dos prompt net send text messages to XP computers on home ..

I have a small home network and send small text messages between XP
computers on the network.

I hit start then run and type in command to get the dos prompt to appear.

At the dos prompt I type net send and the name of the PC the message is
going to and then I type in a short text message. This has been great to
send messages between XP PCs but I recently added an old Windows 98 PC to
the network as well.

I can't seem to send net send messages to or from that Windows 98 PC to the
other XP PCs, so I'm wondering, is it possible to do?

Thanks a lot:)

Cheers:)

Sure is, just place your 98 machine and other machines in the same
workgroup. Network properties > Workgroup .. this should be the same for
every computer in your network be it MSHOME or HOME or MYNET, they all need
to belong to the same network.

Be aware tho, due to security reasons, the Messenger (net send) feature has
been disabled in XP SP2 by default due to a security vulnerability (SPAM)
that was discovered in 2002.
"Online Traveller" <user@server.ca> wrote in message
>I have a small home network and send small text messages between XP
> computers on the network.
>
> I hit start then run and type in command to get the dos prompt to appear.
>
> At the dos prompt I type net send and the name of the PC the message is
> going to and then I type in a short text message. This has been great to
> send messages between XP PCs but I recently added an old Windows 98 PC to
> the network as well.
>
> I can't seem to send net send messages to or from that Windows 98 PC to
> the
> other XP PCs, so I'm wondering, is it possible to do?
>
> Thanks a lot:)
>
> Cheers:)

TRENDING THREADS