why does this *ALWAYS* happen to my documents / shared doc..

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

http://www.rtdos.com/downloads/docfolder.JPG

See photo; For some reason now, document folders are no longer showing up
in the start menu (or other areas of explorer) as the "username Documents"
but as you can see all show up as "My Documents" and shared documents
simply comes up as "Documents".

Is there a fix?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Type this command in Start/Run:

rundll32 mydocs.dll,PerUserInit

This fixes the Desktop.ini for the My Documents and it's sub-folders for the
currently logged on user. Run this command under every other user profile
(login). Additionally, to fix the Desktop.ini for the Shared Documents
folder, see:

http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq/#faq3_shared_documents

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"(ProteanThread)" <reply@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
> http://www.rtdos.com/downloads/docfolder.JPG
>
> See photo; For some reason now, document folders are no longer showing up
> in the start menu (or other areas of explorer) as the "username Documents"
> but as you can see all show up as "My Documents" and shared documents
> simply comes up as "Documents".
>
> Is there a fix?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Would this command also make it possible for me to create new folders whose
filenames would appear directly under My Computer in the Windows Explorer
hierarchy?

Joan

> Type this command in Start/Run:
>
> rundll32 mydocs.dll,PerUserInit
>
> This fixes the Desktop.ini for the My Documents and it's sub-folders for
> the currently logged on user. Run this command under every other user
> profile (login). Additionally, to fix the Desktop.ini for the Shared
> Documents folder, see:
>
> http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq/#faq3_shared_documents
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "(ProteanThread)" <reply@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
>> http://www.rtdos.com/downloads/docfolder.JPG
>>
>> See photo; For some reason now, document folders are no longer showing up
>> in the start menu (or other areas of explorer) as the "username
>> Documents"
>> but as you can see all show up as "My Documents" and shared documents
>> simply comes up as "Documents".
>>
>> Is there a fix?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"folder".

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Would this command also make it possible for me to create new folders
> whose filenames would appear directly under My Computer in the Windows
> Explorer hierarchy?
>
> Joan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

When you select My Computer, directly under which I seek to create new
folders, then click "File," the option "New" does not present itself. That
option only appears at lower levels of the Windows Explorer hierarchy.

"» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "folder".
>
> --
> Just my 2¢ worth,
> Jeff
> "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Would this command also make it possible for me to create new folders
>> whose filenames would appear directly under My Computer in the Windows
>> Explorer hierarchy?
>>
>> Joan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

No, it won't.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User