log in to load Win XP?

April 27, 2005 4:01:37 AM

Previously my Win XP just booted right up onto my desktop.
Out of nowhere now when it boots up, it stops, and I have to click on my
name to
get Windows to finish loading. How can I get it back where it loads fully
without me having to click on my name or anything?

Ron Patterson

More about : log load win

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:01:38 AM

You might want to try the following:

Go to Start -> Run.
Copy and paste the following into the Open box:

control userpasswords2

Click OK.
Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer".
In the box that pops up enter your user name and
password (you can leave the password box blank if your account
does not have a password).
Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired results.
--
Nepatsfan
"Ron Patterson" <a.baba@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Previously my Win XP just booted right up onto my desktop.
> Out of nowhere now when it boots up, it stops, and I have to
> click on my name to
> get Windows to finish loading. How can I get it back where it
> loads fully
> without me having to click on my name or anything?
>
> Ron Patterson

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:01:38 AM

"Ron Patterson" wrote:

> Previously my Win XP just booted right up onto my desktop.
> Out of nowhere now when it boots up, it stops, and I have to click on my
> name to
> get Windows to finish loading. How can I get it back where it loads fully
> without me having to click on my name or anything?
>
> Ron Patterson

April 27, 2005 4:01:38 AM

"Ron Patterson" wrote:

> Previously my Win XP just booted right up onto my desktop.
> Out of nowhere now when it boots up, it stops, and I have to click on my
> name to
> get Windows to finish loading. How can I get it back where it loads fully
> without me having to click on my name or anything?
>
> Ron Patterson
>

>Ron,
Guess what? My computer started doing the same thing about two weeks ago.I
thought it was from a virus so I updated and ran a scan. Then I scanned for
spyware and had a few but did not solve the problem. Every time I leave the
computer for 10 minutes or so, the welcome screen is on again and I have to
click it again. Luckily, my stuff that I leave on is still there. I can't
figure this out either and it makes me NUTS. I've also had mine for two
years. Strange, huh? If you hear anything let me know and I will too! Thanks.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:04:37 AM

When I try this the computer will not finish booting. I have to reboot and
then I am back where I started. I have to click on my name to finish
booting up into windows.

I use NO passwords.
Any other ideas?
And why suddenly after 2 years does it suddenly require me to click my name
to load windows.
It always just booted up into Windows before?
Thanks,
Ron

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
> You might want to try the following:
>

> Go to Start -> Run.
> Copy and paste the following into the Open box:
>
> control userpasswords2
>
> Click OK.
> Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
> computer".
> In the box that pops up enter your user name and
> password (you can leave the password box blank if your account
> does not have a password).
> Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired results.
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "Ron Patterson" <a.baba@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Previously my Win XP just booted right up onto my desktop.
>> Out of nowhere now when it boots up, it stops, and I have to click on my
>> name to
>> get Windows to finish loading. How can I get it back where it loads
>> fully
>> without me having to click on my name or anything?
>>
>> Ron Patterson

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:16:37 PM

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:22:04 -0700, stormyloyt wrote:

> Every time I leave the
> computer for 10 minutes or so, the welcome screen is on again and I have to
> click it again

Check settings for Display> Screensaver: uncheck box requiring password
when resuming from standby.

Also check in Power Management for another setting requiring logon to
resume from standby.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

If this just started happening recently, you might want to look
into what's changed on your computer. New programs installed?
Updates to Windows? This type of behavior (suddenly having to
logon) usually occurs after installing the .NET framework from
the Windows update site. You can try uninstalling these recently
added programs/updates or even go so far as to use System Restore
to take your computer back to a time when you didn't have to
logon.

That said, you might want to try downloading and installing
TweakUi first:

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

TweakUi direct download
http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9...

Once it's installed, go to Start -> All Programs -> Power Toys
for Windows XP -> TweakUi.
Click on the + sign next to Logon.
Click on Autologon.
Put a check mark next to "Log on automatically at system
startup".
Make sure your user name is listed.
Click OK.

--
> When I try this the computer will not finish booting. I have
> to reboot and then I am back where I started. I have to click
> on my name to finish booting up into windows.
>
> I use NO passwords.
> Any other ideas?
> And why suddenly after 2 years does it suddenly require me to
> click my name to load windows.
> It always just booted up into Windows before?
> Thanks,
> Ron
>

> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>> You might want to try the following:
>>

>> Go to Start -> Run.
>> Copy and paste the following into the Open box:
>>
>> control userpasswords2
>>
>> Click OK.
>> Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
>> computer".
>> In the box that pops up enter your user name and
>> password (you can leave the password box blank if your account
>> does not have a password).
>> Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired
>> results.
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "Ron Patterson" <a.baba@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> Previously my Win XP just booted right up onto my desktop.
>>> Out of nowhere now when it boots up, it stops, and I have to
>>> click on my name to
>>> get Windows to finish loading. How can I get it back where
>>> it loads fully
>>> without me having to click on my name or anything?
>>>
>>> Ron Patterson

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:29:02 PM

But you are still required to enter a password to make it work in that
manner.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

> Once it's installed, go to Start -> All Programs -> Power Toys for Windows
> XP -> TweakUi.
> Click on the + sign next to Logon.
> Click on Autologon.
> Put a check mark next to "Log on automatically at system startup".
> Make sure your user name is listed.
> Click OK.

April 27, 2005 7:24:24 PM

You might want to double check on that. Both methods, control
userpasswords2 or TweakUi, work just fine for a user account that
has a blank password.

With TweakUi, when you click on Set Password make sure both
password boxes are blank. Click OK twice. Same with control
userpasswords2. When the box pops up to enter the user name you
want to log on with leave both password boxes blank.
--
Nepatsfan
"» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@gmail.com> wrote in message
> But you are still required to enter a password to make it work
> in that manner.
>
> --
> Just my 2¢ worth,
> Jeff
> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Once it's installed, go to Start -> All Programs -> Power Toys
>> for Windows XP -> TweakUi.
>> Click on the + sign next to Logon.
>> Click on Autologon.
>> Put a check mark next to "Log on automatically at system
>> startup".
>> Make sure your user name is listed.
>> Click OK.
>>
>> --

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:57:05 AM

TweakUi really messed up my computer - changed all my settings, the whole
look etc. Used System Restore to bring it back fastest way and of course it
cured the log in problem also.

Thanks all for trying to help me.

Ron Patterson
> You might want to double check on that. Both methods, control
> userpasswords2 or TweakUi, work just fine for a user account that
> has a blank password.
>
> With TweakUi, when you click on Set Password make sure both password boxes
> are blank. Click OK twice. Same with control userpasswords2. When the box
> pops up to enter the user name you want to log on with leave both password
> boxes blank.
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> But you are still required to enter a password to make it work
>> in that manner.
>>
>> --
>> Just my 2¢ worth,
>> Jeff
>> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Once it's installed, go to Start -> All Programs -> Power Toys
>>> for Windows XP -> TweakUi.
>>> Click on the + sign next to Logon.
>>> Click on Autologon.
>>> Put a check mark next to "Log on automatically at system
>>> startup".
>>> Make sure your user name is listed.
>>> Click OK.
>>>
>>> --

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:35:56 PM

ok - here is how I fixed this problem.

#1 - I determined that installation of new HP printer software created the
problem
#2 I verified this by using system restore to go back before this
installation and the problem
was not there.
#3 I reinstalled printer software and sure enough it changed the way my
computer booted
requiring me to click my name to get to desktop instead of going there
automatically
#4 I went to Start - Run - and typed - change userpasswords2 - and
then removed the check
mark from "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."
#5 - When I hit apply a new window popped up - "Automatically Log On" and
I changed the user from
Administrator to "my name" and hit OK and OK and rebooted (I do not use a
password).
Now it boots up like before without me having to click my name.

Note - if you leave administrator in the box that comes up, it will reboot
to Windows default
without all your user settings and will be a strange beast.

Thanking all for trying to help
Ron Patterson

> TweakUi really messed up my computer - changed all my settings, the
> whole look etc. Used System Restore to bring it back fastest way and of
> course it cured the log in problem also.
>
> Thanks all for trying to help me.
>
> Ron Patterson
> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>> You might want to double check on that. Both methods, control
>> userpasswords2 or TweakUi, work just fine for a user account that
>> has a blank password.
>>
>> With TweakUi, when you click on Set Password make sure both password
>> boxes are blank. Click OK twice. Same with control userpasswords2. When
>> the box pops up to enter the user name you want to log on with leave both
>> password boxes blank.
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> But you are still required to enter a password to make it work
>>> in that manner.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Just my 2¢ worth,
>>> Jeff
>>> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:35:57 PM

Glad to hear you've got that fixed. Thanks for the feedback.

--

!