Two memory questions, 4 x 512 vs 2 x 1GB + 3GB too?!?

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Hi all!

I currently have Corsair TwinX 6400 512MB as my RAM, dual channel.

a) I either want to get another TwinX 512MB to make 2GB, and hopefully these would all run in dual channel.

OR

b) Get TwinX 1GB to get 2GB, sell the TwinX 512MB.

OR

c) Get TwinX 1GB to get 2GB, add the TwinX 512MB, end up with 3GB.

Is there any difference between a) and b) with speed? Is 1GB x 2 better than 512 x 4?

With c) will WinXP start to get confused with 3GB of RAM?

These would all be Corsair TwinX 6400 DDRII.

Thanks!

Mondoman

Splendid
I'd go with the 3GB total RAM.
As long as you have a high-quality MB and high-quality RAM (your RAM is high quality), you shouldn't have a problem with 4x512MB, but you will have room for future expansion if you go with the 2x1GB. Also, OCing will probably work better with 2 DIMMs than with 4 DIMMs.

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
I have a Gigabyte DS3.

Thanks for the help.

Is there a big increase in power consumption with four sticks instead of two?

And you're saying 2 x 1GB will be more stable / faster than 4 x 512MB?

2 x 1GB and 2 x 512MB would be a bad idea, as would 4 x 512MB?

4 x 512MB would let me save $50, and I've heard there isn't much different in performance between 2GB and anything more.

4 sticks shouldn't add a signifigant power draw vs 2.

Is that an AMD or Intel? I ask because my comp nearly died when I put 4 sticks in, but that was DDR1. I forgot to set it to 1T command rate, so the comp crashed. After I fixed the problem, SLI stopped working. I had to send my A8N-SLI in for repair. I am still not sure why this happened, though.

I can't remember if XP detects 2.5 or 3 or somewhere inbetween. I know it doesn't do 4GB.

(edit)
Yeah, I have found 2GB to be plenty for 99% of apps & games.

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Well, I've only got 380watt PSU, and a 7900GTO, Core2 4300 OC to 3Ghz so I'm already pushing it, but it's an Enermax, and it's given me no problems for six months, so I guess it's OK...
So it's 3GB, 2 x 512, 2 x 1GB, all in favor say Aye...

Mondoman

Splendid
Also, OCing will probably work better with 2 DIMMs than with 4 DIMMs.

why do you say that? ....
It's not a power issue, it's a signal strength issue. Since our MBs use unbuffered RAM, the signals from the memory controller just spread out to reach all the DIMMs. Every extra DIMM installed means (essentially) that the signals are now divided among more DIMMs, making the signals weaker at each individual DIMM. Thus, the memory system is less robust with 4 DIMMs installed; on some MBs and/or with certain DIMMs installed, the memory won't even work properly at normal speed with 4 DIMMs installed.
Less robustness just means less chance of success when overclocking, not that it will definitely fail.
A better-quality chipset (e.g. Intel), a better-quality MB, and better-quality DIMMs all help to reduce the susceptibility to this problem.