Sign in with
Your question

Lower heat/power replacement for Celeron D Prescott?

Last response: in CPUs
April 25, 2007 5:29:56 PM

Hi. I have a home server in a closet that's built on an Asus Vintage PE-1 barebones. I put a Celeron D Prescott 2.66 MHz CPU, a gig of RAM, and four hard drives in it and it preforms well enough for my print, file, music, and light web serving needs. It sits in a closet with a couple of water heaters and that closet gets pretty hot and it seems like the majority of the heat is coming from the computer.
I know the Prescott cores are known to run hot, so with the prices of that era of CPU being pretty low these days I'd like to see if I can get a cheap replacement that would significantly reduce the amount of head generated and hopefully the amount of power consumed too. While looking at CPUs it wasn't clear which ones would work in this system, and which would actually produce less heat and/or use less power.

Is there a "no-brainer" solution to this? I know I could just beef up the cooling, run fresh air to the closet and stuff like that but I'd rather reduce heat and power consumption than engineer ways to work around it. Any suggestions welcomed!

Thanks!
April 25, 2007 6:02:47 PM

for starters you could take the sides off of the case. That will help with airflow problems if you have any. I doubt any Core2's will work in that system. It has the proper socket but that still doesn't mean it will work. I reckon ya just leave it how it is or find a better spot for it than next to objects that produce heat. Let it out of the closet ;) 
April 25, 2007 7:02:08 PM

Quote:
Socket 775 and socket AM2 cpus are pretty cheap now but they wont fit in your system.
Im assuming your system is socket 478. They all run hot and a replacement socket 478 cpu would run just as hot or hotter.

Wow. This is about as wrong as it gets. Unfortunately this is a socket 775 mobo, meaning he's stuck with prescott, perhaps cedar mill will work. IF it was a socket 478, he could have easily used a Northwood P4, which run very, very cool (temps idle in the 20s, maxes in the 30s). My passively cooled 2.4C idles at 18-20C, and loads at 26-28C.

For being here as long as you have, you're still a huge newb.
April 25, 2007 7:17:23 PM

Thanks for the info.

I think I may just take a better cooling approach for the room. I have access to the outside from there, but don't want to bring it in during the winter. It gets really cold here and that would be a waste of energy. I have some ideas involving ducts, ac cooling fans, and a cooling thermostat. I'll try to set it up to vent to the outside in the summer, and see if I can switch it to vent to the inside to make use of the extra heat in the winter.

When I finally need a new mobo/cpu I'll choose more carefully to get a more efficent one.
!