Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My MB doesn't have vista drivers yet. Will Vista work?

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 10, 2007 11:18:13 AM

I ran upgrade advisor and it said I can run Vista but Gigabyte doesn't have Vista drivers for my mother board. Will Vista still work if I upgrade to it?

My current PC Specs.
Here's my specs:
GIGABYTE "GA-8IK1100" i875P
Intel Prescott 3.2E
Aquagate Water cooling System
OCZ 4GB (4 x 1GB) PC 3200 Dual Channel Platinum System Memory
Supertalent memory cooler
HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X850XT IceQ II Turbo VIVO 256MB AGP
Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with 8MB Cache
Seagate 200GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with 8MB Cache
CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
MSI SATA 52x CDRW/DVD
Benq 1655 DVD-RW
Ultra X-Connect2 550W PSU
Windows XP Pro w/sp2
Microtek ScanMaker V6USL
Canon i9900
at&t/Yahoo DSL
February 10, 2007 4:03:47 PM

Don't rely on Gigabyte for drivers. Instead, use the chipset manufacturer's website... they all should have Vista drivers posted by now. Vista most likely has drivers already anyway.
February 11, 2007 5:13:52 PM

mine also said it didnt have the drivers on asus... but it works perfectly fine.
April 1, 2007 7:53:21 AM

Typically the only thing you will have a difficult issue with (now or in the past) is the storage drivers. Most graphics will support vga and do not present a problem. WRT storage, if you are just using a 'normal' interface (single drive, ide or sata), whatever you have should work. If on the otherhand you want to use some unique device or something that doesn't support adaptec's scsi interface you may have issues.

In the current build, I know that MS supports ich7r (and probably the entire ich chipset) so I had no problems booting directly into Intel's matrix raid interface.

If you are building your own system and you are using something that is non-standard, you should first determine if your board's chipset is supported in the current Vista release or (at least and worst case) if you can get a driver from the mfg that you can add, using the 'f6' install interface. F6 used to only support floppies but I hear rumors that it may work with both optical and USB drives (we can only hope).

GOOD LUCK.
!