Sign in with
Your question
Closed

XP Pro To Vista Home Premium

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 11, 2007 7:25:27 PM

I have XP Pro now installed, i have a XP home cd if necessary, but can i just install home premium over pro or is that not even allowed by MS
thanks in advance
k ive been reading some stuff and it says i must do a clean install does that mean i have to buy the full version and not hte upgrade version?

More about : pro vista home premium

Best solution

February 12, 2007 3:40:51 AM

All you need is the upgrade DVD. So long as your WinXP Pro install is legit, Vista Home Premium will install over it just fine. I just upgraded my laptop from WinXP Pro to Vista Home Premium using the upgrade route.

Just make sure you get the 32bit version.
February 12, 2007 8:55:21 PM

alright thank you very much
Related resources
June 1, 2007 8:27:20 AM

I actually just bought the Vista Premium upgrade and it wouldn't allow me to just "upgrade." I actually had to do a full install :/ 
June 5, 2007 3:01:18 AM

can you still do the full install using the "upgrade" dvd? or do i have to pay for the full version even though i have the upgrade.

THIS SUCKS!!! any help would be appreciated.

Cici
June 5, 2007 5:27:40 AM

You can do a full install using the upgrade disc... you can even do a clean install using the upgrade disc... no need to install XP or anything else. Someone posted a link explaining how to do a clean install using the upgrade disc.
June 5, 2007 2:49:32 PM

Upgrade paths:

XP Home -> Vista Home Premium, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, Vista Enterprise

XP Pro -> Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, Vista Enterprise

XP Pro -> Vista Home Premium requires a "clean install"

Found this out the hard way and was pissed!!!

Then again, it's normally better to do a clean install, but I just did a clean install of XP Professional a month before I got Vista (didn't think I was going to get it, but eventually did).
!