GA-965P-S3 vs GA-965P-DS3

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Make sure that you get Version 3.3 and not 1.3 as Newegg is selling both. V3.3 is fully Penryn compatible by having a 1333 FSB. This will help "future proof" your system.

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Make sure that you get Version 3.3 and not 1.3 as Newegg is selling both. V3.3 is fully Penryn compatible by having a 1333 FSB. This will help "future proof" your system.
To be honest since Im getting it from Amazon... I guess I have to wait till it arrives home to see what version is it...

I dont care about future proof for now.
But, is V1.3 or V1.1 bad or gonna damage my system or something like that? (Maybe amazon ships that one, I dunno).

Thanks for your help :)

sabenfox

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006

i was looking into getting the P35, i was under the assumption that this was the first board to be compatiable with both core2 duo, and penryn, so i'm guessing this is not the case now

what is the difference between the GA-965 series and the P35 chipset, or is there one ?

diabloazul126

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
The difference between the v1.3 and v3.3 is just the fact that there is only one fan header on the mobo and the audio codec is older on the onboard sound on the 1.3. And they both support 1333mhz fsb, not necessarily the new Penryn features.

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Some clarification. V1.3 natively supports 1066 FSB which is what Gigabyte's manual states. Download here. Now, if you go to V1.3's website, it states is supports 1333 FSB.

Now, if you go to V3.3, here, it states this is the World's First Natively supported 1333MHz FSB.

I think the web is "partially" correct in stating that V1.3 supports 1333FSB because you have to overclock it to this. The manual is indeed correct as far as "native" support.

For non-overclockers, V3.3 will natively support Penryn.

I'm assuming when DiabloAzul126 says that V1.3 supports 1333FSB is just referring that you can overclock it to this.

diabloazul126

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Well, don't know why they would just re-release a 1066 Mobo with a new revision so here's where i was basing my info:
The major differences between various revisions are:

* Rev. 1.0: FSB 1066MHz, one system fan header, ALC883 (Vista Basic Logo)
* Rev. 1.3: FSB 1333MHz, one system fan header, ALC883
* Rev. 2.0: FSB 1066MHz, three system fan headers, ALC888 (Vista Premium Logo)
* Rev. 3.3: FSB 1333MHz, three system fan headers, ALC888

Just a quote from anandtech forums, so I dunno how reliable it would be.

But the date on Gigabyte's manual online is almost a year old... so it's probably not revised for Rev 1.3 which is a month old.
And on Gigabyte's specifications page it says:
1. Supports Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad-Core / Core™2 Duo / Intel® Pentium® Extreme/ Intel® Pentium® D processor
2. Supports 1333/1066/800/533 MHz FSB

Oh ya, and the Rev3.3 came out quite a bit before the Rev1.3, thus making the 3.3 the first to support it. Never have I seen a company state what a fsb could be overclocked to meet a certain standard. Why not just say supports FSB 1600Mhz? It's possible under the same reasoning. It's probably just a BIOS revision anyway. :-/

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
V1.3 came out after V3.3, that has me thoroughly confused. :? I thought V3.3 would of come out after V1.3.

I went to Gigabyte's website and V2.0 says it supports only 1066FSB while V1.3 does. This is messed up.

I guess there's more for me to learn here. I won't add on to any more possible misleading statements until I get my facts straightened out.

diabloazul126

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Ya rev 1.3 just started showing up during the last week or two. Rev 3.3 has been around for longer.. but not that much longer.

So Rev 3.3 is an update to Rev 2 while Rev 1.3 is an update to Rev 1... or something

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Dang :?
This is utterly confusing... all this revision thing got me dizzy.

So if v1.3 is newer than the old and cranky v3.3, why does it only have 1 fan? :?

Now Im giving a second thought to this... since I already stated I cant trust amazon, because they might ship v0.1alpha, isnt there another cheap, good, reliable MoBo out there? (I dont care if it supports penryn, whatever that is -new Intel with 8 cores? :?)

