dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Hello,

I build my own pc's and have recently ordered the Vista Home Premium Full DVD.

I currently have a evga 7800GT Video Card but will probably be wanting to replace it with a DirectX 10 card in the next few months.

I have read that Microsoft will only give you two activations before requireing you to buy another license.

My question is if I install Vista now and change out the video card in the next month or two will that cause me to use my second activation?

paulpod

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Vista is supposed to be more intelligent at determining whether it is running on a new computer. With a full license, you should be able to do a lot of upgrading move to a new computer and do a lot more upgrading.

Even in XP OEM version, any number of graphics card changes only cost you 1 of the 10 possible votes where dropping below 7 caused a reactivation.

Hopefully a program like XPinfo.exe will be available for Vista to let you know your exact standing.

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Hello,

You seem pretty sure of your response to my question in the forum about reactivation. In the past, I have moved my Windows XP Home Upgrade to several new hardware systems which required calling Microsoft for a new key to reactivate it. I have never had a problem doing this.

In the past few weeks I have been reading things that indicated Microsoft had changed things with Vista. I had initially ordered Vista Home Premium Upgrade but cancellled it when I read that it couldn't be installed clean on a new HD without first reinstalling XP and then installing from within XP. I then read that someone found a workaround for this by simply using the Vista Home Premium Upgrade DVD and initally not entering the product key and when finished, doing a second install from within Vista and this time using the product key. Then a few days later, I read the microsoft had fixed this method of installing Vista so I just decided to pay the extra money for a retail full install which I have coming to me from Amazon.

You seem pretty sure of yourself when you said I'd be able to move my license to a new computer as many times as I wanted to. Can you please tell me why you are so sure? This is why I ordered this and would probably want to reinstall it on more the two new computers before Vista is replaced by a new operating system in the future and I would hope I would not have to buy another license.

Digitalfiends

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
I PMed you my response. For everyone else:

Microsoft's Licensing Agreement for Vista:

http://download.microsoft.com/documents/useterms/Windows%20Vista_Ultimate_English_36d0fe99-75e4-4875-8153-889cf5105718.pdf

The important sections are:

15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.
a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may uninstall the software and
install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between
devices.

This allows you to reassign to a "new" computer, as long as you uninstall it from any others.

Activation associates the use of the software with a specific device. During activation, the software
will send information about the software and the device to Microsoft. This information includes the
version, language and product key of the software, the Internet protocol address of the device, and
information derived from the hardware configuration of the device. For more information, see
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=69497. By using the software, you consent to the
transmission of this information. Before you activate, you have the right to use the version of the
software installed during the installation process. Your right to use the software after the time
specified in the installation process is limited unless it is activated. This is to prevent its unlicensed
use. You will not be able to continue using the software after that time if you do not
activate it. If the device is connected to the Internet, the software may automatically connect to
Microsoft for activation. You can also activate the software manually by Internet or telephone. If
you do so, Internet and telephone service charges may apply. Some changes to your computer
components or the software may require you to reactivate the software. The software will
remind you to activate it until you do.

There is nothing in the agreement that states you have a limited number of activations. This applies to the retail licenses only. I believe the OEM version have a restriction that states they can only be used on that device.

Hope that helps.

Yodan4

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Over on the Anandtech forums there are quite a few posts that describe what causes reactivation. Some of the causes were minor like: Overclocking a CPU, Changing a hard drive, or Installing a program. Microsoft says that Vista is more tolerant than XP regarding hardware changes. Although, they haven't specifically described what changes will cause reactivation. There is much speculation, yet to be admitted by Microsoft, that Vista has a reactivation bug that needs patched. :?

Digitalfiends

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Over on the Anandtech forums there are quite a few posts that describe what causes reactivation. Some of the causes were minor like: Overclocking a CPU

BS. I've overclocked my Athlon to 2.5GHz, after I installed Vista. No reactivation.

, Changing a hard drive, or Installing a program.

BS and more BS. I've swapped out three harddrives since I've had Vista and guess what, no reactivation. I've installed a crap load of software on my machine and no reactivation.

I will never understand why people spout hearsay as fact when they have no clue of what they are talking about (referring to people on Anandtech, not specifically you.) Perhaps the OEM version might be locked to a single machine but anything you buy in the store is not and those "causes" for reactivation are utter crap.

Yodan4

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Hey man....Cool down. I am only reporting what numerous others have posted. If you don't trust posts then why do you post here? Anyway I am glad you haven't had to activate after hardware changes. That gives me hope that I won't have the problem because I update my system often.
ps..sorry for the double post

Digitalfiends

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Hey man....Cool down. I am only reporting what numerous others have posted. If you don't trust posts then why do you post here? Anyway I am glad you haven't had to activate after hardware changes. That gives me hope that I won't have the problem because I update my system often.
ps..sorry for the double post

As I said I wasn't attacking you, just the "facts" that people seem to spread around here without actual proof. It's the spread of misinformation that drives me nuts. No one takes the time to actually verify anything anymore. Most of the people complaining about Vista are going by their beta impression, pirated copies, or hearsay.

Sorry if I came on a little strongly, but I deal with people spreading misinformation in my job everyday (which makes my job much more difficult when trying to propose a particular software architecture.) It's very annoying. :?

tech4808

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I installed Vista on my second H.D. with XP on my primary. After deciding to totally switch to Vista, I installed it on my primary H.D. (neither drive was removed from the system, or any hardware changes), and Vista made me call to activate it!

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I installed Vista on my second H.D. with XP on my primary. After deciding to totally switch to Vista, I installed it on my primary H.D. (neither drive was removed from the system, or any hardware changes), and Vista made me call to activate it!

I had installed it on my primary drive and due to issues with restoring my data (with the Easy Transfer wizard) I had to install the OS on my backup drive. After everything went ok with the restore I had re-installed it on my primary drive (never mind why I had to reinstall...long story). Anyway I went through 3 installs with an OEM version and everytime it activated on it's own with no issues.

tech4808

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Perhaps my last post didn't make sense... I had to call M$ to activate windows after installing it on a different H.D. that was already in my system. Never had a problem doing this with XP. Nothing had changed on my system.

Digitalfiends

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Perhaps my last post didn't make sense... I had to call M$ to activate windows after installing it on a different H.D. that was already in my system. Never had a problem doing this with XP. Nothing had changed on my system.

Ah OK. That is weird. I've never had to call them for swapping stuff like that. You're right, that would be annoying.

tech4808

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Yeah, it was annoying considering it took about 30 mins to do (20 mins of being on hold).

The worst part was, when I had to tell the automated system my activation codes, which then said wasn't valid (although it repeated my codes correctly), more holding, then had to repeat the same thing with a person...

Yodan4

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
So it seems there are inconsistencies regarding when or why Microsoft requires a call to reactivate. I would like to know what determines the need to call. Soon I plan on uninstalling Vista from one drive and reinstalling it on a new SATAII drive. My copy is Legitimate but I just would like to avoid the hassel of calling....Oh well what will be will be.
P.S. tech4808..Is your copy oem or retail?

TRENDING THREADS