient key you'd
rather bind.)

Dialogyes and dialogno can be used to answer any popup that has yes/no
options.

One I use is /bind d "+right$$dialogyes"

It both moves me to the right (standard strafe), but when I right click
on a useless enhancement I want to delete, I just hit d for delete and
automatically also answer yes to the "are you sure" popup.

It's weird that you can delete an inspiration with no confirmation but
you can't do the same to an enhancement.
Not even as a configuration option like with teleporting and gifts.

Xocyll
March 4, 2005 8:51:22 AM

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in

> It both moves me to the right (standard strafe), but when I right
> click on a useless enhancement I want to delete, I just hit d for
> delete and automatically also answer yes to the "are you sure"
> popup.
>
> It's weird that you can delete an inspiration with no confirmation
> but you can't do the same to an enhancement.
> Not even as a configuration option like with teleporting and
> gifts.
>

> Xocyll

They might have done that because sometimes you just click the wrong
thing.

I wish they had a confirmation when buying enhancments. Sure I do an
info on it....but I can never remember if I need a defense buff or
damage resistance, and not all descriptions make sense.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 3:40:23 PM

J Anlee <janlee@ameritech.net> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in
>
>> It both moves me to the right (standard strafe), but when I right
>> click on a useless enhancement I want to delete, I just hit d for
>> delete and automatically also answer yes to the "are you sure"
>> popup.
>>
>> It's weird that you can delete an inspiration with no confirmation
>> but you can't do the same to an enhancement.
>> Not even as a configuration option like with teleporting and
>> gifts.
>>

>> Xocyll
>
>They might have done that because sometimes you just click the wrong
>thing.
>
>I wish they had a confirmation when buying enhancments. Sure I do an
>info on it....but I can never remember if I need a defense buff or
>damage resistance, and not all descriptions make sense.

That's still no reason not to have an OPTION for confirmation like
teleports/gifts.

Considering the amount of junk enhancements you get later on, combined
with the issue that unless you have space you just plain don't get your
reward for certain trials, result in a need at times to be able to
delete an enhancement very quickly - and yet they still have the
multi-click process and no option to remove it.

Xocyll
March 4, 2005 10:34:46 PM

"Robotech_Master" <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote:
> There's not always time to toggle your mouselook on and navigate the
> pointer over to "Yes" in a dialogue box either, though,

Sorry, didn't realize there were people out there who play CoH without using
their mouse. I still haven't come to a full grasp on the optional methods
of controls including binds so I guess it highly plausable that one could do
this though I do often use the mouse to help zooms, point of views, flight
altitude and targeting which makes is a snap to move my mouse over to the
dialogue box to accept team invites and teleports.

> and going into
> options to toggle approval on or off depending on situation is a pain.

Then perhaps my final solution is to ask everyone to turn on the TP approval
or I will not TP that particular person until they request. If they get
into a bad situation . . . oh well, they get to have some free debt and I at
least carry some awaken with me.

> This is why a lot of people prefer to leave approval off
> intentionally, relying on their teammates' politeness to TP them only
> when they're in dire straits or when they've granted their assent.

And when someone has self heal and is in no real danger yet you think he is
as his bar just went red so you TP . . . well, that would be a situation
where the option still comes into play.

--
8 Infinity Server 8
Purple Kid - Lvl 25 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy
SE-R - Lvl 21 - M - Science Blaster- Fire/Fire
Smart Hulkster - Lvl 7 - Science Tanker - Invulnerability/War Mace
Ursa Mjr - Lvl 9 - Mutant Controller - Mind Control/Storm Summoning
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:53:27 PM

"Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote:
> And when someone has self heal and is in no real danger yet you think
> he is as his bar just went red so you TP . . . well, that would be a
> situation where the option still comes into play.

When is it ever a bad thing to yank someone out of combat to a safer zone
when their bar drops into the red? They can run back to the fight quickly,
in most circumstances, and a brief break does little harm.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 20 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 11:45:25 PM

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

> "Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote:
>> And when someone has self heal and is in no real danger yet you think
>> he is as his bar just went red so you TP . . . well, that would be a
>> situation where the option still comes into play.
>
> When is it ever a bad thing to yank someone out of combat to a safer
> zone when their bar drops into the red? They can run back to the fight
> quickly, in most circumstances, and a brief break does little harm.