Thanks for your replies and your time :)

diabloazul126

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Just get an S3, it's basically the same as the DS3 Rev 1.3(but no 1333FSB support), but probably cheaper.. the solid capacitors just up the life of a cap from like 7 to 10 years... if you're still using the same mobo in 5 years you're going to want to caps to explode because of how behind in technology you are. Oh ya.. and you can probably just OC the FSB up to 1600 on an S3 anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Penryn is the next gen intel chip (45nm) set to start shipping like 8 months, probably will eventually get up to octo-core with that thing since they're hoping to do native quad on that or something. don't worry about it unless you NEEEED DDR3 PCI-e V2.0 and all the mumbo jumbo.

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Just get an S3, it's basically the same as the DS3 Rev 1.3(but no 1333FSB support), but probably cheaper.. the solid capacitors just up the life of a cap from like 7 to 10 years... if you're still using the same mobo in 5 years you're going to want to caps to explode because of how behind in technology you are. Oh ya.. and you can probably just OC the FSB up to 1600 on an S3 anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Penryn is the next gen intel chip (45nm) set to start shipping like 8 months, probably will eventually get up to octo-core with that thing since they're hoping to do native quad on that or something. don't worry about it unless you NEEEED DDR3 PCI-e V2.0 and all the mumbo jumbo.
Oh thanks man :)
Well, its currently the best option for me (S3) considering it ships for free from amazon, while the DS3 carries shipping costs and the "problem" of having to deal with another retailer (amazon's partner).

I was worried about the capacitors, but frankly as long as I can just raise the FSB in the intel, Im fine, and as long as it lasts for a couple of years, its fine for me too.
And penryn support doesnt take my sleep, because I usually never think of "future-proof", since I rather get new stuff than updating something that is old (well thats just my point of view).

Even S3 v1.0 vs DS3 v1.3 doesnt look that bad.

However there is one think, what are the system fan headers and what difference would it make to have 3 instead of one?

Thanks again :)

diabloazul126

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Ya, the fan headers are what make me wince as I kind of need three or four of them (CPU and two or three case fans). I think I need three, but there aren't and good mobos at a decent price with 3 fan headers except for the DS3 v3.3. :-/

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Ya, the fan headers are what make me wince as I kind of need three or four of them (CPU and two or three case fans). I think I need three, but there aren't and good mobos at a decent price with 3 fan headers except for the DS3 v3.3. :-/
I see, but then I dont seem to understand why you need more than one? :?
I mean checking in google, fan headers are that thing that gets plugged around the socket and from the heatsink?
Then why more than 1? :? Or maybe the videocards now also need another one? 8O

DSCF0011.JPG

Thanks.

diabloazul126

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Two out of my three case fans use 3-pin connectors one uses a 4-pin molex + my cpu heatsink uses one. That's why. 3 to 4 pin adapters are ugly and my case is pretty.
DSCN0409.jpg

The front grille fan needs a 3 pin and the side vent needs a 3-pin.

But ya, that's just me.. lots of case setups only need the one plug for the cpu HSF.

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
I see DiabloAzul126.

But sorry Im still in the blue here.
If the MoBo only has 1 fan header, then it means I cannot connect other fans?

I mean I put a couple of extra case fans in my current PC, and I plug them into the forest of cables that come outta my PSU... so I dont see the relationship here :?

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004
hijack!
which one is better for overclocking? or are those two generally not the best for overclocking and are other mobo's better (at the same price with 650i)
some specs:
e6400
2gig xms ram 800mhz
not sure what mobo (thats what im asking :D )
thermalright ultra extreme

diabloazul126

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
minty, no lots of fans just use the same 4-pin connectors that your drives use, or the fans come with adapters that let them connect that way, I just chose not to use the adapters as it adds more clutter to my case. So in short, you'll only be able to connect one fan to draw power via the motherboard, but you can probably just connect the rest to standard power cables anyway, so it's nothing big to worry about.
Adapters like this come standard with most fans that are 3-pin to start:
cables_7_lp4.jpg

Or else it would just be a 4 pin straight from the fan to start.[/img]

Sharp, the DS3 is said to be one of the best, but the S3 can still get some outrageous overclocks apparently being related and all. Compared to the 650 series... I'm not sure; I think the P965 chipset comes out on top maybe not?... sorry.

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Ohhhh, sorry for bothering you so much DiabloAzul126, thanks a lot :)

I get it now, then yeah... one fan header is enough for me.