Software Raid and Dual Boot

Jose_R

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Hi, I'm a mac user looking to build a dual boot xp 32bit/linux x64 workstation machine. I would like to configure two sata drives in a software 0 raid. Based on this writeup its a bit of a complicated affair. (At least, compared to setting up a software raid in OSX disk utility.)

Firstly, is it possible to run 32bit/64bit OSs in this setup? Or must they both be same architecture?

I plan to use two WD Raptor 10k 150gb drives. If I can actually do the above will there be a significant performance boost as compared to using each drive individually?

I plan to use mainly 2D apps with some 3D. Photo based work mostly, managing large image files and batch processing. Some gameplay on the side, but nothing serious.

Currently, I use an iMac ppc running OSX. And an iBook G3 running Ubuntu. (Will be converting over to Fluxbuntu when its released in April.)

linux_0

Splendid
I would recommend true hardware RAID over software RAID.

Also RAID0 may be fast but it is very risky.

If you have N drives in the array the probability you will lose all your data is approximately N!

If any one drive in a RAID0 array fails you will lose all your data.

The onboard RAID on most motherboards is not true hardware RAID rather it is hybrid hardware/software RAID and should be avoided if you can afford true hardware RAID.

3Ware, Adaptec, Areca and LSI make good hardware RAID controllers.

GL :-D

PS What kind of hardware do you plan to use? Please be as specific as possible.

Jose_R

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Would this card work: Bytecc PCIe SATA + PATA Raid Card

Considering the risk you mentioned in a 0 Raid array, would the more reasonable approach then be Raid 1? Less speed, more secure.

PS What kind of hardware do you plan to use? Please be as specific as possible.

Lian Li PC-A16B case
WD 150GB Raptor 10k (x2)
Nexus Internal HD Enclosures
Samsung DVDR SATA SH-S183L
EVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX
EVGA 640-P2-N825-AR 8800GTS
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
C2D E6600 2.4GHz
CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX PS
Koutech 4-Port FireWire 1394b/1394a PCIe
BYTECC PCIe SATA II 300 + PATA Raid Card
Scythe 120mm Fans x 4/Kama Bay

Jose_R

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
woah, them are expensive cards... :cry:

I'll probably go with the 3Ware since its PCIe (x1).

Many thanks for the help.

linux_0

Splendid
3Ware cards are expensive but they tend to work flawlessly.

They also have great support for Linux / BSD /etc and since they are true hardware RAID cards they will support any reasonable operating system.

3Ware software and drivers also tend to be very good.

Areca is also quite good. Their hardware is great, their proprietary software less so but the open source drivers are good.

:-D