Well, I had this happen last night. I am a stone/BA tanker, and one of the
powers I have, Earth's Embrace, increases your health by a certain %.
However, when it does that, the first thing it oes is increase your total
health (which appears to drop your health lower, fairly rapidly) and then
increase the health you have to the new amount. Once, when I was surrounded
by a whole bunch of abominations, their vomit was taking me fairly low, and
I fired off the power. My health dropped low enough, quick enough, that it
went briefly red. The emp defender was a bit overzealous and pulled me out.
While I was trying to run back to the mob of abominations to collect the
aggro again, the scrapper who was working the perimeter got to examine the
floor for a while...

--
Marcel
Anonymous

"Marcel Beaudoin" <me@privacy.net> wrote :
> I fired off the power. My health dropped low enough, quick enough, that it
> went briefly red. The emp defender was a bit overzealous and pulled me
out.
> While I was trying to run back to the mob of abominations to collect the
> aggro again, the scrapper who was working the perimeter got to examine the
> floor for a while...

And this begs the question, why would a person not want the TP option to pop
up? Once set you won't have to touch it again unless later you want to be
TP'd without the possibilty of consenting.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:36:22 AM

"Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote in

> "Marcel Beaudoin" <me@privacy.net> wrote :
>> I fired off the power. My health dropped low enough, quick enough,
>> that it went briefly red. The emp defender was a bit overzealous and
>> pulled me out.
>> While I was trying to run back to the mob of abominations to collect
>> the aggro again, the scrapper who was working the perimeter got to
>> examine the floor for a while...
>
> And this begs the question, why would a person not want the TP option
> to pop up? Once set you won't have to touch it again unless later you
> want to be TP'd without the possibilty of consenting.

As mentioned higher up in the thread, some people play without the mouse.
For me, it is a moot point, as I do use the mouse and never have a problem
with it.

The reason why I got tp'ed that time was that, prior to the mission, I was
doing some sg stuff. Some of the SG officers were wondering just how close
to death they could let someone get before getting tp'ed out of the mob. I
volunteered to play guinea pig, so I turned off the accept/decline option.

--
Marcel
Anonymous

"Marcel Beaudoin" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> The reason why I got tp'ed that time was that, prior to the mission, I was
> doing some sg stuff. Some of the SG officers were wondering just how close
> to death they could let someone get before getting tp'ed out of the mob.

Well seeing as how you can TP someone who is taking a dirt nap, I'd say you
can TP someone who is at less than 1% health if need be.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:54:02 AM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:34:46 GMT, Hawaii_SE-R <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote:

> Sorry, didn't realize there were people out there who play CoH without using
> their mouse.

I use the mouse.

I use the mouse for *steering when I'm moving*, with mouse look. I
usually have to move around in battle, such as when I'm positioning
for a snipe shot, or when I'm getting in range to fire off an attack.
I target on enemies with tab keys, or with button 4 of my 4-button
mouse, which is bound to target_enemy_near. If a dialogue box comes
on screen, this means toggling on mouse look, finding my cursor (which
could be anywhere...sometimes it's even over on my TV set, which is
hooked into my video card as a second monitor), and clicking the
dialogue box.

Even if I had keys bound to dialogyes and no, which I probably will do
whenever I can get around to it, it would still take a split second
for me to recognize the need to click it. And given the lengthy
activation time of Recall Friend to begin with, if I need TP that
badly every wasted split second could be a split second too late.
This is why I usually keep my approval turned off, except when I'm
teamed with people whom I know to be too impolite to ask first in an
out-of-battle situation.

I mean, geez, how HARD is it to hit one single key to ask "$target,
may I teleport you?" If they're not obviously about to die, then the
five to ten seconds you wait for them to answer will not make any
difference to anything in the game. If they _are_ about to die, then
you should be porting them without asking.

--
!