This is a little complicated..

l75eya

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I've been searching all over and I just can't find the answer to the question I have, so I decided it was time to give up searching and ask it myself

I installed windows 7 on my D: drive, to see if I liked it. I do like it and I want to make it my primary operating system, but the issue is;
my previous set-up was windows xp64 on my C: drive, and another hard drive as my D: for games and so on and so forth.
I don't have anymore space to have all three hard drives (xp, games, and 7) all hooked up at once, so when I use 7 I have my C: (xp) drive hooked up, and my D: (7) drive hooked up.
I want to abandon the XP drive, and have just my 7 drive (which would become the new C:) and my games drive as my D.
I cannot do this because the boot config is on my C: (xp) drive. My 7 installation can not boot on it's own.
Is there a way I can create a boot file on my 7 drive so that it can boot on it's own, without needing my XP drive anymore?

I hope I've made this clear haha, it's a bit of a complicated issue, I'm sorry if somebody sees this and saw the answer elsewhere, I've exhausted all means of searching I can think of. Answers with links are welcome of course, and obviously any and all help is greatly appreciated!

if you have the Windows 7 dvd handy, open your case up and disconnect all of the hard drives, except for the one containing your Windows 7 install. When the computer fails to boot next time, insert your Windows 7 dvd and boot from it. Once setup loads, there will be a menu you can enter containing the Windows 7 diagnostic tools.

Run the Startup Repair wizard, and it should re-create the boot manager and set up entries for any existing Windows installs (1 in your case, with the other hard drives disconnected).

No he won't. If they were installed under Windows 7, he won't need to do anything, except change the shortcut to the games.

l75eya

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I was thinking of doing that but I don't have the physical media, I installed 7 over a my network from a laptop. Perhaps that will still work though, that's something I'll look into.
Another thing I was thinking of doing was creating an old fashioned boot disk, and then creating a small partition and putting it's contents there..
Thank you for the suggestions!

TRENDING THREADS