Know a source for CableCard error codes?

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 27, 2004 3:59:23 AM

About once a week, an error box pops up on my TV, telling me that I have
"CableCard Error 161-6" and suggests that I should contact my cable provider
about it. When I press "OK" to move forward, I find that several of my HD
channels are no longer showing. Through experience, I have found that doing
one of two things will restore the missing channels: cutting off the TV &
pulling and re-seating the CableCard and then re-starting the TV, or
resetting the CableCard via the TV menu.

So far, Time-Warner has been unable to stop this from happening. They tell
me they don't know what "Error 161-6" is. Well, there, obviously, is part
of the problem. If I knew what that error was, I might be able to point
these incompetents in the right direction.

I asked Sony via email. They gave me this answer: "We apologize for any
inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have a listing for the error code.
These codes are for the use of servicer only. We suggest that you please
consult a qualfied Sony service personnel for assistance." Hmmm.

That does not tell me if the CableCard error codes are formulated by Sony,
Scientific Atlanta that makes the card, Time-Warner that supplies the
signal, or the International CableCard Association, if there is such a
thing. Googling has not produced any information for me.

I am going to contact Sears service, that provides my extended warranty, to
see if they have a list of these error codes. And I'll keep on harrasing
Time-Warner. In the meantime, anyone have another idea?

mack
austin
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 5:20:43 AM

I'm afraid I don't have a Rosetta stone for the error codes, but I can
tell you that I've had continual problems with Time Warner Cable /
CableCard including similar error codes (in my case "161-53"). I guess
at least I'm not the only one having this problem!

I have a Mitsubishi WD-52525 and am in Milwaukee, WI. Time Warner here
has seemed equally clueless. On their first attempt to install the
CableCard, the tech was here for 2 hours before he gave up. Later
determined that the set needed a firmware upgrade. Apparently Mits
shipped these sets with old buggy firmware and then knowingly allowed
their resellers to move them without any proactive notification to the
customer leaving each of us to go though this headache and figure it out
for ourselves and then have to come to them and ask for the upgrade.

After this TW came back and was able to get the CableCard to initialize
in the set, but then the flaky behavior really began: In addition to the
161-53 error I routinely experience breaking up of picture/sound on
digital channels, and from time to time the digital channels stop
working completely. When the latter occurs, I've found that removing and
reinserting the CableCard will get them working again. No matter what I
do however, I can't get some analog channels to work by "direct entry"
but only by the up down buttons (e.g. “6; <enter>” will not work but “7;
<enter>; <chan down>” does get me to 6). In addition to being a
nuisance, this prevents the PIP from working properly with any of the
affected channels!

TW has been back back two more times and have tried two CableCards. On
the third visit I was told “its probably the SA CableCard, we have been
going through them like candy.” They also confirmed adequate signal (I
had also previously measured –60 dBm myself which seems pretty good
though I couldn't find a spec for the tuner) and they replaced a “ground
connection” outside the house. After that the digital picture breakup
seemed to be virtually eliminated for about a month but now is back as
bad as ever.

At this point I am not sure if the problem is my set (i.e. hardware),
bugs in the Mits firmware, the CableCard, or still the Time Warner
signal (e.g. distortion, time domain dispersion, etc.) I suspect it is a
combination of several of these, but I am afraid TW and Mits are going
to just point fingers at each other.

I have yet not pursued it further because I’ve been too busy to sit at
home for service calls or otherwise bird-dog Mits/TW and was hoping
similar complaints might surface on the web pointing to a systemic
problem. I would appreciate hearing from anyone else having experienced
these issues, and if I get to the bottom of it I will post a follow up...

In addition to the problems mentioned above, I have also had a situation
occur sporadically wherein I’ll press a button on the remote and the set
refuses to respond (doesn't even display the pressed digit) at all for
about 15 seconds. This one reeks of a Mits firmware bug, and I have the
general impression that Mits rushed this thing to market be the first
CableCard set out.

Regards,

-Neal

ck McKinnon wrote:

>About once a week, an error box pops up on my TV, telling me that I have
>"CableCard Error 161-6" and suggests that I should contact my cable provider
>about it. When I press "OK" to move forward, I find that several of my HD
>channels are no longer showing. Through experience, I have found that doing
>one of two things will restore the missing channels: cutting off the TV &
>pulling and re-seating the CableCard and then re-starting the TV, or
>resetting the CableCard via the TV menu.
>
>So far, Time-Warner has been unable to stop this from happening. They tell
>me they don't know what "Error 161-6" is. Well, there, obviously, is part
>of the problem. If I knew what that error was, I might be able to point
>these incompetents in the right direction.
>
>I asked Sony via email. They gave me this answer: "We apologize for any
>inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have a listing for the error code.
>These codes are for the use of servicer only. We suggest that you please
>consult a qualfied Sony service personnel for assistance." Hmmm.
>
>That does not tell me if the CableCard error codes are formulated by Sony,
>Scientific Atlanta that makes the card, Time-Warner that supplies the
>signal, or the International CableCard Association, if there is such a
>thing. Googling has not produced any information for me.
>
>I am going to contact Sears service, that provides my extended warranty, to
>see if they have a list of these error codes. And I'll keep on harrasing
>Time-Warner. In the meantime, anyone have another idea?
>
>mack
>austin

Anonymous
December 1, 2004 7:25:38 PM

Yes, that does sound as though the Mits TV set may be part of the problem.
But which part? Who the hell knows! It is unfortunately that Time-Warner
is so ignorant on these CableCard issues. From what the TW people here
have told me, I get the idea that there are problems with sets, with
CableCards, with the DNCS computer setup, with the personnel running all
this stuff, and, of course, with everyone's individual lines and couplers,
etc. -- i.e, signal to noise ratios -- so it's hell on wheels telling what
the problem is.

Makes it worse that TW, of course, wants to lay it off on anybody but them.
Even though my set, a Sony KDF -60XS955, is a brand-new 2005 upscale
model -- not the first generation of CableCard tuners from Sony -- they were
quick to put the blame there when they couldn't get the CC to work at
first -- until it turned out to be their inability to correctly program
their own computer back at TW.

I am still trying to get an explanation of the CableCard error code 161-6
(the only one I have ever gotten) out of Time-Warner. I contacted Sony via
email and they referred me to TW for the error codes, saying they didn't
have that information. (This was Sony/Bangladore I connected with, btw, so
they are just giving it to me out of the book.) I got a contact at TW here,
a supervisor in their DNCS Dept. (handles CableCard programming) but he
dropped all communication with me as soon after wiping out all the channels
we were getting for a while that we had not paid for (but, happily, didn't
want, anyway). In the process of doing that they also killed our HD
channels, except for the local affilliates, which took an hour on the phone
with Customer Service to get restored.

I wonder if these error codes are Scientific Atlanta, Time-Warner, or the
World CableCard Association (just made that one up). Someone, somewhere
must have a list of CableCard error codes! I have Googled my fingers numb
trying to find info on this subject but have not come up with anything of
consequence.

I have found two ways to fix that 161-6 CableCard error: Remove and replace
the CableCard or go to the CableCard section of the TV set menu and hit
"reset". That takes longer, though, and wipes out my pre-set channel hides,
so I probably won't use that option again.

I am also on my second SA CableCard, although nobody could tell any
difference between the two. They replaced it back in the beginning when it
was their faulty work at TW that was the actual problem. It would not
surprise me if the SA CC's were fine and the problems were at DNCS
headquarters at TW all along, everywhere.

I have also had the program I was watching go to black, no error code comes
up, but all my paid-additional HDTV channels (HBOHD, HDTV tier) + HBO SD
digital channels are all gone. Then, they come back up a few minutes later.

Most of time, though, all is well. And I am hanging in there, because the
picture using a CC is just flat better -- for HD and especially for SD --
than it is with the cable box.

If you find any source for an explanation of the CableCard error codes,
please post it here!

mack
austin

"neal seidl" <nseidl@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> >these incompetents in the right direction.
> >
> >I asked Sony via email. They gave me this answer: "We apologize for any
> >inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have a listing for the error
code.
> >These codes are for the use of servicer only. We suggest that you please
> >consult a qualfied Sony service personnel for assistance." Hmmm.
> >
> >That does not tell me if the CableCard error codes are formulated by
Sony,
> >Scientific Atlanta that makes the card, Time-Warner that supplies the
> >signal, or the International CableCard Association, if there is such a
> >thing. Googling has not produced any information for me.
> >
> >I am going to contact Sears service, that provides my extended warranty,
> >see if they have a list of these error codes. And I'll keep on harrasing
> >Time-Warner. In the meantime, anyone have another idea?

Related resources
December 3, 2004 9:56:49 PM

They are listed in the OpenCable CableCARD standard. Do a Google search on
"CableCARD 161". The second item it finds is:

http://www.opencable.com/downloads/specs/OC-SP-CC-IF-I1...

OK, maybe this isn't terribly useful to the common Joe like myself, but at
least it answers your question. :-)
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 10:10:08 PM

I did find the spec, ANSI/SCTE 28 2004 HOST-POD Interface Standard
(http://www.scte.org/documents/pdf/ANSISCTE282004.pdf)

See APPENDIX E, "POD Error Handling"

161-6 (Invalid buffer negotiation) is apparently an error caused by the
POD (CableCard). These codes have to do with low-level communications
exceptions between the host (TV set) and the CableCard so they probably
would not have any meaning to the cable operator other than that they
indicate a problem with the CableCard and so Time Warner should be passing
it on to Scientific Atlanta to get it figured out.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 6:50:27 PM

Thank you! I printed all the error codes out. I am going to print another
copy and get it to Time-Warner here in Austin, since they seem to be
clueless as to these error codes.

My response to this 161-6 error code, so far, has been to reset the CC by
pulling and re-seating it or, alternatively, by using the "reset" option via
my TV''s CC menu. I guess that's about all I can do until and unless
Scientific Atlanta fixes whatever problem it is by either upgrading the
CableCard or sending down some kind of firmware update. I can't seem to get
any feedback at all from TW on this problem, so I kind of doubt that they
will even communicate with Scientific Atlanta on this. But I will try.

For anyone else who has gotten a CC error message, the "161" just designates
that it is an error. The number that follows (in this case, "6") is the
code number of the error.

thanks again --

mack
austin