re-enable task manager

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

somehow task manager has been disabled on a local account (xp home) when i
press ctrl+alt+del the task manager is greyed out; how do i re-enable task
manager?
10 answers Last reply
More about enable task manager
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Go to this page and try #51 from the right column. Click on "enable the task
    manager."
    Enable Enable the Task Manager - Disable Task Manager
    "(ProteanThread)" <reply@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
    > somehow task manager has been disabled on a local account (xp home) when i
    > press ctrl+alt+del the task manager is greyed out; how do i re-enable task
    > manager?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Do you get the error message: "Task Manager has been disabled by your
    administrator"?

    See if Doug Knox' utility will help you --
    Enable/Disable Task Manager:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "(ProteanThread)" <reply@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
    > somehow task manager has been disabled on a local account (xp home) when i
    > press ctrl+alt+del the task manager is greyed out; how do i re-enable task
    > manager?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    That's weird 'cause that's just happened to me aswell,and I got no joy from
    winxp home help files, but eventually went to kellys korner and sorted it
    from there.

    Has anyone else had the same happen just recently?
    Could it have been caused by a MS update??

    --
    Regards
    p.mc

    For personal replies please leave or type signature
    "p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
    posts will not be received.
    Thanks

    > Do you get the error message: "Task Manager has been disabled by your
    > administrator"?
    >
    > See if Doug Knox' utility will help you --
    > Enable/Disable Task Manager:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "(ProteanThread)" <reply@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
    > > somehow task manager has been disabled on a local account (xp home) when
    > > press ctrl+alt+del the task manager is greyed out; how do i re-enable
    task
    > > manager?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    There has been more of this Task Manager problem in the last week, so it
    may have resulted from the Update. Glad you got it sorted.

    "p.mc" <sigadd1to reply@btintershite.com> wrote in message
    > That's weird 'cause that's just happened to me aswell,and I got no joy
    from
    > winxp home help files, but eventually went to kellys korner and sorted it
    > from there.
    >
    > Has anyone else had the same happen just recently?
    > Could it have been caused by a MS update??
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > p.mc
    >
    > For personal replies please leave or type signature
    > "p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
    > posts will not be received.
    > Thanks

    > > Do you get the error message: "Task Manager has been disabled by your
    > > administrator"?
    > >
    > > See if Doug Knox' utility will help you --
    > > Enable/Disable Task Manager:
    > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "(ProteanThread)" <reply@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
    > > > somehow task manager has been disabled on a local account (xp home)
    when
    > > > press ctrl+alt+del the task manager is greyed out; how do i re-enable
    > task
    > > > manager?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    No doubt Kelly's fix is the same as Doug's.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "p.mc" <sigadd1to reply@btintershite.com> wrote in message
    > That's weird 'cause that's just happened to me aswell,and I got no joy from
    > winxp home help files, but eventually went to kellys korner and sorted it
    > from there.
    >
    > Has anyone else had the same happen just recently?
    > Could it have been caused by a MS update??
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > p.mc
    >
    > For personal replies please leave or type signature
    > "p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
    > posts will not be received.
    > Thanks

    > > Do you get the error message: "Task Manager has been disabled by your
    > > administrator"?
    > >
    > > See if Doug Knox' utility will help you --
    > > Enable/Disable Task Manager:
    > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "(ProteanThread)" <reply@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
    > > > somehow task manager has been disabled on a local account (xp home) when
    > > > press ctrl+alt+del the task manager is greyed out; how do i re-enable
    > task
    > > > manager?

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "p.mc" <sigadd1to reply@btintershite.com> wrote in message
    > That's weird 'cause that's just happened to me aswell,and I got no joy
    > from
    > winxp home help files, but eventually went to kellys korner and sorted
    > it
    > from there.
    >
    > Has anyone else had the same happen just recently?
    > Could it have been caused by a MS update??

    Can be caused by malware, scan your system with some free programs.

    Spybot - search and destroy

    Adaware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

    Housecall

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    --
    William
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in news:uOtAkitSFHA.244
    @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

    > "p.mc" <sigadd1to reply@btintershite.com> wrote in message
    >> That's weird 'cause that's just happened to me aswell,and I got no joy
    >> from
    >> winxp home help files, but eventually went to kellys korner and sorted
    >> it
    >> from there.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else had the same happen just recently?
    >> Could it have been caused by a MS update??
    >>

    > Can be caused by malware, scan your system with some free programs.
    >
    > Spybot - search and destroy
    >
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    >

    > Adaware SE
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
    >

    > Housecall
    >
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    system came up clean; weird. but its working now. thanks.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    This is usually caused by malware / viruses. Try Trend Micro's Sysclean
    package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full
    instructions at:

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    Trend Micro Sysclean package
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "p.mc" <sigadd1to reply@btintershite.com> wrote in message
    > That's weird 'cause that's just happened to me aswell,and I got no joy
    > from
    > winxp home help files, but eventually went to kellys korner and sorted it
    > from there.
    >
    > Has anyone else had the same happen just recently?
    > Could it have been caused by a MS update??
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > p.mc
    >
    > For personal replies please leave or type signature
    > "p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
    > posts will not be received.
    > Thanks

    >> Do you get the error message: "Task Manager has been disabled by your
    >> administrator"?
    >>
    >> See if Doug Knox' utility will help you --
    >> Enable/Disable Task Manager:
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm
    >> --
    >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >>

    >> "(ProteanThread)" <reply@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
    >> > somehow task manager has been disabled on a local account (xp home)
    >> > when
    >> > press ctrl+alt+del the task manager is greyed out; how do i re-enable
    > task
    >> > manager?

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "glee" wrote:

    > Do you get the error message: "Task Manager has been disabled by your
    > administrator"?
    >
    > See if Doug Knox' utility will help you --
    > Enable/Disable Task Manager:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "(ProteanThread)" <reply@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
    > > somehow task manager has been disabled on a local account (xp home) when i
    > > press ctrl+alt+del the task manager is greyed out; how do i re-enable task
    > > manager?
    >
    > i can't thank you enought for the info to assist with my problem , i was extremely perplexed to discover my task manager disabled considering the prompt was informing me (the administrator) of an action i did not perform, i was concerned my system had been compromised by a hacker or a virus. THANK YOU VERY MUCH
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    This is usually done by some type of malware (virus, spyware, etc.) to make it more difficult to remove. I tried to reply to your feedback from my site, but you used a munged e-mail address.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "braintwust" <braintwust@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C6CB1F2-DFA8-494D-8C4C-641C741AF8BD@microsoft.com...

    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    >> Do you get the error message: "Task Manager has been disabled by your
    >> administrator"?
    >>
    >> See if Doug Knox' utility will help you --
    >> Enable/Disable Task Manager:
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm
    >> --
    >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >>

    >> "(ProteanThread)" <reply@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
    >> > somehow task manager has been disabled on a local account (xp home) when i
    >> > press ctrl+alt+del the task manager is greyed out; how do i re-enable task
    >> > manager?
    >>
    >> i can't thank you enought for the info to assist with my problem , i was extremely perplexed to discover my task manager disabled considering the prompt was informing me (the administrator) of an action i did not perform, i was concerned my system had been compromised by a hacker or a virus. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP