Why Israeli Engineers Saved Intel

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
April 25, 2007 3:55:47 PM

It occurred to me the other day.

In Israel, folks had to do more with less.

It was a life and death matter. Literally.

The small nation, surrounded by much larger enemies backed with oil wealth, absolutely, necessarily had to make more with less to survive.

I think this is why the Israeli Intel engineers developed the Pentium M, which was far and away the best Intel chip, and competitive to the best AMD chips in 2005, IMO.

Of course, the Pentium M was the father of the Core2Duo, it's direct descendant.

This culture of doing more with less is critically important for the success of a modern chip company, and AMD would do well to take that lesson to heart. Fortunately to AMD, Texas itself has plenty of engineers that grew up making do also, and probably AMD has hired a few. Will it listen to them?

More about : israeli engineers saved intel

April 25, 2007 4:05:30 PM

Quote:

The small nation, surrounded by much larger enemies backed with oil wealth, absolutely, necessarily had to make more with less to survive.

I think this is why the Israeli Intel engineers developed the Pentium M, which was far and away the best Intel chip, and competitive to the best AMD chips in 2005, IMO.

Of course, the Pentium M was the father of the Core2Duo, it's direct descendant.

This culture of doing more with less is critically important for the success of a modern chip company, and AMD would do well to take that lesson to heart. Fortunately to AMD, Texas itself has plenty of engineers that grew up making do also, and probably AMD has hired a few. Will it listen to them?

if that's the case, then i would suggest Intel to hire from India or China. their lives are even worse. earning at less than 1 dollar per hour, they're also trained to do more with less. :p 
April 25, 2007 4:08:30 PM

Trying to impose cultural aspects upon technical applications is a poor, poor "science."
Related resources
April 25, 2007 4:11:37 PM

this has been discussed here before
April 25, 2007 4:12:12 PM

Quote:

Forget Israel! Even better, AMD should hire a flock of arctic terns. Those poor saps have to breed in arctic and sub arctic regions and migrate nearly twenty thousand kilometers. That's REALLY doing more with less.

They'd probably be more competent engineers than what AMD currently has anyway
April 25, 2007 4:13:12 PM

Quote:

Nice "theory". :roll: Do you actually think that the Israel engineers proceeded to work on this product, without the go-ahead from corporate? I guess, next you'll tell me that the Merom/Kentsfield/Conroe lineup is more dust/dirt resistant too...because of the sand/deserts...and is bulletproof/roadside-bomb proof as well. :x Do you lay in bed, trying to think of ideas for starting threads? Take some Ambiem, get a good-nights sleep, and quit clogging up the forumz with your off-the-wall sillyness.
April 25, 2007 4:14:24 PM

Quote:
They'd probably be more competent engineers than what AMD currently has anyway

They're some of the best engineers in the world. Not sure why you're knocking them.
April 25, 2007 4:15:44 PM

lol yeah that was a joke. The whole post was, if you didn't get it after the arctic tern bit.
April 25, 2007 4:28:41 PM

Quote:
lol yeah that was a joke. The whole post was, if you didn't get it after the arctic tern bit.

I knew that part was a joke, 8)
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2007 4:31:17 PM

Quote:

Umm Israel is funded by the United States of America and The U.K. A large part of Israel's economy stems from the rather large the powerful lobby groups they have in the USA.

Israelies don't do more with less, they have all the wealth and financial backing of a country 5 times their size.
April 25, 2007 4:34:32 PM

Quote:

if that's the case, then i would suggest Intel to hire from India or China. their lives are even worse. earning at less than 1 dollar per hour, they're also trained to do more with less. :p 

Good point. I thought of that after I posted also. Of course, in a culture, there is real effects on thinking, and different cultures do tend to create different mindsets. It would be interesting to learn more about the Chinese mindset, which is in flux.
April 25, 2007 4:35:59 PM

Quote:

Umm Israel is funded by the United States of America and The U.K. A large part of Israel's economy stems from the rather large the powerful lobby groups they have in the USA.

Israelies don't do more with less, they have all the wealth and financial backing of a country 5 times their size.

That's partly true, in the obvious things like F-16s, etc., and also it's partly false, in that the support (around $5-6B/yr) hasn't been nearly enough to make Israel rich in itself. Israel is a culture of people that have had to make do, and often in difficult and demanding situations.
April 25, 2007 4:36:01 PM

Quote:
Trying to impose cultural aspects upon technical applications is a poor, poor "science."

QFT :trophy:
April 25, 2007 4:36:23 PM

This is laughable. I love the secret code for "Israeli engineers" at the end.

<wistfully> Will they listen to them? </wistfully> Guffaw.
April 25, 2007 4:39:15 PM

How many of those engineers trained in the US? I bet most...
April 25, 2007 4:39:46 PM

Quote:

I'd agree. That observation certainly isn't science! :-)

But culture is an actual thing that affects thinking, IMO. You can disagree, and it's interesting to talk about, if you wish.
April 25, 2007 4:42:28 PM

Quote:
How many of those engineers trained in the US? I bet most...

I'd bet so. And I think their country of origin affects their thinking greatly. It's not either/or, it's both/and.
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2007 4:58:39 PM

Quote:

This has to be the biggest load of crap I've read in a long, long time and reaches deep and hard into the anus of Intel fanboy conspiracy theories.
April 25, 2007 5:31:52 PM

Quote:

And the land of milk and honey, which, until they came in glorious effecient conquest and stole it, was in the possession of the Palestinians. I guess they been really hard done by.

Maybe Intel should have gone to the country next door to see "hardship" and "having to make do"?
April 25, 2007 5:38:57 PM

No such thing as Israel.
April 25, 2007 5:44:08 PM

No such thing as Palestine.
April 25, 2007 5:46:27 PM

Quote:
This isn't the first article I read on it, but a casual internet search will educate those who don't know much about the origin of the C2duo.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/28685/113/

I think most of us know the general origin of the C2D. What we're saying is that the success of the C2D wasn't created by the social and political situation in Israel.
April 25, 2007 6:00:06 PM

Who wouldn't agree with that??
April 25, 2007 6:02:07 PM

Israelis saved Intel, but who will save AMD?
April 25, 2007 6:07:44 PM

Well said,although the plot only thickens 8O .
April 25, 2007 6:08:37 PM

:-) Well, the consumers (including the IT techies) will determine the fate of the chip companies.
April 25, 2007 6:12:11 PM

So hardship=innovation. NONSENSE.

The Jewish people have produced great scientists and engineers long before the founding of the Israeli state, and as stated before, if your postulate holds true surely the Aborigines would have walked on the moon by now.

I also suggest that Israel has far more dough/firepower and is more aggressive than any of "the larger enemies" that surround em - they've got the bomb, mossad and shin bet fer chrissakes!
April 25, 2007 6:19:37 PM

Actually, My OP says Israelis created electricity, right?
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2007 6:20:39 PM

Quote:

That's partly true, in the obvious things like F-16s, etc., and also it's partly false, in that the support (around $5-6B/yr) hasn't been nearly enough to make Israel rich in itself. Israel is a culture of people that have had to make do, and often in difficult and demanding situations.

Lobby groups man. Israel owns most media businesses in the USA (or Israelis do). Save for Newscorp every other major News agency in the USA is owned by an Israeli citizen.

Hollywood is also pretty much under their control and a LOT of money is donated thru Charities for Israel from the likes of Steven Spielberg etc.

Israel is by no means a poor nation. In many respects it's richer then Canada and Mexico combined.

There are also other aid funds from the U.N. that help out Israel. Israel forms a VERY strategic and important ally of WEstern Nations. Now more then ever.
April 25, 2007 6:23:44 PM

Quote:
This culture of doing more with less is critically important for the success of a modern chip company, and AMD would do well to take that lesson to heart.

How much money does Intel pour into R&D compared to AMD? If anything it's AMD who does more with less.
April 25, 2007 6:30:23 PM

It's an interesting question whether Israel is an important ally of the West, or the US. Personally, I think the US is aiding only because of the biblical connection ideas from protestant American religious folks. So far as the pragmatic effects of Israel as an ally, we'd be better off without it, IMO, because Israel brings a lot of hatred down on US without much benefits in return, IMO. But consider, I rather the US had no troops overseas at all. I don't think foreign entanglements ever benefit us. This is a complex question, and I guess you can PM me for more discussion if you want.

Re the chip side of it: I'm saying is that the Israeli engineers engineered the salvation of Intel. I didn't say that Israeli culture saved Intel, for those that didn't get the distinction.
April 25, 2007 6:33:22 PM

***halbhh *** maybe your right :) 
JUST some info .........

The Pentium MMX Chip technology was designed in Israel at Intel.

Israel has the highest percentage in the world of home computers per capita.

Most of the Windows NT operating system was developed by Microsoft-Israel.

The cell phone was developed in Israel by Motorola, which has its largest development center in Israel.

Israel has the highest ratio of university degrees to the population in the world.

Voice mail technology was developed in Israel.

Israel produces more scientific papers per capita than any other nation by a large margin - 109 per 10,000 people - as well as one of the highest per capita rates of patents filed.

Israel is ranked #2 in the world for venture capital funds right behind the US.

Outside the United States and Canada, Israel has the largest number of NASDAQ listed companies.

Israel has the highest average living standards in the Middle East. The per capita income in 2000 was over $17,500, exceeding that of the UK.

With an aerial arsenal of over 250 F-16s, Israel has the largest fleet of the aircraft outside of the US.

Israel's $100 billion economy is larger than all of its immediate neighbors combined.

On a per capita basis, Israel has the largest number of biotech start-ups.

Twenty-four percent of Israel's workforce holds university degrees - ranking third in the industrialized world, after the United States and Holland - and 12 percent hold advanced degrees.

Israel is the only liberal democracy in the Middle East.

When the U. S. Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya was bombed in 1998, Israeli rescue teams were on the scene within a day - and saved three victims from the rubble.

Relative to its population, Israel is the largest immigrant-absorbing nation on earth. Immigrants come in search of democracy, religious freedom, and economic opportunity.

Israel was the first nation in the world to adopt the Kimberly process, an international standard that certifies diamonds as "conflict free."

According to industry officials, Israel designed the airline industry's most impenetrable flight security. U. S. officials now look to Israel for advice on how to handle airborne security threats.

Israel has the world's second highest per capita of new books.

Israel is the only country in the world that entered the 21st century with a net gain in its number of trees, made more remarkable because this was achieved in an area considered mainly desert.

Israel has more museums per capita than any other country.

Medicine... Israeli scientists developed the first fully computerized,no-radiation, diagnostic instrumentation for breast cancer.

An Israeli company developed a computerized system for ensuring proper

administration of medications, thus removing human error from medical treatment. Every year in U. S. hospitals 7,000 patients die from treatment mistakes.

Israel's Givun imaging developed the first ingestible video camera, so small it fits inside a pill. Used to view the small intestine from the inside, the camera helps doctors diagnose cancer and digestive disorders.

Researchers in Israel developed a new device that directly helps the heart pump blood, an innovation with the potential to save lives among those with heart failure. The new device is synchronized with the heart's mechanical operations through a sophisticated system of sensors.

Technology... With more than 3,000 high-tech companies and start-ups, Israel has the highest concentration of hi-tech companies in the world (apart from the Silicon Valley).

In response to serious water shortages, Israeli engineers and agriculturalists developed a revolutionary drip irrigation system to minimize the amount of water used to grow crops.

Israel leads the world in the number of scientists and technicians in the workforce, with 145 per 10,000, as opposed to 85 in the U. S., over 70 in Japan, and less than 60 in Germany. With over 25% of its work force employed in technical professions. Israel places first in this category as well.

The AOL Instant Messenger was developed in 1996 by four young Israelis.

A new acne treatment developed in Israel, the ClearLight device,produces a high-intensity, ultraviolet-light-free, narrow-band blue light that causes acne bacteria to self-destruct - all without damaging surroundings skin or tissue.

An Israeli company was the first to develop and install a large-scale solar-powered and fully functional electricity generating plant, in southern California's Mojave desert."
April 25, 2007 6:34:45 PM

Quote:
This culture of doing more with less is critically important for the success of a modern chip company, and AMD would do well to take that lesson to heart.

How much money does Intel pour into R&D compared to AMD? If anything it's AMD who does more with less.

Very good point!
April 25, 2007 6:42:17 PM

Quote:
***halbhh *** maybe your right :) 
JUST some info .........

The Pentium MMX Chip technology was designed in Israel at Intel.

Israel has the highest percentage in the world of home computers per capita.

Most of the Windows NT operating system was developed by Microsoft-Israel.

The cell phone was developed in Israel by Motorola, which has its largest development center in Israel.

Israel has the highest ratio of university degrees to the population in the world.

Voice mail technology was developed in Israel.

Israel produces more scientific papers per capita than any other nation by a large margin - 109 per 10,000 people - as well as one of the highest per capita rates of patents filed.

Israel is ranked #2 in the world for venture capital funds right behind the US.

Outside the United States and Canada, Israel has the largest number of NASDAQ listed companies.

Israel has the highest average living standards in the Middle East. The per capita income in 2000 was over $17,500, exceeding that of the UK.

With an aerial arsenal of over 250 F-16s, Israel has the largest fleet of the aircraft outside of the US.

Israel's $100 billion economy is larger than all of its immediate neighbors combined.

On a per capita basis, Israel has the largest number of biotech start-ups.

Twenty-four percent of Israel's workforce holds university degrees - ranking third in the industrialized world, after the United States and Holland - and 12 percent hold advanced degrees.

Israel is the only liberal democracy in the Middle East.

When the U. S. Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya was bombed in 1998, Israeli rescue teams were on the scene within a day - and saved three victims from the rubble.

Relative to its population, Israel is the largest immigrant-absorbing nation on earth. Immigrants come in search of democracy, religious freedom, and economic opportunity.

Israel was the first nation in the world to adopt the Kimberly process, an international standard that certifies diamonds as "conflict free."

According to industry officials, Israel designed the airline industry's most impenetrable flight security. U. S. officials now look to Israel for advice on how to handle airborne security threats.

Israel has the world's second highest per capita of new books.

Israel is the only country in the world that entered the 21st century with a net gain in its number of trees, made more remarkable because this was achieved in an area considered mainly desert.

Israel has more museums per capita than any other country.

Medicine... Israeli scientists developed the first fully computerized,no-radiation, diagnostic instrumentation for breast cancer.

An Israeli company developed a computerized system for ensuring proper

administration of medications, thus removing human error from medical treatment. Every year in U. S. hospitals 7,000 patients die from treatment mistakes.

Israel's Givun imaging developed the first ingestible video camera, so small it fits inside a pill. Used to view the small intestine from the inside, the camera helps doctors diagnose cancer and digestive disorders.

Researchers in Israel developed a new device that directly helps the heart pump blood, an innovation with the potential to save lives among those with heart failure. The new device is synchronized with the heart's mechanical operations through a sophisticated system of sensors.

Technology... With more than 3,000 high-tech companies and start-ups, Israel has the highest concentration of hi-tech companies in the world (apart from the Silicon Valley).

In response to serious water shortages, Israeli engineers and agriculturalists developed a revolutionary drip irrigation system to minimize the amount of water used to grow crops.

Israel leads the world in the number of scientists and technicians in the workforce, with 145 per 10,000, as opposed to 85 in the U. S., over 70 in Japan, and less than 60 in Germany. With over 25% of its work force employed in technical professions. Israel places first in this category as well.

The AOL Instant Messenger was developed in 1996 by four young Israelis.

A new acne treatment developed in Israel, the ClearLight device,produces a high-intensity, ultraviolet-light-free, narrow-band blue light that causes acne bacteria to self-destruct - all without damaging surroundings skin or tissue.

An Israeli company was the first to develop and install a large-scale solar-powered and fully functional electricity generating plant, in southern California's Mojave desert."

I'm impressed all right. :o 
April 25, 2007 6:56:56 PM

Quote:

http://www.ifamericansknew.org/cur_sit/water.html

Quote:
* Three million West Bank Palestinians use only 250 million cubic meters per year (83 cubic meters per Palestinian per year) while six million Israelis enjoy the use of 1,954 million cubic meters (333 cubic meters per Israeli per year), which means that each Israeli consumes as much water as four Palestinians. Israeli settlers are allocated 1,450 cubic meters of water per person per year.
* Israel consumes the vast majority of the water from the Jordan River despite only 3% of the river falling within its pre-1967 borders. Israel now diverts one quarter of its total water consumption through its National Water Carrier from the Jordan River, whereas Palestinians have no access to it whatsoever due to Israeli closures.

“There is no reason for Palestinians to claim that just because they sit on lands, they have the rights to that water.”

– Mr. Katz-Oz, Israel’s negotiator on water issues [1]
April 25, 2007 7:03:48 PM

LOL
you take 1 thing out that the isralies done wrong but ignore the millions of things they did to help the world.... get a life or better yet get me a list of things that the arabs done for the world besides killing them.
Dont start something you will lose :twisted:
April 25, 2007 7:08:30 PM

Quote:
Israelis saved Intel, but who will save AMD?

easy. Morgan Stanley :twisted:
April 25, 2007 7:11:20 PM

Quote:
LOL
you take 1 thing out that the isralies done wrong but ignore the millions of things they did to help the world.... get a life or better yet get me a list of things that the arabs done for the world besides killing them.

"Arab contributions to mathematics and the introduction of the Zero
Regional, Science, 4/22/1998

Arab contributions to human civilization are noteworthy. In arithmetic the style of writing digits from right to left is an evidence of its Arab origin. For instance, the numeral for five hundred in English should be written as 005, not as 500 according to English's left-to-right reading style.

Another invention that revolutionized mathematics was the introduction of the number zero by Muhammad Bin Ahmad in 967 AD. Zero was introduced in the West as late as the beginning of the thirteenth century. Modern society takes the invention of the zero for granted, yet the Zero is a non-trivial concept, that allowed major mathematical breakthroughs.

Arab civilizations also made a great contribution to fractions and to the principle of errors, which is employed to solve Algebra problems arithmetically.

Concerning Algebra, al-Khawarzmi is credited with the first treatise. He solved Algebra equations of the first and second degree (known as quadratic equations, and are are prevelant in science and engineering) and also introduced the geometrical method of solving these equations.

He also recognized that quadratic equations have two roots. His method was continued by Thabet Bin Qura, the translator of Ptolemy's works who developed Algebra and first realized application in geometry. By the 11th century the Arabs had founded, developed and perfected geometrical algebra and could solve equations of the third and fourth degree.

Another outstanding Arab mathematician is Abul Wafa who created and successfully developed a branch of geometry which consists of problems leading to equations in Algebra of a higher degree than the second. He made a number of valuable contributions to polyhedral theory."

So without arabs we wouldnt have computers as there'd be no zero.

edit fer typos
April 25, 2007 7:19:21 PM

*Can just feel the headache coming on*
April 25, 2007 7:22:57 PM

First is your name ARM? NO! was i talking to you? NO!
This is not the time or place for politics.
"zero" wow, well i knew a arab would work that 1 out sooner or later. rlol

DaSickNinja ..............LOL
dont worry it ends here, i cant be bothered with some people.
April 25, 2007 7:43:24 PM

Let's stop the Israel vs Palenstine/Arabs discussion please.

The original OP of this thread was kinda interesting I thought!
April 25, 2007 7:44:21 PM

I just noticed you are based in Israel, so that explains that.

The Romans never had any comprehension of zero in terms of mathematics, so yes, that is an incredible discovery.

I'm sure you could find thousands of things which Arabs have done, both good and bad, similarly the Israelis. Then again, why compare a race to one country?

I disagree with the way that Western governments are so pro-Israel.

Besides, you would give the impression that the Israelis are benevolent demi-gods, which they are not, nobody is. Needs some balancing; the Israelis have done some pretty nasty things, hell, their founding was evil

Lastly, I doubt that a lot of the things you attribute to Israel are created soly by them.

Whatever. Have your patriotism, I won't look in this thread anymore.
April 25, 2007 7:47:02 PM

Ok, the short answer: no.

Having to make do would not make you better at making effcient chips; why the hell should it?

Bye bye
April 25, 2007 7:48:22 PM

Quote:
Let's stop the Israel vs Palenstine/Arabs discussion please.

Vehemently in agreement! Every country has contributed something to the world. Even Canada! We invented the zipper, imagine if all you poor sods still had to button up your flys. :?
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2007 7:50:57 PM

Quote:
LOL

Reported!

That's clearly racist, prejudice and totally un-acceptable. Place your zionistic beliefs aside as Tomshardware is no place for hatred!

I have Jewish and Iraqi friends. Neither advocate death but both acknowlegde that neither side holds moral authority over the other.

I think you need to apologize.
April 25, 2007 8:00:33 PM

I've changed the OP title to be more precise. It'd be nice to hear discussion on the topic:

Was the make-do-with-less, do-or-die background of Intel's Israeli engineering group a major factor in the subsequent salvation of Intel by the Pentium-M to Core2Duo line of cpus.

I think so, but discussion is interesting, if others have thoughts on this.

AMD needs to have some of that attitude I think, and may indeed have some, as one person pointed out.
June 26, 2008 10:32:10 PM

So if Intel was saved by the Israelis...then Hezbollah must be the savior of AM...

*scampers off to catch a flight to Beirut with suitcases full of cash*
June 26, 2008 10:40:25 PM

You dug up a thread that's been dead for over a year for that?
:sarcastic: 
June 26, 2008 10:56:19 PM

I am far too busy to read silly things like time stamps...but don't worry, my embarassment will keep me warm tonight.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!