Sign in with
Your question

fc6 installation hangs at /sbin/loader

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
February 12, 2007 8:42:48 PM

hi!
i am trying to install fedora core6 on my comp...but the installation hangs at "loading /sbin/loader".....i tried "ide=nodma' but wont work.......
even the live cd doesnt work !
please help me out......
my config. is
intel e6400@2.4 ghz
asus p5w dh deluxe mobo
2x512 mb ram ddr2 800 corsair
250 gb hd seagate sata 2
etc....
February 12, 2007 11:05:42 PM

Get a new motherboard

or try the following kernel parameters:

noapic acpi=off

or try using the Silicon Image SATA controller instead with SATA to PATA converters if you have to

finally try the JMicron controller

GL :-D

Quote:
hi!
i am trying to install fedora core6 on my comp...but the installation hangs at "loading /sbin/loader".....i tried "ide=nodma' but wont work.......
even the live cd doesnt work !
please help me out......
my config. is
intel e6400@2.4 ghz
asus p5w dh deluxe mobo
2x512 mb ram ddr2 800 corsair
250 gb hd seagate sata 2
etc....
February 13, 2007 4:39:06 PM

the problem you are having reminds me quite a bit of an issue that I had (and still have to some degree). For a long time, I couldn't use liveCDs or install FC5 or FC6 because the disk wouldn't even make it to anaconda. I eventually found out that my motherboard has incredibly shitty support for apic and acpi, so i learned I could get around that by using the kernel options when the disk first loads a prompt for you.

At the prompt I attached options like noacpi, acpi=off, noapic, nolapic

Try a combination of one or more to see which will work for you. If there are any other apic/acpi related kernel options available, try those too.

Be warned though, since you have a newer board, this might not be the problem since in theory the implimentation of ACPI should be better by now. HOWEVER, seeing as how you have an ASUS board like I do (although mine is quite a bit older), you might as well give it a shot and see what works for you.

After all the heartache my motherboard has given me, I don't think I will be trusting ASUS again any time soon :( 

-Zorak
Related resources
May 23, 2011 9:45:06 AM

I had the exact same problem with an old compaq 5013 - very old - but both Redhat and Oralce Linux. Both stoped at /sbin/loader during the install from CDROM. I read the post below and tried a few notes without sucess.

The screen flickers just after /sbin/loader - like it trying to start up the installation GUI.

I checked the BIOS and my onboard video controller was set to grab 8MB of memory for Video - I was able to increase it to 32MB - and the installation of Oracle Linux 6 - now works.
May 23, 2011 9:41:42 PM

Those thread hasn't been posted in in over 4 years. I don't think it's much of an issue anymore ;) 
May 24, 2011 1:39:38 PM

I mean who the hell would want to run an Oracle product anyway after what they've done with Sun / OpenOffice / Java....
May 24, 2011 7:03:26 PM

audiovoodoo said:
I mean who the hell would want to run an Oracle product anyway after what they've done with Sun / OpenOffice / Java....

I thought we all agreed we wouldn't mention this :( 
!